What's new

Drip Tip Coating advice

So I was happily designing and 3D printing drip tips when the question came up about 'food safe' which turned out to be a good question, turns out PLA is food safe but the printing process leaves microscopic gaps which can lead to bacteria build up, so I have put them on hold while I find a solution.

I can seal them with Polyurethane spray but I am unlikely reach the entire bore, so I am looking for a dip sealant solution that won't leave too thick a coat that it affects the dimensions too much or rub off and obviously food safe.

Any ideas please?

The bonding for the coating will either have to be a mechanical or chemical both have draw backs and both would need a finish afterwards

Ive never seen printed drip tip before

Edit a quick search is saying pla is no good due to the heat abs seems an option

ABS is full of nasty chemicals so not the best choice for food safe, I've been printing with PLA filament (Polylactic acid) is thermoplastic aliphatic polyester made of renewable resources like corn or starch.

I am quite happy with it, a clean in every day antibacterial hand wash in warm water is fine for me, but I am not comfortable making them for other users until I am confident they are everyday safe, done some research and sealing is the only practical solution, as you mentioned chemicals appear to be my options so far, Epoxy Resin was one suggestion but that sounds counter intuitive.

There's supposed to be some FDA approved food safe filaments about but I haven't found any UK standards, I will keep digging but really hoping for a dip treatment solution, drip tips are so cheap it's not worth investing too much, mainly needed them for matchy matchy kits.

Back
Top Bottom