What's new

Table of wick/wire resistances

I think to get somewhere near to the numbers we know, it should be Pi times Diameter for circumference multiplied by the number of winds.

I think what we call 5 winds is actually 4.5 (Or what I call 5 winds is actually 4.5)

Then divide the ohms per metre of whichever wire by 1000 and multiply by the length of wire.

I'm no mathematician but I think that would give some fairly accurate results.

So 3mm wick with 4 winds of 0.20mm

3mm wick circumference 9.425mm * 4.5 winds = 42.41mm

43.60 / 1000 = 0.0436 ohms per mm

0.0436 x 42.41 = 1.84ohms

I know there's flaws to this, as for novas there are the legs, and coils can be tight or loose or on the pish

It'll never be an 'exact' science due to the above and each RBA will require a different amount of kanthal to reach the posts. stealthvape I normally do 4 winds which I class as 4.5 so even there it will be different as you class 4.5 as a 5 turn - shit, this is confusing but I know what I mean. That said, the chart you've done is a superb idea and to be honest it'll be a perfect guide for anyone new to RBA's as well as being a good guide for those experienced to use as a reference point without having to re-coil just to find out what the ohms should be.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the time I'm too fucking lazy to re wick my Kayfun when it needs it, let alone re wick it just as an experiment, so that chart is top draw - I only wish I wasn't so lazy or I'd be wicking and coiling tonight just to fill it in.

It'll never be an 'exact' science due to the above and each RBA will require a different amount of kanthal to reach the posts. @stealthvape I normally do 4 winds which I class as 4.5 so even there it will be different as you class 4.5 as a 5 turn - shit, this is confusing but I know what I mean. That said, the chart you've done is a superb idea and to be honest it'll be a perfect guide for anyone new to RBA's as well as being a good guide for those experienced to use as a reference point without having to re-coil just to find out what the ohms should be.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the time I'm too fucking lazy to re wick my Kayfun when it needs it, let alone re wick it just as an experiment, so that chart is top draw - I only wish I wasn't so lazy or I'd be wicking and coiling tonight just to fill it in.

What I'll do is create a separate table tomorrow using the forumula if I can find the time and see if the sums are anywhere close

Now that is a handy chart to have. Big up to @stealthvape and @todd for the info.

So for a double or even a treble wick, multiply the figures by 2 or 3.

Now I usually re wick my Kayfun with 2 x 3mm silica using .2 Kanthal (4 turns) and it normally comes out around 1.8 and vapes perfect for me - according to the chart though it should come out at around 3.2 / 3.3 ????????

Now that is a handy chart to have. Big up to @stealthvape and @todd for the info.

So for a double or even a treble wick, multiply the figures by 2 or 3.

Now I usually re wick my Kayfun with 2 x 3mm silica using .2 Kanthal (4 turns) and it normally comes out around 1.8 and vapes perfect for me - according to the chart though it should come out at around 3.2 / 3.3 ????????

It's not as simple as doubling. It's about the wick circumference and area, for example there are 4 x 2.5mm strands worth of wick in 1 x 5mm

Wick SizeArea mm²Volume mm³ for 20mm of wick
1mm0.7815.71
1.5mm1.7635.35
2mm3.1462.85
2.5mm4.998.21
3mm7.06141.42
3.5mm9.62192.49
4mm12.56251.42
5mm19.63392.85

It's not as simple as doubling. It's about the wick circumference and area, for example there are 4 x 2.5mm strands worth of wick in 1 x 5mm

Wick SizeArea mm²Volume mm³ for 20mm of wick
1mm0.7815.71
1.5mm1.7635.35
2mm3.1462.85
2.5mm4.998.21
3mm7.06141.42
3.5mm9.62192.49
4mm12.56251.42
5mm19.63392.85

But if you look at Todd's table for instance the 2.5mm and the 5mm it's pretty much exactly double. So are you saying that it's double if the silica is twice as thick but not if there are two strands of it ???

P.S. Thanks for the discussion on this - I'm not trying to be a PITA just trying to understand.

Wahhhh head test lol

So 5mm wick has approx double the circumference of 2.5mm wick, but 4x the area.

15.7mm circumference for 5mm wick so approx 15.7mm of wire

2 strands of 2.5mm wick would have an outer wind length of 12.85mm.

This stuff is baffling, and the numbers might need to be tweaked up by 10-15% at a glance

Well, not 10% but approx 4mm extra wire length to any given coil. What do you reckon todd?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom