What's new

First diy juice help!!

Hs106

Initiate
Hi guys.
I’m going to attempt my first diy eliquid. I’m in the process of ordering vg nic 100 pg but am stuck on he flavours. How much and what do I need to make a litre?

best not to jump in on a litre for you first mix or even your tenth mix.
always best to make up a 10ml to work out best %
most say 15-20% so do 10ml of each to see which suits your tastebuds.

i only started about 6 months ago and made up around 25 mixes and most were meh.
then i tried one shots which really are the best way to go to get started as the flavour are already mixed for you.
ive already given up and gone back to shortfills :)

As @MrDJ says, don't make 1litre straight away, chances are it will be vile and need pouring away.

Start small with 10/20ml testers if you want to mix up your own individual flavours. Check the recipe section here or somewhere like E-Liquid-Recipes.com for ideas.

It can take along time and alot of practice to nail making liquids like that from scratch.

Flavour One Shots would be a good start if you just want to make your own liquid to save money or need a certain PG/VG ratio. Check somewhere like Chefsflavours.co.uk for some good one shots. One shot means all you need is that one concentrate, PG, VG and nic. Use a recipe calculator to get the right amounts, mix it up, leave a while then enjoy.

Well I went for it. 600ml made a mess but who cares. Struggling with the flavours though mixed at 15% might try 20% next time. They have been mixed up for about 3 days

Well I went for it. 600ml made a mess but who cares. Struggling with the flavours though mixed at 15% might try 20% next time. They have been mixed up for about 3 days
Hi, what flavours did you and the brands? % means little really as some flavours are so strong you only need .5%. Many of my own mixes which are full of flavour are under 10%. My coffee cream donut is just 6.5%. Many need to steep too for the flavours to properly blend and come out right. That coffee one I mentioned takes a full 4 weeks. Some I have take a minimum of 6 weeks. Have a few though that take just 2. Have a couple of 1 shots that need a good month even though I have heard them refered to as shake & vapes.
What type of flavoured vapes were you going for? Taste wise?

As a counterpoint to Tazz's comment, I have been mixing for two and a half years and have made literally hundreds of different recipes/mixes. Off the top of my head, I can only think of two that needed a small amount of steep time. All the rest could quite easily be vaped right off the shake. Yes, recipes will evolve over time (not always in a good way) but very few taste significantly different between 24 hrs and 6 weeks. All of course in my very humble opinion.

Cheers guys. The grape and cinnamon were from vapeable and were flavour west and the apple turnover was from amazon and was flavour factory. I do intend to leave them steep for longer periods but has ran out of vape so was not going to buy any more. I’ve decided to make my own to save money . Will let you know how I go .

Generally mix a BASE with a 2:1 ratio (2 parts VG to 1 part PG)
eg: 500ml VG + 250ml PG = 66.66666/33.333333 ratio BASE juice
a 60/40 to 70/30 base is a rough starting point
if you chuck in lots of flavour & nic generally suspended in PG then maybe 70/30
(as the PG in flav/nic will lower the final ratio more)
if you chuck in more subtle amounts then 60/40
but for ease of maths - nah fuck it 2:1 or 66/33 will do for base ffs

take 10ml, 50ml, 100ml BASE - suggest 10ml for first steps/taster bottles

how much flavour 10~15~20% (wise to start with 10 or 15% max but depends on flavour strengths/concentration)
how much nic 3~6~9~12mg (assuming you have 72 or 7.2% nic)

now really you should use something like steam engine juice calculator to work shit out
but if you have a rough idea of levels & shit you can cut out a fair bit of ratio maths
and run with a general rule of thumb perhaps to simplify it a bit in the mixing stage(s)

really should start with 10ml testers
but for ease of maths I'm going to use a 100ml-ish example

flavour - 10%

take 90ml or 91ml & add 9ml~10ml total flavouring(s)
to make 100ml flavoured base @ 10% flavour aprox
or
take 85ml & add 15ml total flavouring(s)
to make 100ml flavoured base @ 15% flavour aprox

So you got 100ml flavoured base mix or shortfill if you like

based upon using 72mg nic

add 4% or 4ml nic to flav base = 3mg nic
or
add 5% or 5ml nic to flav base = 3.6mg nic
or
add 10% or 10ml nic to flav base = 6.55mg nic
or
add 15% or 15ml nic to flav base = 9.4mg nic
or
add 20% or 20ml nic to flav base = 12mg nic

DISCLAIMER - I'm not suggesting use the above calculator as an initial mixing guide
NOPE

BUT - once you have established a "rough idea" of what you are aiming for
you can simplify stuff very easily
by mixing a base up of 2:1
drawing off say 85~90ml base, add 10~15% flavourings, then say 5~15% nic to suit

You MUST triple check your maths (and mine) using steam engine
but once you have done a few testers you will probably establish a rough recipe/formula for yourself

My post was how to help you simplify it than an actual set in stone rule book
I go with a 2:1 base, take 250ml base add 10% (25ml) flavour
& then just under 10% nic (another 25ml of 72 nic) - this lowers the final ratio(s) slightly
to arrive at a final 59/41 ratio at 6mg nic with an aprox 9% steeped flavour for my ADV

THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE - I use a basic 2-part flavouring
maybe add a tiny tiny shot of something to liven it up now & then but generally rather simple (like me)
the nic level is about right for me, but others will need to adjust to their own level or add more etc....

But again, if you can establish a rough idea of what you want
then you can save a lot of agro or extra hassle by trying to simplify the ratio/mixing as much as possible

this is NOT a guide as such....
mix small testers in 10ml to begin with
use steam engine or other calculators to check you formula/recipes
https://www.steam-engine.org/juice.html#
but once you have gained some experience or wisdom, see if you can simplify it
as it gets a bit mind blowing trying to follow complex ratios/formulas/recipes at times

yes ultimate & final ratios will alter slightly as you adjust the formula a little tweak here n there
but in general, with very minor tweaks the formula ratios shouldn't alter that much

the real issue is trying to formulate a basic flavouring you can enjoy without too much fuss
best of luck

Generally mix a BASE with a 2:1 ratio (2 parts VG to 1 part PG)
eg: 500ml VG + 250ml PG = 66.66666/33.333333 ratio BASE juice
a 60/40 to 70/30 base is a rough starting point
if you chuck in lots of flavour & nic generally suspended in PG then maybe 70/30
(as the PG in flav/nic will lower the final ratio more)
if you chuck in more subtle amounts then 60/40
but for ease of maths - nah fuck it 2:1 or 66/33 will do for base ffs

take 10ml, 50ml, 100ml BASE - suggest 10ml for first steps/taster bottles

how much flavour 10~15~20% (wise to start with 10 or 15% max but depends on flavour strengths/concentration)
how much nic 3~6~9~12mg (assuming you have 72 or 7.2% nic)

now really you should use something like steam engine juice calculator to work shit out
but if you have a rough idea of levels & shit you can cut out a fair bit of ratio maths
and run with a general rule of thumb perhaps to simplify it a bit in the mixing stage(s)

really should start with 10ml testers
but for ease of maths I'm going to use a 100ml-ish example

flavour - 10%

take 90ml or 91ml & add 9ml~10ml total flavouring(s)
to make 100ml flavoured base @ 10% flavour aprox
or
take 85ml & add 15ml total flavouring(s)
to make 100ml flavoured base @ 15% flavour aprox

So you got 100ml flavoured base mix or shortfill if you like

based upon using 72mg nic

add 4% or 4ml nic to flav base = 3mg nic
or
add 5% or 5ml nic to flav base = 3.6mg nic
or
add 10% or 10ml nic to flav base = 6.55mg nic
or
add 15% or 15ml nic to flav base = 9.4mg nic
or
add 20% or 20ml nic to flav base = 12mg nic

DISCLAIMER - I'm not suggesting use the above calculator as an initial mixing guide
NOPE

BUT - once you have established a "rough idea" of what you are aiming for
you can simplify stuff very easily
by mixing a base up of 2:1
drawing off say 85~90ml base, add 10~15% flavourings, then say 5~15% nic to suit

You MUST triple check your maths (and mine) using steam engine
but once you have done a few testers you will probably establish a rough recipe/formula for yourself

My post was how to help you simplify it than an actual set in stone rule book
I go with a 2:1 base, take 250ml base add 10% (25ml) flavour
& then just under 10% nic (another 25ml of 72 nic) - this lowers the final ratio(s) slightly
to arrive at a final 59/41 ratio at 6mg nic with an aprox 9% steeped flavour for my ADV

THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE - I use a basic 2-part flavouring
maybe add a tiny tiny shot of something to liven it up now & then but generally rather simple (like me)
the nic level is about right for me, but others will need to adjust to their own level or add more etc....

But again, if you can establish a rough idea of what you want
then you can save a lot of agro or extra hassle by trying to simplify the ratio/mixing as much as possible

this is NOT a guide as such....
mix small testers in 10ml to begin with
use steam engine or other calculators to check you formula/recipes
https://www.steam-engine.org/juice.html#
but once you have gained some experience or wisdom, see if you can simplify it
as it gets a bit mind blowing trying to follow complex ratios/formulas/recipes at times

yes ultimate & final ratios will alter slightly as you adjust the formula a little tweak here n there
but in general, with very minor tweaks the formula ratios shouldn't alter that much

the real issue is trying to formulate a basic flavouring you can enjoy without too much fuss
best of luck
41fK6xYymQL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom