What's new

Coil building

ben32

Initiate
Apologies if this is in the wrong place,

I have a roll of ni80 20awg and some 24awg A1 kanthal is there any thing I could build with a combination of these 2 wires or is there not much point I bought the 20 gauge a long while ago but I have never used it I never realised just how thick it was before I ordered. And thought it would be nice to get some use out of it if there is a use [emoji16]

Single coil? Dual coil? Is it for a tank? Or dripper? And what power do you have available to heat that thick stuff?

Just playing with some numbers... if you make a simple claptonesque thingy with the thinner one wound around the thicker one, you'd get about 1.2Ω per foot, i.e. 6 wraps on a 3mm bit gets you about 0.3Ω, should be good for around 7V... call it 160W.

Single coil? Dual coil? Is it for a tank? Or dripper? And what power do you have available to heat that thick stuff?
Sorry I'm new to this and keep forgetting to add info [emoji16] I'll be on my twisted masses dripper and I have an eleaf invoke 220w

Just playing with some numbers... if you make a simple claptonesque thingy with the thinner one wound around the thicker one, you'd get about 1.2Ω per foot, i.e. 6 wraps on a 3mm bit gets you about 0.3Ω, should be good for around 7V... call it 160W.
I did consider a Clapton as it's one of the few coils I can remember how to build just thought it might be a struggle wrapping that 24awg kanthal [emoji16]

If I were you, with what you have available, I'd just run simple 24g dual at 3mm, aiming for something like 0.25ohm, until I could get my hands on better wire to clapton up, if that is indeed the route you want to go.

Still possible to get very good flavour from simple round wire, you have to nail the coil position in relation to airflow. I used to run 22g ni80 builds in my goon 1.5, with very good results.

If I were you, with what you have available, I'd just run simple 24g dual at 3mm, aiming for something like 0.25ohm, until I could get my hands on better wire to clapton up, if that is indeed the route you want to go.

Still possible to get very good flavour from simple round wire, you have to nail the coil position in relation to airflow. I used to run 22g ni80 builds in my goon 1.5, with very good results.
Your right I spent a few hours last night built a Clapton and it was so big even with a 1mm diameter it still wouldn't fit In my RDA with out hang over the sides.

Every coil I tried to build combining these two wires was just to chunky.

In the end I got fed up and just wound simple a 3 mill diameter 20 awg ni80 5 wraps sits around 0.2 it's a beauty at 75 watts.

I think some times in my need to tinker I just over think things and get a bit to excited and adventures [emoji16][emoji16]

Your right I spent a few hours last night built a Clapton and it was so big even with a 1mm diameter it still wouldn't fit In my RDA with out hang over the sides.

Every coil I tried to build combining these two wires was just to chunky.

In the end I got fed up and just wound simple a 3 mill diameter 20 awg ni80 5 wraps sits around 0.2 it's a beauty at 75 watts.

I think some times in my need to tinker I just over think things and get a bit to excited and adventures [emoji16][emoji16]

Same here, I'm terrible for over thinking things. Wasn't aware you had an option to run single coil, glad it's working out. You can still go the clapton route if you get the correct gauge wires.

I did consider a Clapton as it's one of the few coils I can remember how to build just thought it might be a struggle wrapping that 24awg kanthal [emoji16]
I haven't actually done the build I just described, but I find kanthal very easy to work with and can twist 24g or even heavier to any pitch I want.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following with kanthal wire: When I use heavy gauge on a large internal diameter, after some use the cross section of the coil changes from a circle to a hexagon. I don't get this effect with other metals.

Weird, huh?

I haven't actually done the build I just described, but I find kanthal very easy to work with and can twist 24g or even heavier to any pitch I want.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the following with kanthal wire: When I use heavy gauge on a large internal diameter, after some use the cross section of the coil changes from a circle to a hexagon. I don't get this effect with other metals.

Weird, huh?
Apologies for a late reply just got back from a family holiday. I tried the build you suggested and it was huge [emoji23] it just hung over the edges of the dripper way to but ended up with a simple 7 wrap 22 awg ni80 been a lovely vape at 80/100w

Back
Top Bottom