What's new

It’s all gone pear shaped with my EHproTrue tanks

MiscoDatt

Veteran
So I got my first True early December and apart from a few niggles all was fine. As the days went by I grew to love it more and more. The flavour was fantastic. It never leaked. A few dry hits and then all good again. I now have two of the little fellas and it’s all started to go wrong.

Firstly the dry hits are back and with that the flavour goes obviously, and then the leaks have started and I’m totally baffled by it. I’ve read ZT’s thread and Crewella’s and I seem to be doing all the right things but it’s all going a bit wrong.

Wicking;
Wick length is to the bottom of the cutouts and not visible from the outside
Wick thickness is enough for some resistance in the coil but not enough to move the coil when wiggling left and right
Wick ends are thinned out because when I don’t I get endless dry hits.

Coil height is about 1 mm from the air hole

I haven’t changed method since I’ve had it. Both tanks today have leaked like sieves and I don’t know why. Both have also given me dry hits. This seems odd to say the least.

Liquids are 60/40 and 50/50

I honestly haven’t a clue what’s going on. I’d really appreciate a little help.

Thank you

So I got my first True early December and apart from a few niggles all was fine. As the days went by I grew to love it more and more. The flavour was fantastic. It never leaked. A few dry hits and then all good again. I now have two of the little fellas and it’s all started to go wrong.

Firstly the dry hits are back and with that the flavour goes obviously, and then the leaks have started and I’m totally baffled by it. I’ve read ZT’s thread and Crewella’s and I seem to be doing all the right things but it’s all going a bit wrong.

Wicking;
Wick length is to the bottom of the cutouts and not visible from the outside
Wick thickness is enough for some resistance in the coil but not enough to move the coil when wiggling left and right
Wick ends are thinned out because when I don’t I get endless dry hits.

Coil height is about 1 mm from the air hole

I haven’t changed method since I’ve had it. Both tanks today have leaked like sieves and I don’t know why. Both have also given me dry hits. This seems odd to say the least.

Liquids are 60/40 and 50/50

I honestly haven’t a clue what’s going on. I’d really appreciate a little help.

Thank you
New coils or old ones ?.

Too much flavouring perhaps....

Pear-Capella1.jpg

May I suggest upping the ratio to 70/30 or 75/25 ???

Not being funny my black Vapefly Galaxies RTA started leaking like a sieve
re-wick, recoil, rewick, rewick long short tight loose cotton blah blah blah...
Still leaked ???

I mixed up my own 60/40 instead of 50/50 which helped quite a bit
but still a slight little bit of weeping through the air intake port
I then changed the block by rotating the two hole block 90 degrees to a single port
(yup you got two blocks with 2 holes & single hole & a slot & slightly larger hole)
So you have two cubes on the Galaxies RTA with 2 options making 4 in total

Viola - no more leaking, though to be honest I might have been able to just resit the two hole block
(may have come loose or never fitted 101% in the ultra high precision Chinese assembly line sweat shop)
But anyway the thicker juice helped and more so reseating or different air block

Now you do not have the option to change airblock like on the Vapefly RTA so are stuck with one under coil
So all you can do is alter the viscosity as well as coil/wicking methods
The thinner the viscosity the runnier the juice is and have a possibility of seeping into air passage
once it begins to seep you are likely screwed as more juice will at least try to follow blah blah blah
(well like flooding/leaking you can try to blow the crap out & up the watts but if bad it'll continue to weep)
So it is fair to assume on "some" instances a larger hole will seep more on lower viscosity liquids

Why has all this crap started - Fuctifino
Maybe central heating, warmer homes, maybe old juice, variations in viscosity etc....
But if you have exhausted all options on coil/wicking then it is possible the viscosity may have altered slightly

Strip everything down, flush it all out & dry
then try a 70/30 or 75/25 ejuice is perhaps next port of call

RTA's and the size of air intake on decks vary a LOT
(been glancing at numerous MTL decks lately - sad thing I am)
Which has lead me to believe them decks/tanks really vary a lot
Probably why some tanks leak more than others through air intakes on certain juices
(and why others do not suffer quite so much on 50/50 juice)

Pen stick stuff & say stock coil tanks can run on almost anything from 70 PG to 70 VG
Often a 50/50 mix works great on stock coil tanks - but not so great on RTA's perhaps
(especially if you got a rather large air hole under a low sitting coil)

Now you might have the coil sitting ultra low, just a whisper above the air hole
which is tapered, now if the juice builds up and just slightly soaks around the coil
it might just start to saturate enough the juice just touches the nozzle
(especially when air flow stops after you finish the draw)
DROP - and off you go with juices seeping down the air inlet
(1mm might be a bit low - try say 2mm perhaps)
So try raising the coil up a little bit maybe to avoid saturation reaching the air nozzle easily
(might help but also a thicker juice too, so raise the coil and if no joy increase VG ratio)

As for dry hits - I'm guessing the wicking or thickness of cotton
This is still the guesswork bit for everyone
I wish you could take an easy peasy formula for wicking but it isn't quite so simple
If all cotton was exact thickness & type and all juices exactly the same
then it might be possible to assume the inner diameter of coil say x 3 or something
(stripping off top/bottom layers blah blah blah & arrive a rough ball park cotton width)
EG: 2.5mm ID coil x 3 = 7.5mm width to cut, strip off layers twist/roll wick
or
EG: 3mm ID coil x 3 = 9mm width to cut, strip.....
Alas cotton, coil, juices, tanks and crap are not equal and this figure of 3 x coil ID is not set in stone
(never can be as explained as too many variables)
However it might give some an idea of x2.5, x3 or x3.5 etc... something to work with
if you eventually find something that does work for a particular tank/setup
(don't flame me, but found about 7.5mm strip works OK for last couple wicks on a 2.5 coil just recently)
Now doubt this will work a few times then go crap just when you think you sussed something

Not saying wicking doesn't play a big part - but viscosity is maybe the next thing to examine/consider maybe ???
(well from what I have also recently discovered myself)
just my 2 cents - best of luck

Last edited:
New coils or old ones ?.

On the one tank it’s brand new (thought I’d try the stock coil again) and on the other it’s only a few days old.

@Fuctifino i can’t use higher vg as they are all shortfill. One thing I haven’t done is raise the coil height though. May nudge it up a bit and see.

On the one tank it’s brand new (thought I’d try the stock coil again) and on the other it’s only a few days old.

@Fuctifino i can’t use higher vg as they are all shortfill. One thing I haven’t done is raise the coil height though. May nudge it up a bit and see.
I initially had issues in not soaking the wicks enough to block the juice channel when first setting up a new coil leading to it pissing its pants.

Well if you add any nicotine, could you not add VG nicotine instead of PG or 50/50 nicotine shots ???
(ignore if you thought of this already or no nic)

I initially had issues in not soaking the wicks enough to block the juice channel when first setting up a new coil leading to it pissing its pants.

Definitely a possibility, I've done it myself!

Another thing I found is to not fluff the end of the wicks out if using Muji. I've done that religiously on everything Ive ever owned but on ZTs suggestion, didn't fluff out the ends when wicking and, presto, no leaking and no weeping.

Definitely a possibility, I've done it myself!

Another thing I found is to not fluff the end of the wicks out if using Muji. I've done that religiously on everything Ive ever owned but on ZTs suggestion, didn't fluff out the ends when wicking and, presto, no leaking and no weeping.

Each time I wick I make sure it’s pretty well soaked so I can get it into the wicking channels without it catching in the threads. I’m wondering if I’m putting in too much wick? How loose is your wick in the coil?

Well if you add any nicotine, could you not add VG nicotine instead of PG or 50/50 nicotine shots ???
(ignore if you thought of this already or no nic)

I’ve got pure pg Nic shots to bring the 70/30 down to 60/40 ish. The rest is all 50/50 10 ml stuff

I’ve got pure pg Nic shots to bring the 70/30 down to 60/40 ish. The rest is all 50/50 10 ml stuff

Well by all means experiment with wicking raising coil a bit from 1mm to say 2mm
might lose a smidge of flavour but if it works then lower back to say 1.5mm
or something in between - heck shove a thin bit of plastic/spacer under bare coil to set height bang on
(remove spacer of course before wicking/operation)

if still no joy or little success then perhaps consider using VG nicotine shots for this tank to increase viscosity

would be good if people could list their ratios they are using & successful leak free True examples though
(soz but the amount of people using like 70/30+ on RTA's or certain RTA models is increasing)
I'm using up the last bits of my 50/50 in my Zenith's as is or mix it with thicker DIY but still use in Zenith than RTA's
The 60/40 DIY is fine for my Ares & Galaxies - but they have smaller holes than what the Ehpro True has
So feel this tank might prefer a slightly thicker juice - even if wicked to perfection

Really really daft stupid dumb idea.....

But can you list your ratio mix ???
coz often them calculators or guides are far from accurate

See if you take a virgin zero nic mix
take 30ml 70/30 virgin mix, add 10ml 18mg PG nic shot
you don't get 6mg nic but 4.5mg nic (18/4) & this gives you a ratio of 52.5% VG
well by my maths but I could be wrong...

30ml @ 70/30 = 21 VG & 9 PG
add 10ml 18mg nic PG makes 21 VG & 19 PG = 52.5/47.5 & 4.5mg nic

soz but I've seen some rough reckoners out there and thought - nah that ain't right.....
"Add 10ml nic shot to 30ml = 6mg nicotine..."
No you fucking don't, that 18mg is now spread across 40ml than 10ml so you got 4.5mg not 6mg
plus you add a decent boost of nicotine & your viscosity mix goes way out more than you think....

30ml 70/30 virgin mix & add 10ml nic shot:

10ml PG nic shot makes 52.5/47.5
10ml 50/50 nic shot === 65/35
10ml VG nic shot makes 77.5/22.5

I think the above is correct, but alters the viscosity quite a bit especially on adding 100% PG nic

I'm out of ideas, & I do not have this tank to comment or offer any more suggestions
so I'll bow out & wish you well hoping you suss it very soon sir
ATB & Happy New Year

Last edited:
Each time I wick I make sure it’s pretty well soaked so I can get it into the wicking channels without it catching in the threads. I’m wondering if I’m putting in too much wick? How loose is your wick in the coil?

Never put it together with saturated wicks.
They need to be dry enough so that when the juice hits them they expand.
Putting the tank together with wet wicks means their shape will already be formed but they wont ever fill the channels properly this way.

Back
Top Bottom