What's new

Clapton wire for MTL vaping? Advice please.

Personally, I’d put any favourable qualities solely down to the quality of the wire used in making the coils. Stealthvape wire goes through a double acid wash process and is über clean and pre-annealed. Rob @stealthvape also has datasheet documentation for every variety of wire he sells, so you’re damn sure you’re getting what you think you’re getting. Other manufacturers and vendors are less transparent and reliable in their sourcing, and the grade and quality of wire found in coils made by the likes of Coilology or Vandy Vape etc is largely unknown and can vary from batch to batch. Same with plain old round wire. I like to be able to trust that I’m using exactly what I think I’m using, and not have it drip all over the shop with machine oil. So to me, the better the source material the better the outcome. No point skimping and cutting corners to end up having a less than brilliant result [emoji1303]

Thank you, that makes total sense. I have had varying quality from certain suppliers, but mainly use Stealthvape wire.

Thanks for the reply @Pilgrim Wire . There’s little info available regarding all this so it’s nice to know. Ever thought of making some mtl wire shots for those that like to roll their own?

Also I notice you mix kanthal and NI80 on one of the coils. Is there a reason you don’t use pure NI80 and does the k1 core have an advantage over the ni core?

When I look at the techincal data on steam engine I don’t really understand what I’m looking at as science and numbers are not my forte.

Just trying to learn as much as possible :)
Cheers

Thanks for the reply @Pilgrim Wire . There’s little info available regarding all this so it’s nice to know. Ever thought of making some mtl wire shots for those that like to roll their own?

Also I notice you mix kanthal and NI80 on one of the coils. Is there a reason you don’t use pure NI80 and does the k1 core have an advantage over the ni core?

When I look at the techincal data on steam engine I don’t really understand what I’m looking at as science and numbers are not my forte.

Cheers

The “MTLD” Ni80/ A1 mix came about after my friend LD Williams was trying a few different types and decided he liked that mix the most. So it was named after the KHW Mods Jorda topcap, which was named after him [emoji23]. I don’t recall why that particular mix was made tbh. I think the thinking was to benefit from the slightly faster ramp up of Nichrome 80 and to retain the familiar taste and sensation of Kanthal. But tbh I haven’t a clue now [emoji23].

I’m not reeeeaaaally into the brosciencey aide of coil making. I think an awful lot of marketing wank is put about to make things sound more desirable than they really ought to be. This is probably why I’m not rich and vape famous, but hey ho [emoji23]. I just make wire that I like to use, and then really only as a “fuck you” to my increasingly crippley digits. I’m just chuffed that other folk like them too. I’m sure there’s some insanely complex algorithms that will result in the most epic coils ever, but like everything I’d bet they’d be best left on paper [emoji23]. Experiment and tinker til tounfind something that works is how I do it. Seems to be alright so far [emoji23][emoji1303]

Cheers

I occasionally do wire sticks for folk. I’m trying not to do too much “Custom” work as it were, cos I’m incredibly unreliable due to health stuff. Hate the idea of keeping folk waiting. But if I’m well enough then it’s no problemo.

I do do straight Ni80, but at the moment that’s an exclusive coil on the KHW Mods website.

The “MTLD” Ni80/ A1 mix came about after my friend LD Williams was trying a few different types and decided he liked that mix the most. So it was named after the KHW Mods Jorda topcap, which was named after him [emoji23]. I don’t recall why that particular mix was made tbh. I think the thinking was to benefit from the slightly faster ramp up of Nichrome 80 and to retain the familiar taste and sensation of Kanthal. But tbh I haven’t a clue now [emoji23].

I’m not reeeeaaaally into the brosciencey aide of coil making. I think an awful lot of marketing wank is put about to make things sound more desirable than they really ought to be. This is probably why I’m not rich and vape famous, but hey ho [emoji23]. I just make wire that I like to use, and then really only as a “fuck you” to my increasingly crippley digits. I’m just chuffed that other folk like them too. I’m sure there’s some insanely complex algorithms that will result in the most epic coils ever, but like everything I’d bet they’d be best left on paper [emoji23]. Experiment and tinker til tounfind something that works is how I do it. Seems to be alright so far [emoji23][emoji1303]

I'm not technically/ scientifically gifted either. I agree that the best way is to experiment and see what works in practice.

I don’t like it for mtl builds or find the flavour any better, some people do though. Worth trying it out, I think, cause you might like it. Folk have been speaking highly of the pilgrim wire, he’s a member here. @Pilgrim Wire

There’s also vandy vape mtl wire and I think crazy wire co might do a few different ones as well.
I been reading the comments and one name keeps popping up pilgrim wire are thethat good?

I'm a 27ga Stealthvape Kanthal user and I've used it for a long time. I recently got my hands on some Coilology Ni80 MTL clapton wire. While it is obviously lovely wire and I have thoroughly enjoyed messing around with it, I can't tell any difference between that and my 27 ga Kanthal round wire - except the price.

I been reading the comments and one name keeps popping up pilgrim wire are thethat good?

I’ve not tried them but many members on here seem to be using them and I’ve not seen a negative comment from anybody.

I’ve tried the coilology ni80 stuff recently which is pretty good. The vandy vape stuff was disappointing.

I think I prefer just plain wire, though.

Anything using Stealthvape wire is really good. Pilgrim claptons use Stealthvape and are excellent but expensive. They seem to be lasting well though. I would also rate the Coilology Ni80 clapton wire. Nearly as good as Pilgrim. If you're on a budget get a reel of Coilology or Stealthvape ordinary roundwire.

I’m trying out some fused Clapton’s from ICM mods. Hand made wire shots that you roll yourself. I’m only a few hours in but there is a significant difference already from the coilology stuff I usually use and really like. Very very impressed so far!

Back
Top Bottom