What's new

Clapton wire for MTL vaping? Advice please.

i'd really like to get to grips with what makes captions work for mtl. I had an awful time with the Vandy Vape superfine with anything from 1.1 down to .8 ohms at ranges from 18 watts down to 12 but have my favourite vape when I use the non fused Coilology stuff. Im struggling to understand what exactly it is about these wires that makes them work or not.

Id be really interested to hear any input on this.

i think my best coils are 0.5 ish ohm 5 wraps spaced coil 3mm Id on the SS Vandy mtl clapton vape wire and i can honestly tell you the flavour is great . But yes because of that low resistance it does need a fair amount of watts to power it , so that why i use the 30 watts give or take. Shows up as 3.9 volts on my mod ...

Haven't seen much love for Kanthal? I make MTL claptons out of 28g wrapped in 40g, all Kanthal - they work really well

I'd been working on the assumption that Ni80 heated/cooled quicker than Kanthal - but I think this is a misconception that is due to people needing to build lower for mechs - I played around in Steam Engine, and it showed Kanthal being quicker for a given length of wire.

I still owe @Rob some...

Haven't seen much love for Kanthal? I make MTL claptons out of 28g wrapped in 40g, all Kanthal - they work really well

I'd been working on the assumption that Ni80 heated/cooled quicker than Kanthal - but I think this is a misconception that is due to people needing to build lower for mechs - I played around in Steam Engine, and it showed Kanthal being quicker for a given length of wire.

I still owe @Rob some...
I do think NI80 heats and cools quicker than kanthal but you have to take into consideration the mass of the coil, a small MTL coil the difference would be tiny it any and the only time it truly makes a difference is on large DTL coils with lots of mass like fused Clapton or even plain 20 gauge [emoji4]

I still owe @Rob some...

I may have to get some kanthal Pilgrim coils to compare to the NI80 ones I've got

I do think NI80 heats and cools quicker than kanthal but you have to take into consideration the mass of the coil, a small MTL coil the difference would be tiny it any and the only time it truly makes a difference is on large DTL coils with lots of mass like fused Clapton or even plain 20 gauge [emoji4]

I notice a difference between 28, 30 and 32awg stainless at 10-12w.

I did build some from Ni80, they were perceptibly slower. Not much in it, but they seemed to cook the juice a bit more. Wasn't totally scientific as I was wrapping with 38g rather than 40g - 40g is a bit magical, but harder to work with

Were my ears burning? Bit poorly atm so I’m not around so much. I’ll help if I can though. [emoji1303]

Were my ears burning? Bit poorly atm so I’m not around so much. I’ll help if I can though. [emoji1303]

Sorry you're poorly.
In post #45 of this thread Discomatt was asking about the varying quality of MTL claptons. In short why do coils such as yours work really well, whereas Vandyvape are a bit meh. Is it wire quality, ramp up potential or something more?

Sorry you're poorly.
In post #45 of this thread Discomatt was asking about the varying quality of MTL claptons. In short why do coils such as yours work really well, whereas Vandyvape are a bit meh. Is it wire quality, ramp up potential or something more?

Personally, I’d put any favourable qualities solely down to the quality of the wire used in making the coils. Stealthvape wire goes through a double acid wash process and is über clean and pre-annealed. Rob @stealthvape also has datasheet documentation for every variety of wire he sells, so you’re damn sure you’re getting what you think you’re getting. Other manufacturers and vendors are less transparent and reliable in their sourcing, and the grade and quality of wire found in coils made by the likes of Coilology or Vandy Vape etc is largely unknown and can vary from batch to batch. Same with plain old round wire. I like to be able to trust that I’m using exactly what I think I’m using, and not have it drip all over the shop with machine oil. So to me, the better the source material the better the outcome. No point skimping and cutting corners to end up having a less than brilliant result [emoji1303]

Personally, I’d put any favourable qualities solely down to the quality of the wire used in making the coils. Stealthvape wire goes through a double acid wash process and is über clean and pre-annealed. Rob @stealthvape also has datasheet documentation for every variety of wire he sells, so you’re damn sure you’re getting what you think you’re getting. Other manufacturers and vendors are less transparent and reliable in their sourcing, and the grade and quality of wire found in coils made by the likes of Coilology or Vandy Vape etc is largely unknown and can vary from batch to batch. Same with plain old round wire. I like to be able to trust that I’m using exactly what I think I’m using, and not have it drip all over the shop with machine oil. So to me, the better the source material the better the outcome. No point skimping and cutting corners to end up having a less than brilliant result [emoji1303]
Yeah nothing but love for Stealth, it's nice to see vendors who don't cut pennies on the budget for quality.

It might mean tiny margins more in cost to end consumer, but if you're buying juice. Spend the extra on the coil material and enjoy the liquid you've paid for.

If you DIY juice, use your savings to enjoy your DIY more.

Back
Top Bottom