Innokin
What's new

SS316L Resistance Flux and Coil Building

nathanstokes

Postman
Hey guys.

So, I make my own coils and have been thinking of trying out stainless steel. I've never bothered before, as I don't get any weird tastes from Ni80, and I haven't found thus far any info on the way that resistance changes other than it increases as the metal heats. I'm just kind of curious, though, to see if I prefer the flavour from them.

With RDAs I tend to make 3x28/36 dual aliens, 3mm inner diameter, 5 wraps, ohming out at 0.16 (exception being 0.14 fralians in my Kennedy 25), and then for MTL a 28/46 clapton, with 2.5mm ID, 6 1/2 wraps ohming out at 0.91.

Before someone says, it's fine, just use TC or simple power mode, I vape mostly with single battery tube mods, so looking to figure out what specs I should use that would ohm out roughly at those points once they're heated.

Any advice, knowledge or links would be massively appreciated.

Innokin
The tcr of ss316l is approximately 10% /100 C. (resistance will increase by 10% for every 100 degree C rise in temperature).

Ni80.png ss316l.png

Resistance changes will be irrelevant on mechs so not worth considering. SS316l has a lower resistance per metre so you need less wraps or higher AWG to reach your desired ohm. SS is fast ramp up as is Ni80 making both ideal for mechs.
Simple 5 wrap in both materials in the screenshots.

AcmeFog
I vape mostly with single battery tube mods,

I used to make all kinds of exotic coils till I realised less is more. These days I just use 24awg brochrome on my mechs and never looked back. My tools mostly gather dust in the cupboard these days. I think back to all the time wasted and just smile to myself, albeit it was quite fun at the time.

I used to make all kinds of exotic coils till I realised less is more. These days I just use 24awg brochrome on my mechs and never looked back. My tools mostly gather dust in the cupboard these days. I think back to all the time wasted and just smile to myself, albeit it was quite fun at the time.
I made the mistake of buying 25awg brochrome and never got around to buying a lower gauge, I just buy 0.2 ohm 3mm Ni80 fused claptons from some fine coil purveyors, and they cover my single/dual needs - enjoyed footering with single core claptons waaay back, but I don't have the eyesight/dexterity for anything fancier.

Elux
Yup, my post was in no way intended to dissuade the OP from his venture, just saying sometimes the effort doesn't translate into a life-changing vape :D

I made the mistake of buying 25awg brochrome and never got around to buying a lower gauge, I just buy 0.2 ohm 3mm Ni80 fused claptons from some fine coil purveyors, and they cover my single/dual needs - enjoyed footering with single core claptons waaay back, but I don't have the eyesight/dexterity for anything fancier.
Why a mistake? I use 25ga brochrome all the time, amongst other gauges, and love it. Don't you like it?

Vape Green
Why a mistake? I use 25ga brochrome all the time, amongst other gauges, and love it. Don't you like it?
It was great for higher resistance on a regulated, absolutely didn't suit me for what I was looking for on a mech - got caught up trying to suit both, because I'm a tight arsed bugger and it was £8 a reel at the time, and should have just bloomin forked out for the 22 or 23awg too. Great wire, poor decision on my part

Wow guys. Thanks for all the responses. Now to reply to each, one by one (note to self, when asking forums for help, check back regularly!)

Royal Flush Vape
The tcr of ss316l is approximately 10% /100 C. (resistance will increase by 10% for every 100 degree C rise in temperature).

So if I'm thinking through this correctly, it's really difficult to know how resistance will change in any given set up (given our usage of the material) as the resistance flux will be dependent on contributing factors, namely airflow, draw, etc. and how this effects the temperature of the coil.

So if I popped the DL coils I mentioned above in an atomiser that was quite restricted, there would be less airflow to them, they would receive less cooling from the draw during vaping, and thus they would have greater resistance change than if I put the same coils in a really wide open atty with tonnes of airflow.

Am I understanding that correctly?

Back
Top Bottom