What's new

Making my own Clapton wire, what gauge wires to begin with?

JoeMac

Postman
I want to start making my own Clapton wire and was hoping for some advice on what gauge wire would be easiest to work with to begin with. I'm more interested in learning the proper technique rather then anything to start with so not so concerned with what the final resistance of the wire will end up being. I was thinking of 26 gauge wrapped with 34 gauge. Does this sound like a good starting point? Also, I've read that Kanthal is easier to work with then Nichrome, is there any truth to this?

Thanks.

Aye, good starting gauges to kick on with. Hell, thats the gauges I used to use when I had the patience and close up eyesight for that caper!

Nichrome was easier for me to work with for the wrapping, but at that level of thin i don't suppose it makes too much of a difference.

let us know how it all works out, and keep in mind, if an aged fumblethumbs like me can do them you'll have nae bother!:D

Or just buy a daedalus and get on with your life... love mine and takes the eye strain out of it.

I use ss316. Core wire doesn't matter too much and you're using this to determine your final resistance, obviously thinner wire is more difficult.
When I started I was using 32gague for the outer clapton, this is easy to see but from experience is actually more difficult to work with because of the thickness. I now use 36 gauge which is much easier to work with but I have to use +2.50 ready readers to see what I'm doing (curse you middle age!) 34 gauge will probably give you a fairly happy medium.

I started with 2x26 Ni80 core and 38 Ni80 wrap, and still just doing this as the results are great and I can't be bothered to experiment a lot. Probably best to start with simple Clapton wire which is extremely easy to wrap if you have a drill, a nail, and a couple of swivels.

It is likely that 36 AWG wrapping wire is easier to work with though. No comment on kanthal vs SS vs Ni80 in terms of what's easier to use. I think kanthal feels stiffer than the other two but I may well be wrong.

Just buy some of Smut's coils in your chosen resistance, you'll thank me later when you appear to have a metal bird's nest sitting in front of you!

But seriously, give it a go if you fancy it - I tried making my own years ago when claptons first came to prominence, think it was 26awg wrapped in 32awg, both kanthal, and I had some success but ramp up was hopeless. Most coil builders would advise using at least 10 gauges higher for your wrap than the core.

Buy from Smut - pray to Korean Jesus :)

Just buy some of Smut's coils in your chosen resistance, you'll thank me later when you appear to have a metal bird's nest sitting in front of you!

But seriously, give it a go if you fancy it - I tried making my own years ago when claptons first came to prominence, think it was 26awg wrapped in 32awg, both kanthal, and I had some success but ramp up was hopeless. Most coil builders would advise using at least 10 gauges higher for your wrap than the core.

Buy from Smut - pray to Korean Jesus :)
As it happens I'm eagerly awaiting a delivery of some mini aliens from @Smut, fecken Irish postal services is the thing of the dark ages :17:

Still fancy giving the DIY thing a go, just need to order some 36 & 38 gauge wire.

As it happens I'm eagerly awaiting a delivery of some mini aliens from @Smut, fecken Irish postal services is the thing of the dark ages :17:

Still fancy giving the DIY thing a go, just need to order some 36 & 38 gauge wire.
You'll not be disappointed, excellent coils and need to order some more myself as I'm having real bother currently with Coilology ones in my squonker. Hmm, might actually be my wick as against my better judgement I bought it from Ebay - the prices are quite uniform on there for CB Prime compared to where I used to buy it, and a couple of quid cheaper, packs look legit too. Maybe a duff batch as I saw someone complaining about it on FB yesterday?

My eyesight struggles with 26awg nevermind bloody 36 or 38! Go for it though, you might be brilliant at it!

Back
Top Bottom