What's new

Building with Flatwire

JoeMac

Postman
Good evening Apes,

I've picked up a spool of Flatwire (25g Ni80), and was just wondering will Flatwire resistance be the same as regular round wire of the same gauge?

Thanks,
JM

It will be pretty similar. My builds using 24g nichrome flatwire usually come out close to what 24g round wire would be, using steam-engine to calculate it.

I’ve heard a lot about using flatwire on here. In particular the Brochrome from Stealth vape. What are the benefits over round wire.. I get that there’s more surface area and that but is there anything else???

I’ve heard a lot about using flatwire on here. In particular the Brochrome from Stealth vape. What are the benefits over round wire.. I get that there’s more surface area and that but is there anything else???
Well technically that's it - more surface area touching the cotton than the equivalent round wire.

But it's the practical advantages of that flatter surface that make it so useful.

It gives some of the benefits of large complex coils, without all the added ramp up and cool down time. So you get more vapour production and you get it quickly.

It also allows you to do builds in larger decks, where round wire coils would either be too small with their legs having to come out at angles to meet the posts, or you would have to space them really wide.

Here is a photo of my Goon, using 24 gauge nichrome flatwire. If that was round wire, the coils would be too small. If it was big old super triple framed stapled Claptons, the ramp up time on a mech would be a lot longer.
This build has the ramp up time of a simple round wire build, but with a coil of a size that is more suitable for the deck.

tapatalk_1547060008075.jpeg

I'm only getting around to building some coils now. I aiming for around .3 ohns so will try 7 warps of 25 gauge. Will let you know how I get on.

Good evening Apes,

I've picked up a spool of Flatwire (25g Ni80), and was just wondering will Flatwire resistance be the same as regular round wire of the same gauge?

Thanks,
JM

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure.

My understanding is that the gauge given when buying flatwire is that it is the gauge of the roundwire that it was made from rather than the guage of the flatwire.
Flatening does not change the resistance as for a given length of wire the ammount of metal is the same.

I'm only getting around to building some coils now. I aiming for around .3 ohns so will try 7 warps of 25 gauge. Will let you know how I get on.
If that's a dual coil setup, that sounds about right.

If that's a dual coil setup, that sounds about right.

Yup, dual coil, 7 wraps slightly spaced came out at .28. Happy with that and vaping very nicely in a Goon 1.5 at 68 watts with the airflow about one third closed. Anarchist Pink tasting as lovely as ever!

Back
Top Bottom