What's new

Batteries 30A, 20A??

andyp300

Postman
Hello,

could anyone enlighten me about battery discharge. I have looked it up online, but I am failing to grasp the concept.

Which batteries are best for vaping 30 A, 25 A or 20 A?

Is there a rule of thumb, the higher the amps the better the battery???

Thanks in advance

The general rule of thumb would be the higher the Amp limit the lower the capacity so these two should be considered together. you could check out some of the info from (battery) Mooch who has lots of tests and videos on batteries.

If you vape at high watts you need high amps and if you vape at low watts you can use a lower amp battery.

It will depend on the style of vaping which will suit your needs best. It’s the Conitinuous discharge rate you want to be looking, not the pulse rating. As above, lower Amps tend to give more Mah, so more time vaping, but only if you’re vaping within the safety limits of the Amps.

Go binge watch Battery Mooch’s Youtube channel and all your questions shall be answered.

Hello,

could anyone enlighten me about battery discharge. I have looked it up online, but I am failing to grasp the concept.

Which batteries are best for vaping 30 A, 25 A or 20 A?

Is there a rule of thumb, the higher the amps the better the battery???

Thanks in advance

If you are using a regulated device, then you need to consider what wattage you vape at, and the number of batteries in your device, to understand what batteries are suitable.

There is a formula to calculate this, and a few factors to consider in the calculation.

With a regulated device, more strain is put on the batteries as their charge gets lower. A fully charged battery holds 4.2 volts, and most devices tell you to recharge by the time the battery drops to 3.2 volts. If you don't know the voltage where your device cuts off, then you can use 3 volts.

No device is 100% efficient. There are current losses as the electricity goes out of the battery, through the circuit board and into your atomiser. Some devices are 95% efficient, some 90%, most are at least 85% efficient so we can use that figure, in the form 0.85.

On to the formula then.

Watts/Battery Cutoff voltage/Number of batteries/Device efficiency = max amps drawn per battery.

So, if you are vaping at 60 watts on a single battery device:

60/3/1/0.85 = 23.52 amps.

You need a battery with a constant discharge rating of at least 25 amps.

If you are vaping at 100 watts on a dual battery device:

100/3/2/0.85 = 19.6 amps.

You need batteries with a constant discharge rating of at least 20 amps.

If you know the battery cutoff voltage and efficiency rating of your device, use those figures instead for a more accurate calculation - the above are conservative figures, used to give a good safety margin.

Last edited:
If you are using a regulated device, then you need to consider what wattage you vape at, and the number of batteries in your device, to understand what batteries are suitable.

There is a formula to calculate this, and a few factors to consider in the calculation.

With a regulated device, more strain is put on the batteries as their charge gets lower. A fully charged battery holds 4.2 volts, and most devices tell you to recharge by the time the battery drops to 3.2 volts. If you don't know the voltage where your device cuts off, then you can use 3 volts.

No device is 100% efficient. There are current losses as the electricity goes out of the battery, through the circuit board and into your atomiser. Some devices are 95% efficient, some 90%, most are at least 85% efficient so we can use that figure, in the form 0.85.

On to the formula then.

Watts/Battery Cutoff voltage/Number of batteries/Device efficiency = max amps drawn per battery.

So, if you are vaping at 60 watts on a single battery device:

60/3/1/0.85 = 23.52 amps.

You need a battery with a constant discharge rating of at least 25 amps.

If you are vaping at 100 watts on a dual battery device:

100/3/2/0.85 = 19.6 amps.

You need batteries with a constant discharge rating of at least 20 amps.

If you know the battery cutoff voltage and efficiency rating of your device, use those figures instead for a more accurate calculation - the above are conservative figures, used to give a good safety margin.
What he said.

In a regulated it's all down to the wattage. Plain and simple.

Tl:Dr Samsung 25r/Sony VTC5a and 6a are my cells of choice. These Molicell P26 (?) are getting a lot of love too but I've not tried them so can't comment.

Back
Top Bottom