What's new

Thoughts. Can an RTA wear out?

DaveVapes

Postman
I’ve been vaping on an original Zeus single coil RTA for almost 2 years. Running maybe 20ml of juice through it daily. Recently I’ve experienced the coils burning out quickly, that burnt horrible taste after less than 1 day. Before it would last the best part of a week without needing a rewick. I haven’t changed my juice, coil setup or cotton. I can’t see what I’m doing differently, maybe the tank is on it’s last legs. Is this a thing?

Change in juice recipe? I can imagine a tank wearing out screws-wise, or bits coming loose or something... but I don't think it would affect the longevity of the wick.

I don't see why they would and have never heard of it before. Have you considered checking all o-rings and seals? They could very well have degraded over two years, causing a partial loss of vacuum in the tank, affecting wicking but not quite causing a noticeable leak.

That's my shot in the dark.

I’ve changed the o-rings with no noticeable improvement and I DIY my juice so the recipe stays pretty much the same.
I was thinking maybe it was down to the colder weather changing the viscosity of the juice, but I’m clutching at straws really, it’s not that cold yet.

Have you tried a complete strip down and several cycles through an ultrasonic cleaner? This worked for me a while back when I was on the verge of binning my digiflavor siren tanks.

I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner but I’ll try hot, soapy water and a toothbrush later. I rinse it out fairly often but maybe I’m missing some gunk somewhere.

It would amaze you just how much gung accumulates in the airhole / 510 pin area over time. The base needs to be stripped as much as possible.
I can absolutely recommend an ultrasonic cleaner which can be picked up for around £25.

Yes of course it can, things will wear down over time, you've got moving parts and various things being heated. threads,o rings, nicks and dents,glass. It's really how long you want to keep replacing parts / maintaining it or move onto something new. I had my aromamizer supreme for years, last time i smashed the glass I could have went and bought a new one and carried on but I thought actually I fancy moving on, i got more than fair use out of it.

Maybe its time to bite the bullet and buy a new tank. That would be a shame because I really like the Zeus. Any recommendations?
I’ve tried the Horus but that was too airy and the Galaxies RDTA but that was too restricted, granted it’s MTL.
I have been eyeing up the Aromamizer Lite but I haven’t had chance to try one.

Maybe its time to bite the bullet and buy a new tank. That would be a shame because I really like the Zeus. Any recommendations?
I’ve tried the Horus but that was too airy and the Galaxies RDTA but that was too restricted, granted it’s MTL.
I have been eyeing up the Aromamizer Lite but I haven’t had chance to try one.

Well obviously the zeus and horus are both top airflow tanks, the lite isn't. I'm vaping on the lite right now. Very good flavour single coil, I'd say semi restricted DTL. definitely not wide open but very far from mtl.

Back
Top Bottom