What's new

High voltage builds

Andy S

Postman
Hi apes.
I got a series mech as a gift so I've spent some time experimenting with building for the volts and I keep coming back to the same issue:

To keep the resistance up I'm having to build looooong coils because I don't want to use thin wire. Heavy gauge kanthal round wires work fine but I get better flavour with "Flapton" wire. Trouble is they're taking so long to cool down the wicks are burning through.
Example: 24/32 Flapton, 8 wraps 3.5mm diameter, about 0.4 Ohm for the pair. I'm using a Phenotype-L RDA, so no shortage of air, and yet I'm burning through wicks in less than a day. I've tried wicking looser, tighter, I've tried varying the thickness of the juice. On an unwicked dry firing they take 6 or 7 seconds to stop glowing and I feel sure there must be a way to get that time down or people wouldn't use series. Spacing the wraps helps a bit but I'm limited for space on the RDA as it's a 22mm and my coils are pretty much maximum length that they can be to fit between the posts. (Incidentally I have to use a 22mm because the hybrid connection is recessed into the body of the mod and if I put anything wider on it the pin won't reach the battery)

Other than going to a single coil setup, is there anything else I can do?

try a single larger coil and see how it goes , any way you could mount vertical ? I would try a vertical 4mm or 4.5 with wicking only down.

What's the problem with using thinner wire?

Was thinking the same with it only been a 22 thinner wire seems to be the only option to me [emoji4]
Personally, I think once you start going down this route in kit where resistance is super important, there's really no other option but to start building your own coils. Or, if you really don't want to build your own then purchase custom coils made to your own specifications and requirements.

Our very own master coil builder @Smut is still on hand, I do believe, should his services be required.

Might be worth checking out some older threads from when series mechs were cool for a short time.

Here is one that might be worth a look. https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...cigs/threads/noisy-cricket-build-issue.96849/

I will bet most contributors to that thread have moved on to other things and few have made that style of vaping an everyday thing.

My feeling is that series mechs are a minority interest for crazy bastards.

Personally, I think once you start going down this route in kit where resistance is super important, there's really no other option but to start building your own coils.
No, really?

Back
Top Bottom