What's new

Need a little help understanding SS ?

sparkuk

Postman
I have up til now, made and vaped on only kanthal or Ni80 coils. Now thought I'd try my hand at SS for a change.
So, I know gauge for gauge SS has a lower resistance, and I bear that mind when calculating what gauges to use. So what I did just as a start, was take out my pair of 3x28+38 Ni80 fused claptons (3mm, 5.5 turns), which ohmed out to about 0.2 for the build, and made a couple of 2x28+38 SS316L (3mm, 6.5 turns) ohming out around the same, 0.2 the pair.
So, talking about vaping them in straight watts mode, the Ni80 pair were hitting sweet for me at about 80-85W. The SS ones however, barely make it to 65W before tasting really harsh and burnt.
So what's going on here, is it because the SS coils have less mass? Or because they ramp faster/run hotter? Or is it down to something else?

Devices in use: Kylin 2 RTA on Triade DNA250c, wattage mode (for now).

I’d advise to stop turning the power up before they start tasting harsh and burnt. Give it a try and see how you get on.

I use almost identical SS316L fused claptons in my topside dual and they run fine at 75W. where is your wire from and what cotton are you using?

I use almost identical SS316L fused claptons in my topside dual and they run fine at 75W. where is your wire from and what cotton are you using?
The wire is from stealth, as is the bacon v2 I'm using.

Can you take a piccy of the setup?
Coils looked ok but I rewicked it anyway.

Screenshot_20190329-231450_Gallery.jpg

Does the rewicked one taste burnt too? Also, did you pulse those coils? I know they're spaced, just the end wraps look considerably darker than the rest, as if you're getting a hot leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using 65 watts straight away after you have built your new coils if so try lower watts to bed in your new coils then slowly go up in the watts till you hit the sweet spot of where you want to be...........

Back
Top Bottom