Vape Superstore
What's new

Fused Claptons advise needed please

jude27

Postman
Dipping my toe into super low builds for the first time with some Ni80 fused clapton wire 26awg x2 with 36 awg outer, 6 wraps ,2.5 id coming out at .16(much lower than I'd hoped) for firing at 47 watts , I usually vape at .4 - .5 ohms but i got some coils with an atty and thought I'd give them a go they came out at .27 ohms which was a vast improvement flavourwise. I obvoiusly got my calcs a little wrong with this new wire, but the ramp up time is great. Similar wire but in kanthal brings the ohms out roughly to what I was looking for about the .25 ish mark .
Would I be better going for Ni80 28 awg x2 with 38 awg outer wrap ,or going for the kanthal equivilant 26 awg x 2 36 outer wrapof my original coils for all round performance i.e Flavour / ramp up time / battery life ? My amps are all sub 20 which is the capacity of my batteries btw

Elux
On a regulated?

Don't stress. If it fires go for it. Obviously watch out for any nasty warning signs as safety nets on cheap Chinese mods can, and do, fail, but really just go for it.

jude27, for simple low ohm builds flat wire 22 to 25 gauge seems interesting.

AcmeFog
If you haven't noticed a difference in flavour over Kanthal, it would be simplest to go back to that.

If you prefer N80, then thinner wire or longer coils would be your options, remembering that you'd still need 40+ watts with your current wire even if you increased the resistance.

If you haven't noticed a difference in flavour over Kanthal, it would be simplest to go back to that.

If you prefer N80, then thinner wire or longer coils would be your options, remembering that you'd still need 40+ watts with your current wire even if you increased the resistance.
I've gone for Ni80 for the ramp up my thinking is faster ramp up longer battery life( feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), longer coils are not really an option in the atties I'm using I might get 1 extra wrap in but thats about it. The taste difference between the 2 in my experience is very slight possible Ni80 nicks it on fresh coils.

Thanks though @Ment

Royal Flush Vape
Morten Oen has a YouTube channel, he's compared Clapton vs Flat Wire. Seems as though surface area and as least mass as possible are the most important things.

Vape Green
Ni80 all the way. Kanthal will ramp up and cool much slower. With the faster ramp up of Ni80 you also end up needing to use less power.

Vape Superstore
Dipping my toe into super low builds for the first time with some Ni80 fused clapton wire 26awg x2 with 36 awg outer, 6 wraps ,2.5 id coming out at .16(much lower than I'd hoped) for firing at 47 watts , I usually vape at .4 - .5 ohms but i got some coils with an atty and thought I'd give them a go they came out at .27 ohms which was a vast improvement flavourwise. I obvoiusly got my calcs a little wrong with this new wire, but the ramp up time is great. Similar wire but in kanthal brings the ohms out roughly to what I was looking for about the .25 ish mark .
Would I be better going for Ni80 28 awg x2 with 38 awg outer wrap ,or going for the kanthal equivilant 26 awg x 2 36 outer wrapof my original coils for all round performance i.e Flavour / ramp up time / battery life ? My amps are all sub 20 which is the capacity of my batteries btw
Really doesn't matter. You are using a regulated mod (45w) MOST regulated mods fire between 3ohm *high* to 0.10 ohm *low* and a few as low as 0.05 ohm *remember, this is a regulated mod*

Now I always use Kanthal for my cloud builds on regulated mods, and usually on my Mech mods as well. Remember we are talking clouds. Cloud is relevant to surface area of the coil. The reason nichrome appears to heat faster is with its lower resistance you have to use more wraps. Aprox 8 wraps nichrome = 6 wraps kanthal. Now just for fun, lets use a set resistance of 0.10 ohm for 6 wraps kanthal. Now obviously 6 wraps heats faster than 8 wraps on Nichrome, so we reduce the nichrome to 6 wraps that come in aprox 0.075 ohm. BELOW what most regulated mods will fire, and WELL below the CDR of even a 30 amp battery. So if we stick to a firm 0.10 ohm build, say 6 wraps kanthal vs 5 wraps nichrome.. Obviously 6 wraps has more surface area and therefore more cloud production.
Just from memory, so you would have to confirm. 0.075 kanthal coil pulls about 50 amps. In other words.. study the hell out of your batteries. See MOOCH battery info

Footnote.. this is a cloud thread. Don't use claptons for clouds. You lose to much heat in the ramp up. Considering you are looking at 2.5 second pulls or less.. heat loss counts

By the way, I think you mean SUB ohm builds.. Super sub ohm (below 0.10) are cloud chasing competition builds and for experts only.

Back
Top Bottom