What's new

RTA users: do you re-wick when you change juice?

Thats because with a rda your pouring your juice all over your coil so the whole coil gets coated in the sweet stuff that burns onto your coil where as a rta is only vaping the juice on the cotton so no juice all over the coil to gunk [emoji6]
Phew, an explanation. I've started squonking recently and I was wondering how I sometimes managed to knacker coils in 24hrs.

Phew, an explanation. I've started squonking recently and I was wondering how I sometimes managed to knacker coils in 24hrs.

Yeah, it's obvious when you think about it, but it had me baffled me too.. I destroy RDA coils very fast, when I hear reviewers talking about using RDA coils for months at a time I have no idea what they're on about. I use Flatwire Flaptons these days which die after 2 cleans max. I've used expensive coils in the past, didn't make any difference, few days and dead as a dodo, regardless of how I clean them.

When you say the coils are dead, what do you mean? Can you not just dry burn them like some people do? I jut bin coils and wrap a new one by they last at least a week even with heavy tobacco liquids.

Yeah, it's obvious when you think about it, but it had me baffled me too.. I destroy RDA coils very fast, when I hear reviewers talking about using RDA coils for months at a time I have no idea what they're on about. I use Flatwire Flaptons these days which die after 2 cleans max. I've used expensive coils in the past, didn't make any difference, few days and dead as a dodo, regardless of how I clean them.
My squonker RBA, a Wismec Guillotine v2, pushes the juice under the coils as opposed to onto the coils directly. So it will be interesting to see how coils last.

I've had the same coils in my rebuildables for months, I just re-wick when the rankness comes calling. I change tanks for flavour changes, not builds :D

When you say the coils are dead, what do you mean? Can you not just dry burn them like some people do? I jut bin coils and wrap a new one by they last at least a week even with heavy tobacco liquids.

Yeah that works twice at most and then they're too harsh to vape. I mean 'dead' as in not because they're dirty, I think it's more because the wire just degrades with constant use. It's possible Ni80 doesn't last as long as other types of coil, not sure. (I'm talking about this in the context of an RDA which is in constant daily use. On an MTL dripper they last a bit longer, and on both DTL and MTL RTA's they last way way longer).

It's also possible that our throats get more sensitive as we get older, I'm in my mid 40's now and my throat doesn't like any kind of harshness any more. In my 20's I didn't think anything of smoking ancient dried out rolling tobacco and cheap nasty hash through a wafer-thin rizla right down to the roach. These days if I'm within a square mile radius of a light puff of cigarette smoke I start moaning like an old lady...

My coils start spitting at me. I use round wire, Ni80 or Kanthal, which is cheap enough to fit new coils each time. I'm sure my liking for Beaum & Deluxe custards doesn't help either.

I wonder if the spitting might ben more to do with the cotton @ChrisS ? I’m like you though, just switch the coil when the cotton is dirty and flavour starts to go.

It really depends on the juice. The vast majority no. If it's a really strong flavour to a weaker one then maybe, I mix my own so anything that's being tested is usually a rewick, new flavours always get a rewick and rewick at steeping intervals. The ones I know what they're going to taste like there's not much point after 1ml or less the taste of the previous one is usually gone as the profiles aren't too dissimilar. A couple of my very favourites I always rewick because I just love them that much. I rotate 3 setups, one dual coil for known flavours, one single coil for known flavours and one single coil for testing new stuff. I generally end up switching flavour once per day on the known ones and whenever I've got a feel for the one being tested. so generally 5 or 6 flavours a day. The single coil testing gets changed every day and the other two probably every 2 or 3 days. The flavours that tend to stick around I tend to use last before changing coils anyway.

I wonder if the spitting might ben more to do with the cotton @ChrisS ? I’m like you though, just switch the coil when the cotton is dirty and flavour starts to go.
It's possible. I've tried a couple of cottons and different packings inside the coil though. With this new info my own guess is that the coil is getting coated with clag and the liquid is not vapourising but boiling and spitting off the coil. I have noticed that vapour production drops shortly before the spitting starts.

Back
Top Bottom