What's new

Little advice please

Jerri

Postman
Okay, quick q about temp control. Vaped for years but only just got into TC.

I picked up some of these to mess about with while I wait for my handmade SS coils to arrive.

https://flavour-boss.co.uk/product/vandy-vape-fused-clapton-coil-10-pack/

I thought using kanthal in temp control was a no go, and using Ni in power mode was a no go.

So given those coils say kanthal core with Ni, what mode am I supposed to vape them in?

Or am I just being dumb and missing something obvious?

None of these wires will work.

You need to grab some wire that has a temperature coefficient rate (or TCR). Kanthal and Ni80 don't have this, what you need is some type of stainless steel (304/316/317/...), titanium, nickel, NiFe30,... wire.

This temperature coefficient rate is what makes temp control work. You might be confused because of the different nickel wire types. Ni80 and Ni90 are nickel + chrome alloys that are suited for regular wattage vaping, but not for TC because it has no TCR. What you want is Ni200 which is plain nickel wire.

Be extremely careful with Ni200 if you choose to go with it, it's not suited for dry burning!

Okay, quick q about temp control. Vaped for years but only just got into TC.

I picked up some of these to mess about with while I wait for my handmade SS coils to arrive.

https://flavour-boss.co.uk/product/vandy-vape-fused-clapton-coil-10-pack/

I thought using kanthal in temp control was a no go, and using Ni in power mode was a no go.

So given those coils say kanthal core with Ni, what mode am I supposed to vape them in?

Or am I just being dumb and missing something obvious?
The search for knowledge is never considered 'dumb".
NI, is the setting for NI200. It's actually the wire most TCs are calibrated to.

It is possible to use hybrid metal coils in TC. I'm personally not that well up on, them. But I do know Kanthal and NI80 will not work in TC, even in combination.

None of these wires will work.

You need to grab some wire that has a temperature coefficient rate (or TCR). Kanthal and Ni80 don't have this, what you need is some type of stainless steel (304/316/317/...), titanium, nickel, NiFe30,... wire.

This temperature coefficient rate is what makes temp control work. You might be confused because of the different nickel wire types. Ni80 and Ni90 are nickel + chrome alloys that are suited for regular wattage vaping, but not for TC because it has no TCR. What you want is Ni200 which is plain nickel wire.

Be extremely careful with Ni200 if you choose to go with it, it's not suited for dry burning!

Thank you!

Seems I have some more research to do. I’ve just wrongly assumed Ni was Ni and was to be used in TC mode.

So those coils I just use in regular power mode?

I think I’ll stick to SS for the time being until I’ve done a bit more research.

Stick with it. It can be frustrating. Sadly most mods, that claim TC, don't implement it well at all. Even spending extra money, doesn't guarantee it functioning. But, when it's all setup, it's bye bye to dry hits.
Those coils would be fine in Wattage, Voltage and bypass modes.

stick with SS, but look into NI200. Would be my advice.

The search for knowledge is never considered 'dumb".
NI, is the setting for NI200. It's actually the wire most TCs are calibrated to.

It is possible to use hybrid metal coils in TC. I'm personally not that well up on, them. But I do know Kanthal and NI80 will not work in TC, even in combination.

I’ve actually been using one of them in TC mode and it was vaping fine but then I took a proper look at the label. Have swapped the coil out for an SS coil now!

hope I’ve not damaged myself .

Stick with it. It can be frustrating. Sadly most mods, that claim TC, don't implement it well at all. Even spending extra money, doesn't guarantee it functioning. But, when it's all setup, it's bye bye to dry hits.
Those coils would be fine in Wattage, Voltage and bypass modes.

stick with SS, but look into NI200. Would be my advice.

Thank you I will do.

I’ve actually been using one of them in TC mode and it was vaping fine but then I took a proper look at the label. Have swapped the coil out for an SS coil now!

hope I’ve not damaged myself .
Some mods kick you out, some don't. I'm not aware running TC with none TC wire, does any harm. But could be wrong. Rest assured, most of us have done it.

There's a big chance that your mod will fire like always when using TC with non-TC wire. No risk of harm, it's only when you use titanium or Ni200 without TC that you have a serious risk.

There's a big chance that your mod will fire like always when using TC with non-TC wire. No risk of harm, it's only when you use titanium or Ni200 without TC that you have a serious risk.
Underrate post this. Well said.
Though there's no mechanical danger from using these wires outside TC mode. Both wires can be overheated so the may melt and cause both fire and the emission to truly nasty gasses.

Back
Top Bottom