What's new

Dopvo Topside 90w mod draining batteries rapidly.

tomhirvin

Postman
I have owned this mod for about six months and it is used every day. In the last few days it has suddenly started draining brand new batteries within a few hours (40w at around 0.7ohms). Before they would last over a day.

The other thing is has started doing is completely draining batteries over night when the mod is off and not in use. When I charge them they are down to less than 1.5v.

Has anyone had any experience of this with this mod or any other?

It's not the batteries as I have tried a number of different ones that I know are good and it's doing them to all of them.

Is it time to get a new one?

Thanks

Tom

I have owned this mod for about six months and it is used every day. In the last few days it has suddenly started draining brand new batteries within a few hours (40w at around 0.7ohms). Before they would last over a day.

The other thing is has started doing is completely draining batteries over night when the mod is off and not in use. When I charge them they are down to less than 1.5v.

It's not the batteries as I have tried a number of different ones that I know are good and it's doing them to all of them.

Thanks

Tom

The mod shouldn't drain batteries when idle & if the cells are being discharged to 1.5v it's dangerous to try recharging, if at all possible. The cells aren't designed to be discharged so low hence why most mods will cut off around 3.2v. My advise is do not use that mod at all. If still in warranty get onto the company that sold it. If not, Dovpo can be contacted through @dovpo_hannah or @dovpo_blem on here.
Also, very few mods actually turn off. They can be switched to a standby state but are not "off" in the true sense.

Thanks

Tom
You could try updating the mods software. Though, I'd contact the vendor and Dovpo before doing so.
I doubt it will help. But I know it fixes battery drain on some mods.

You could try updating the mods software. Though, I'd contact the vendor and Dovpo before doing so.
I doubt it will help. But I know it fixes battery drain on some mods.
The only update I know for the Topside gave TC. No mod working properly should be draining batteries so low, it fucks the internal chemical composition & very few chargers are actually capable of recovering a dead cell.

Thanks

Tom
I know this will sound daft, but..... I had this happen with mine, about 6-8 months ago. The battery was draining even when I wasn't using it etc. I couldn't understand what was going on. I took it apart to see if the transfer tube for the squonk was leaking, or any other problems for that matter. It finally dawned on me what the problem was. Goes like this. I have all my mods and tanks on top of a kitchen unit on wheels by the back door (our back door is in the kitchen) Amongst the general carnage of that area I have a smallish baking tray that my charger and mods sit on (bit of fire prevention there [emoji16]) One night, I couldn't be arsed to switch the light on to grab a mod and go out for a vape so I wandered over in the dark, only to see the screen on, on my topside??? What was happening was, I was putting the mod down facing the side of the charger, and the + & - buttons were pressing against the charger, obviously for hours at a time. Needless to say, I now sit my mod the other way round so the buttons don't press against anything. They are quite low down on the mod and don't take much pressing [emoji852]️ I'm a numpty, I know and I only found out by luck. I know that this is probably not the answer to your problem, but... [emoji16]

Thank you for all your advice. I decided to strip it down as much as I could and found a hideous mess of liquid in every nook and cranny. It was wrapped so there was also a sheen of juice under that as well. Cleaned it all up with acetone and put it back together and it looks like it might have done the job. I think really a daily mod should probably be cleaned in this way at least every couple of weeks - not 6 months! That juice just gets everywhere.

Those batteries (which were brand new) which were discharged down to 1.6v - are they salvagable or should I discard them?

Get fresh batteries. Being taken to less than 2v will cause deterioration at best. For the price of batteries it's a no brainer for peace of mind.

Thank you for all your advice. I decided to strip it down as much as I could and found a hideous mess of liquid in every nook and cranny. It was wrapped so there was also a sheen of juice under that as well. Cleaned it all up with acetone and put it back together and it looks like it might have done the job. I think really a daily mod should probably be cleaned in this way at least every couple of weeks - not 6 months! That juice just gets everywhere.

Those batteries (which were brand new) which were discharged down to 1.6v - are they salvagable or should I discard them?
Did you identify where the juice came from?

There seems to be a small gap just below the 510 that leads into the battery compartment and further up into the circuits. It is very small but still a place for juice to get into. I am sure if I was to clean it out regularly it would not have been a problem but I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom