What's new

Understanding the Mech thing.

to give an idea of a mech noob i just got my first mech 2 days ago. upgrade from a basic ego and a kamry x6 ( justa 3 voltage basic unit nothing fancy ).
was kindly sent a free mech from anotehr vaper on another site. a puresmoker legacy.
its heavy, takes an 18650 ( or slightly smaller battery with a kick ) comes in brushed stainless steel and has a lockable bottom firing button.
took me a few minutes to adjust and add some washers in the bottom cap so the battery would fire ( came supplied with bag with extra washers, spring etc ).

so my first mech.. all good.. but to get the best outa this thing i need a rebuildable atty and heres where the RSST comes in. very simple. some mesh, kanthal wire, a lighter some tweezers, some scissors and some luck. so following you tube instructions cut a rectangle of the mesh around 30mm x 35mm. folded over one end then i hand rolled mine until it would fit in the rsst snugly.
then using a lighter ( micro butane blow torch, or you gas cooker hob will do ) and holding the mesh with tweezers i flamed it until it glowed orange for a minute or so. then added a few drops of juice and lit it to burn it off creating a coating on the mesh ( oxidizing it basically ). popped the mesh in the RSST then cut a length of grade .32 kanthal and stuck one end under the screw on the rsst and wound 4 coils around the mesh and then attached other end of wire to centre post.
used the tweezers to adjust the spacing until it looked half decent then attched to the mech and used the quick fire pulsing method to check for hotspost ont he coils ( oh before all this i used my ohm meter to check coil res and it was a stable 2.1 ohms ).
after about a minut of pulse firing on and off i had 4 nicely even glowing coils.
dripped some juice on and fired it up for a longer burn. lovely plumes of vapour

so then filled up the tank with a couple of mls of juice stuck on drip tip and fired away.
the result a working rsst on first go and tons of vapour and flavour 10x better than what i had had previously.
but more important was the satisfaction knowing id done it all myself with the whole coils and mesh thing and hadnt made any major cock ups.

the downside

well the kids have had the current round of cough/sore throats and ive finally succumbed and sound like an 80 a day smoker so im holding off on vaping anything otehr than some nice mild coffee juice and some RB ( anyone out there fancy making some cough mixture juice ( soothing honey and lemon or cough candy drops !)
so the benefits .. better taste, more vape, immense satisfaction in making your own coils.. cheap as chips to maintain and run..failry indestructable battery mod.

the cons... kills your throat when you have the manflu! as it can create some big hitting vapes!

Thanks elvedhel for taking the time to reply. I have in fact made my own coils, mesh ones for the Aga-S and dual ones in the scar which I have. I do get a good taste and vape from the scar, I suppose buying a half decent one would be the way to go for me so as I could try and compare for myself. As far as I can see the TH will vary with each individual much like taste. I was smoking park drive and No6 when I was younger, but if I nicked one of my Dad`s Henson and Bedges and smoked it I would cough my ring up, and then there was Capstan full strength something entirely different again. So when I see some of these videos and how much vape they are producing I am sceptical as to whether or not people are actually getting a really nice flavour from it, or are they hiding the fact they are not by the fact they are getting large plumes of vape? Certainly not calling anyone a liar here but as I say I really need to try it first hand so I can compare.Cheers once again.
Rich

I use mechs exclusively I no longer own a vw device, I love them for their compact size and sometimes beauty, also plonking something like a protank on one just seems wrong and looks a bit shit anyway imo :) much better with a nice dripping Atty or genny on top. As for kicks phaaa defeats the whole object of a mech and I prefer to vape straight of the battery and let the mech do its work. Also when considering battery's some will advise protected but the downside it they have a amp limit thus also defeating the object of owning a mech, imr's (safe chemistry) is what most people use and are safe or as safe as protected and will allow you to go sub ohm if decide to do so. :)

Stunning :D
Excuse my freakish hand :(

1CuS8U.jpg

Last edited:
I use mechs exclusively I no longer own a vw device, I love them for their compact size and sometimes beauty, also plonking something like a protank on one just seems wrong and looks a bit shit anyway imo :) much better with a nice dripping Atty or genny on top. As for kicks phaaa defeats the whole object of a mech and I prefer to vape straight of the battery and let the mech do its work. Also when considering battery's some will advise protected but the downside it they have a amp limit thus also defeating the object of owning a mech, imr's (safe chemistry) is what most people use and are safe or as safe as protected and will allow you to go sub ohm if decide to do so. :)

Stunning :D
Excuse my freakish hand :(

1CuS8U.jpg

Thanks whit77 for your reply, as mentioned in my opening thread it was not so much to do with the asthetics of things but the production of the vape. Sticking a protank on a mech might well look wrong and shit to you but I am one for understanding that not all people have the funds to do things the way others do to start with so a compromise is ok in my books. In saying that I have ordered a 91% so I suppose sticking that on an SVD will look shit also :D But yeh like I say I was just trying to get to the bottom of what is involved as such if I was to get a Mech.
Cheers
Rich

Yep hence my advice on battery's and a dripper can be got for as little as a fiver, so it doesn't have to break the bank ;)

To be fair, I use a ProTank 2 on my mech as well as one of my H5 atomisers and while they do not look as good as the Magoo that usually sits on there the vape quality is fantastic. Mech's are just simplicity itself and that is what I like, I do have VV and VW devices as well as eGo's but prefer the feel of the mech.

So when I see some of these videos and how much vape they are producing I am sceptical as to whether or not people are actually getting a really nice flavour from it, or are they hiding the fact they are not by the fact they are getting large plumes of vape? Certainly not calling anyone a liar here but as I say I really need to try it first hand so I can compare.Cheers once again.
Rich[/COLOR]

You can alter the amount of vapour you produce by varying the PG/VG ratio of your juice:

Vegetable Glycerin (VG) e-liquid is a thick, a little sweet liquid. VG e-liquid produces luscious clouds of vapor. VG e-liquid also imparts a sweeter taste to your liquid.

Propylene Glycol (PG) e-liquid is a much thinner liquid. PG e-liquid produces more of a “throat hit” than VG e-liquid does, which simulates the feel of smoking better. PG e-liquid also has a higher rate of sensitivity for some people, meaning that some people just can’t use PG in their vape.

So if you want clouds of vapour, you need more VG than PG!

You can alter the amount of vapour you produce by varying the PG/VG ratio of your juice:

Vegetable Glycerin (VG) e-liquid is a thick, a little sweet liquid. VG e-liquid produces luscious clouds of vapor. VG e-liquid also imparts a sweeter taste to your liquid.

Propylene Glycol (PG) e-liquid is a much thinner liquid. PG e-liquid produces more of a “throat hit” than VG e-liquid does, which simulates the feel of smoking better. PG e-liquid also has a higher rate of sensitivity for some people, meaning that some people just can’t use PG in their vape.

So if you want clouds of vapour, you need more VG than PG!

Thanks Blossom, whilst again this is something I am aware of I never thought of bringing it into the equation of using a Mech. So in essence then it seems you do have to be a little bit more critical of things compared to a VV/VW, and pehaps even having to be more experimental when it comes to either chosing a liquid that works well for you or making your own shrug_zps6d3a6c96.gif

Thanks Blossom, whilst again this is something I am aware of I never thought of bringing it into the equation of using a Mech. So in essence then it seems you do have to be a little bit more critical of things compared to a VV/VW, and pehaps even having to be more experimental when it comes to either chosing a liquid that works well for you or making your own View attachment 13214

I was just referring to watching the videos with people vaping like steam trains, I think they use higher VG to get the look.

Tbh mechs are for the more experienced vaper

Don't shoot me :(

A fair enough comment, would you care to explain in your eyes what criteria one needs to meet before becoming an experienced vapour? And me understanding why I need a mech does not count as one. :P

I was just referring to watching the videos with people vaping like steam trains, I think they use higher VG to get the look.

No probs Blossom ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom