What's new

Table of wick/wire resistances

Wahhhh head test lol

So 5mm wick has approx double the circumference of 2.5mm wick, but 4x the area.

15.7mm circumference for 5mm wick so approx 15.7mm of wire

2 strands of 2.5mm wick would have an outer wind length of 12.85mm.

This stuff is baffling, and the numbers might need to be tweaked up by 10-15% at a glance

Well, not 10% but approx 4mm extra wire length to any given coil. What do you reckon @todd?

I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from, I was starting to think I was going mad. @todd - can you see the confusion between 2 x 2.5mm and 1 x 5mm not being double ??

Bearing in mind that if 2 wicks were placed together then technically the Kanthal wouldn't be going 'all' the way around both wicks.

Last edited:
To compound matters...

If you get a set of callipers on wick, especially for 3mm upwards the diameter isn't accurate

For example, the 5mm wick measures up at 3.75mm

ffs

The measurement must be it's wet diameter.

So the coil that I've just made round the 5mm wick, the winds are approx 3.75mm in diameter

Last edited:
LOL, a HUGE can of worms just opened up :D

Right that's it - after the 'can of worms comment' I actually starting day dreaming and thinking of the circumference of a worm and would I chop it in half to double wick it or simply fold it over. I then started thinking of ekowool and whether I should peel the worm and remove it's guts to replicate the ekowool..........this tells me that I'm giving all this waaaaaaaay too much thought and as I have my Kayfuns running perfectly I don't know why exactly I'm sitting here with my scientific calculator so bollocks to it. Back to a double wick of 3mm and .20 Kanthal. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

Right that's it - after the 'can of worms comment' I actually starting day dreaming and thinking of the circumference of a worm and would I chop it in half to double wick it or simply fold it over. I then started thinking of ekowool and whether I should peel the worm and remove it's guts to replicate the ekowool..........this tells me that I'm giving all this waaaaaaaay too much thought and as I have my Kayfuns running perfectly I don't know why exactly I'm sitting here with my scientific calculator so bollocks to it. Back to a double wick of 3mm and .20 Kanthal. :grin2::grin2::grin2:

If peter uses 3 mm silica and Judy adds 1.5mm, then john ads a single strand from a 2.5mm and dose 4 wraps of 20 gauge niobium wire, how many ohms do you get ?

Explain your answer in the vast space provided

:D

sent from the land of make believe using POTV mobile app

If peter uses 3 mm silica and Judy adds 1.5mm, then john ads a single strand from a 2.5mm and dose 4 wraps of 20 gauge niobium wire, how many ohms do you get ?

Explain your answer in the vast space provided

:D

How tight are the coils wahhhhh

Only ever got as far as billy blue hat book never even see Jenifer red hat, I'd left secondary by then lol

Back
Top Bottom