What's new

Beta damascenone

That would be carotene you are thinking of.

The damascenones are derived from the degradation of carotenoids.[2]

Carotenoids (/kəˈrɒtɪnɔɪd/), also called tetraterpenoids, are yellow, orange, and red organicpigments that are produced by plants and algae, as well as several bacteria and fungi.[1]Carotenoids give the characteristic color to pumpkins, carrots, corn, tomatoes, canaries, flamingos, and daffodils.[1] Carotenoids can be produced from fats and other basic organic metabolic building blocks by all these organisms. The only animals known to produce carotenoids are aphids and spider mites, which acquired the ability and genes from fungi[2][3][4] or it is produced by endosymbiotic bacteria in whiteflies.[5] Carotenoids from the diet are stored in the fatty tissues of animals,[1] and exclusively carnivorous animals obtain the compounds from animal fat. In the human diet, absorption of carotenoids is improved when consumed with fat in a meal.[6] Cooking carotenoid-containing vegetables in oil increases carotenoid bioavailability.[1][6]

Is citronellal not what’s in mosquito spray?
Citronella oil is what they put in insect repellent candles and those spiral burning things, and sprays etc. I guess Citronellal (with the extra 'L' at the end) is the active ingredient.

The damascenones are derived from the degradation of carotenoids.[2]

Carotenoids (/kəˈrɒtɪnɔɪd/), also called tetraterpenoids, are yellow, orange, and red organicpigments that are produced by plants and algae, as well as several bacteria and fungi.[1]Carotenoids give the characteristic color to pumpkins, carrots, corn, tomatoes, canaries, flamingos, and daffodils.[1] Carotenoids can be produced from fats and other basic organic metabolic building blocks by all these organisms. The only animals known to produce carotenoids are aphids and spider mites, which acquired the ability and genes from fungi[2][3][4] or it is produced by endosymbiotic bacteria in whiteflies.[5] Carotenoids from the diet are stored in the fatty tissues of animals,[1] and exclusively carnivorous animals obtain the compounds from animal fat. In the human diet, absorption of carotenoids is improved when consumed with fat in a meal.[6] Cooking carotenoid-containing vegetables in oil increases carotenoid bioavailability.[1][6]

Exactly, so no, it’s a different thing.

http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/damascenone/damascenoneh.htm

Last edited:
I was thinking about mixing some of this classic us bacco concentrate I got from inawera. I had a look on the page for it on their site, and noticed the warning below. Anybody know anything about this?

Unrelated to skin damage, but the wikipedia page says this: “n 2008, (E)-β-damascenone was identified as a primary odorant in Kentucky bourbon.[3]

WARNING.
Contains beta damascenone, alpha damascenone.
May cause an allergic skin reaction.
Keep out of reach of children.
Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection.
Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
Dispose of contents/container to places designed for the storage of the dangerous substance or pass to services who deal with waste utilization.
IF ON SKIN: Gently wash with plenty of soap and wate.r
If skin irritation or a rash occurs: Get medical advice/attention.
@zouzounaki

Not to resurrect a thread, but...

What was the Inawera you found this compound in?

I've been hunting down the original RY4 recipe, and some old forum threads talk about 'Winter Melon' - used in drinks in China. Further research showed that most of the crop used to be exported to Syria for Ice cream and Turkish delight - as a replacement for Damask Rose.

So some if the weirder RY4s (TPA RY4 - not double, also TPA Turkish - which might be from 'delight' rather than the tobacco everybody assumes) have various compounds, usually keytones, with 'damasc' in the name. I've been trying to find them individually - so would be interested in the Inawera

@zouzounaki

Not to resurrect a thread, but...

What was the Inawera you found this compound in?

I've been hunting down the original RY4 recipe, and some old forum threads talk about 'Winter Melon' - used in drinks in China. Further research showed that most of the crop used to be exported to Syria for Ice cream and Turkish delight - as a replacement for Damask Rose.

So some if the weirder RY4s (TPA RY4 - not double, also TPA Turkish - which might be from 'delight' rather than the tobacco everybody assumes) have various compounds, usually keytones, with 'damasc' in the name. I've been trying to find them individually - so would be interested in the Inawera

No worries, it’s this one

https://www.inawera.com/classic-us-bacco-comestible-flavour-10-ml-p-3387.html

It’s actually pretty good, has a slight rose flavour and mild tobacco. I could imagine it working as a component of an ry4.

Back
Top Bottom