What's new

Samsung Cease and Desist order?

canada16

Postman
I just got a email from a vape shop to say Samsung have issued a Cease and Desist against all Vape shops.

I cant see this on Fogstar or anything, but the email came from Vaping101 so it seems legit.

Whats going on with this?

https://www.pure-eliquids.com/blog/...ng-devices-heres-everything-you-need-to-know/

Samsung’s warning to 18650 Battery users

Lithium-ion batteries from Samsung have now been listed on its website as “not intended” for use in e-cigarette devices. In fact, Samsung goes even further, suggesting that to do so would result in “fire or explosion”, causing “serious injury or property damage”. These batteries have been sold in error by vape wholesales and outlets for the best part of 2 years or more after the Samsung declaration as it was not well publicised.

While some may see this as a minor caution, it’s worth recalling the news stories that have surfaced in recent years, with 18650 batteries causing explosions and serious bodily harm. In some cases, non-genuine batteries were the culprits, but it’s worth bearing this risk in mind when choosing to use any lithium-ion battery.

What to do if you’ve purchased a Samsung 18650 battery
Many companies in the UK have sold these batteries without being made aware of the risks, including retailers like Amazon, but responsible vape companies have now made the decision to remove the battery from sale.

If you own a Samsung iNR18650-25R battery, we would recommend refraining from using this battery as per Samsung’s warning and dispose of the battery in an environmentally friendly way. Your local retailers may run battery take-back schemes, or you can visit your local recycling centre for safe disposal.

That's just Samsung then and Sony 18650s are good to go?

The article specifically mentions the Samsung iNR18650-25R battery. However I suspect it's a general catchall to cover the manufacturers as these cells were only intended to be used in battery packs.

Officially the only batteries that are intended for vaping are the Molicel ones I believe

My guess is it's just covering their arse in case they get sued when something goes wrong. When that happens they can honestly say "we told them not to sell/use them for vaping, sue someone else."

With the lack of knowledge about lithium battery safety among the general public - who's previous experience is likely to have been with much safer alkaline batteries - and the growth of vaping the chance of accidents become more likely. With the demonisation of vaping by the gutter press and dodgy politicians and vested interests lawsuits become more likely to happen and more likely to succeed. It's an understandable move but annoying to people who do know what they are doing with them and how to do it safely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom