What's new

Cthulhu Tube: First Look

Simon G

Olympian
First things first, Cthulhu sent me this for free, They didn't tell me they were sending it and they didn't ask me to do a review in return, post links or ask for anything in return at all. ... and this isn't a review, it just me starting a thread for us to discuss the item, I've not used it anywhere near enough yet to give a realistic 'rating' anyway.... so that out of the way.

When I posted this in the 'what did you get you the mail' the discussion started about the mech/regulated situation. To be honest I wasn't sure what 'protections' this mod had so I asked Cthulhu some questions so I could get some info to pass on, because I knew I would be getting asked.

What I gather from our conversation is that the circuit board contains a mosfet switching system and some kind of diode protection that acts like a fuse and will blow with an atomister hard short or if the resistance is under 0.1ohm. It also has reverse battery protection should you put the battery in the wrong way.

There is no '5 clicks' on or off, no led, no power regulation. In use it is very much like using a mech, using the voltage of the cell only.

If you get a short and blow the protection on the board you will need to replace the PCB, Cthulhu have assured me that these will be available as replacements at an 'affordable cost' and knowing the price of Cthulhu products and spares I have no doubt this will be the case. Thankfully the PCB is very easy to replace, there's just a single 1.5mm hex screw to undo.

IMG_20190216_002702.jpg
IMG_20190216_002625.jpg
IMG_20190216_002601.jpg
IMG_20190216_002551.jpg

Back at the other end, there's some more safety features, inside the tubes are delrin (?) rings, which hold the case of the battery away from the sides of the metal tubes by just a fraction. In 18350 mode there's one at the top and bottom of the cell, in 18650 there's top, middle and bottom. There's also 2 large holes in the bottom (in the battery tightening section) to allow safer venting of the battery if that should happen. (it's positive down for the cell, so they are in exactly the right place)

IMG_20190216_002830.jpg
IMG_20190216_002801.jpg
IMG_20190216_002835.jpg
IMG_20190216_002824.jpg
IMG_20190216_003442.jpg

Here's some pics of how it looks in 18350 and 18650 modes, with 22mm and 24mm atties.

IMG_20190216_002933.jpg
IMG_20190216_003246.jpg
IMG_20190216_003326.jpg
IMG_20190216_003255.jpg

and some size comparisons..

IMG_20190216_003001.jpg
IMG_20190216_003116.jpg
IMG_20190216_003402.jpg

If there's one thing that I'm not too keen on it's this little octopus, which looks like a kids cartoon or something..... not sure why they decided to go with that when personally I think the usual Cthulhu logo is cool and would have looked much better and would have matched the one on the hastur chamber. ... odd choice.

IMG_20190216_003531.jpg

anyway that's about it, let me know what you think. (we can just ignore the octopus if you like!)

I've been enjoying it so far, it does feel like i'm using a mech (with a nicer button placement) it's pretty heavy and solid feeling too.

Thanks @cthulhumod

any questions?

Interesting, is the logo etched or could it be cleaned off with some acetone? Pity they didn't go for the seamless look like the EHpro 101. Look forward to reading more when you get a chance :D

Nice looking tube and like the fire button position as not really keen on bottom firing da dum dum.
I see you've posted this in the mtl section so is this where this device is marketed?
Have you tried running more amps through it for higher powered use?

Not keen on tube mods, but I agree on the octopus (WTF!!!) and the button placement. :2thumbsup:

Thanks for the review and detail @SimonG. I really like the look of this little mod. I like it but I don’t need it. Which means I will prob end up getting it [emoji3]

First things first, Cthulhu sent me this for free, They didn't tell me they were sending it and they didn't ask me to do a review in return, post links or ask for anything in return at all. ... and this isn't a review, it just me starting a thread for us to discuss the item, I've not used it anywhere near enough yet to give a realistic 'rating' anyway.... so that out of the way.

When I posted this in the 'what did you get you the mail' the discussion started about the mech/regulated situation. To be honest I wasn't sure what 'protections' this mod had so I asked Cthulhu some questions so I could get some info to pass on, because I knew I would be getting asked.

What I gather from our conversation is that the circuit board contains a mosfet switching system and some kind of diode protection that acts like a fuse and will blow with an atomister hard short or if the resistance is under 0.1ohm. It also has reverse battery protection should you put the battery in the wrong way.

There is no '5 clicks' on or off, no led, no power regulation. In use it is very much like using a mech, using the voltage of the cell only.

If you get a short and blow the protection on the board you will need to replace the PCB, Cthulhu have assured me that these will be available as replacements at an 'affordable cost' and knowing the price of Cthulhu products and spares I have no doubt this will be the case. Thankfully the PCB is very easy to replace, there's just a single 1.5mm hex screw to undo.

View attachment 185326 View attachment 185327 View attachment 185328 View attachment 185329

Back at the other end, there's some more safety features, inside the tubes are delrin (?) rings, which hold the case of the battery away from the sides of the metal tubes by just a fraction. In 18350 mode there's one at the top and bottom of the cell, in 18650 there's top, middle and bottom. There's also 2 large holes in the bottom (in the battery tightening section) to allow safer venting of the battery if that should happen. (it's positive down for the cell, so they are in exactly the right place)

View attachment 185330 View attachment 185331 View attachment 185332 View attachment 185333 View attachment 185334

Here's some pics of how it looks in 18350 and 18650 modes, with 22mm and 24mm atties.

View attachment 185335 View attachment 185336 View attachment 185337 View attachment 185338

and some size comparisons..

View attachment 185339 View attachment 185340 View attachment 185341

If there's one thing that I'm not too keen on it's this little octopus, which looks like a kids cartoon or something..... not sure why they decided to go with that when personally I think the usual Cthulhu logo is cool and would have looked much better and would have matched the one on the hastur chamber. ... odd choice.

View attachment 185342

anyway that's about it, let me know what you think. (we can just ignore the octopus if you like!)

I've been enjoying it so far, it does feel like i'm using a mech (with a nicer button placement) it's pretty heavy and solid feeling too.

Thanks @cthulhumod

any questions?
I've pre ordered but it occurred to me that in my initial rush for shiny things that my intended target for this (the hastur mini) will be unsuitable as I find it prefers a lower than usual voltage anyway.
Have you tried it with the mini and did fire belch forth from the drip tip, lol.

Not sure about tube mods, but I am always interested when Cthulhu launch something. Thanks for the preview

It's just struck me that I've seen this design knocking around the Chinese clone sites for the last month.
I think larger chambered mtl tanks like the full size berserker and hastur will be the way to go. Good for drip testing liquids too.

I see you've posted this in the mtl section so is this where this device is marketed?
Have you tried running more amps through it for higher powered use?

No I don't think it's marketed that way at all but it's how I'll be using it .... and that's how I vape. I won't be testing it with anything low resistance.

Back
Top Bottom