What's new

Ohm's increased after pressing ''yes'' to ''New coil' and atomizer short?

VoKks9

I bought a Smok morph today and it's been working fine up until one point. I swapped the batteries and it asked me the ''new coil'' question after turning it back on with a fresh pair of batteries. I accidentally pressed yes been as the mod is touchscreen and my thumbs are big lol but didn't think it would make much difference. But actually, it did, and the ohms it was reading increased from 0.15 to 0.5 suddenly and when I took a puff on it it felt like id turned the wattage up by 50 watts, it was warmer and I could clearly feel more power being put out than the standard 30watts I have a vape on. Then after being startled and a bit shook ( as I'm quite a paranoid individual) I pressed the firing button again away from my mouth and it wouldn't fire, whilst displaying ''atomizer short''.

So, I unscrewed the tank and put it back on, then took out the batteries and then put them back in. This prompted the ''new coil'' message and this time I looked and if I pressed ''no'' the resistance would stay at 0.5, but if I pressed ''yes'' (which I did) it would go back to 0.15. This doesn't seem right to me, why would the ohms it's reading suddenly increase or decrease based on whether or not I press ''Yes'' or ''No'' on the ''new coil?'' question? and if I was too put a higher resistance coil in, why would the power output suddenly increase too? Surely 30watts should be and feel like 30watts regardless of the coil I use?

This has made me really paranoid about using the device, Can anyone put me at ease with any explanation for this? Or am I right to be paranoid and should discontinue use?

I have had that happen and remedied it the same way you did. I still use that mod no issues. I wouldn't worry. The exact science behind the why's I'll leave to a more intelligent mind to explain than I posses.

I have had that happen and remedied it the same way you did. I still use that mod no issues. I wouldn't worry. The exact science behind the why's I'll leave to a more intelligent mind to explain than I posses.

Ahh ok, I haven't used it since posting in case something was actually wrong with the mod. But thanks for the response! My mind can rest and I can get back to vaping aha.

If you get the message New Coil on the screen, always click yes, and check the ohms reading is what the coil is rated at. If there is a huge discrepancy in the reading, take off the tank and try again.

The reason it displays atomizer short is because the first firing was what it thought was 0.5, and the coil reading after that it realises has dropped dramatically, which is why it prevents it from firing (one of its many protections).

What caused the initial high reading is unknown, but if i replace the battery on my Smok AL85, i always take the tank off first as it has a slight tendancy to read a higher ohm on battery insertion, but no issue if the tank is off first.

Only say YES to new coil if the tank and coil are cool (at room temperature), the resistance fluctuates when the coil is heated, this is why mods ask if it's a new coil so it can lock the resistance.

Generally if your using the same coil and the resistance was correct; if it asks if it's a 'new coil' select NO

If you get the message New Coil on the screen, always click yes, and check the ohms reading is what the coil is rated at. If there is a huge discrepancy in the reading, take off the tank and try again.

The reason it displays atomizer short is because the first firing was what it thought was 0.5, and the coil reading after that it realises has dropped dramatically, which is why it prevents it from firing (one of its many protections).

What caused the initial high reading is unknown, but if i replace the battery on my Smok AL85, i always take the tank off first as it has a slight tendancy to read a higher ohm on battery insertion, but no issue if the tank is off first.
A smok misreading ohms, unknown, really. LOL.
Does seem a late discrepancy though.

Back
Top Bottom