What's new

Vandy Vape Bonza Mech Kit

shnazzle

Postman
I hope this is the correct section to post this now... if not, mods please move/remove

Vandy Vape Bonza Mech with Bonza v1.5 RDA

Unpacking
ul27Yc.jpg

After a long pre-order period, following my eager purchase of the Bonza mech kit, it has arrived. I fell hook, line and sinker for the marketing of this one being closely related to Sam (Vaping Bogan) and the RDA getting some solid reviews.

The box comes wrapped like an old ciggie box where you have to tear the little gold strip along the top to remove the clear foil (the irony has not escaped me). The box sleeve makes it look like you're buying a pricier mech than it is, nice and clear. The box itself has an aire of "Seiko watch" to it. Classy.

Open it up and you're faced with the tube, RDA, 18650 adapter with button spring and spare magnets (which are required!...see later)

What can I say; I went for the textured black tube with solid copper core and it looks the business.

Under the tray we have a lengthy tiny manual, o-rings, tools, squonk pin, extra screws and spare plates in a baggy. Also another large o-ring in a separate baggy.

The tube feels weighty, solid and has good grip but still feels quite smooth. So won't hurt my hand.

The ability to turn the logo on the sleeve to match the logo on the RDA is something I didn't think would be such a bonus but I think I've just found out how bad my OCD is. What a beautiful feature. It makes me smile :)

Disassembly
COeoao.jpg

Let's tear this puppy apart!

Unscrew the middle of the tube to split it in half for battery insertion and (swappable) sleeve removal. Under the sleeve your mech's production number is etched on the copper. 2557 in my case.
Vb4Lns.jpg

A little push with the screwdriver on the cut-outs of the button to crack it loose and swirl it out with your finger to reveal the solid copper button with the silver connection pin holding the magnets in place.

And this is where the fun stopped for me.

RDA wasn't anywhere near as compliant. I dare say, totally un-compliant.
I screw it onto the mech so I can remove the cover to expose the deck. It won't budge. Not even slightly.
Hmm. Try to turn the airflow adjustment. Won't budge. Keep trying with a lot of force (thinking "oh shhht, there goes my o-ring). It finally turns very stiffly. Hmm.
I pull the drip-tip and it pops off with just the right amount of hold. Thank fk for that!
I try to expose the deck again.... No luck. I end up pulling the airflow adjustment off instead, revealing its design for staggered airflow adjustment. Nice!
I'll cut to the chase; A few squirts of penetrating fluid (PlusGas) and some continuous hard slams on a table with a flathead screwdriver on the inside base of the deck and it finally comes out. I know for a fact 90% of you would have returned it by now as faulty.
NITmlZ.jpg

Clean it up and try to put it back on with a bit of juice as lube; nope! Won't go past the first o-ring. So I removed the first o-ring and it pops straight on and sits snug on the second o-ring.

Hmmmmm.

And another thing!!
I laid all the kit out on the table to take a picture for you lot and I mistakenly bumped into the button, which then brought it closer to the spare magnets causing the magnet to flip out of the button and onto the spares.... which then in turn shattered both spares... So, no more spares for me. These are some brittle magnets! Beware! Now I'll need to find some spares or use the spring in the future. I guess that's maybe why the spring is provided? :)
cZNic3.jpg

Build
Went for some 5-wrap tri-core ni80 claptons with 3mm diameter coming in at just over 0.26ohm. A bit big it seems for this RDA. Not much space for cotton so I had to be quite conservative with that. Still wicks well though due to the very deep wells on this RDA.
Very easy to build although with 5 wraps, cutting the legs off the final lower coil was a bit tricky.
Next build will either be single-core clapton or less wraps to give me a bit more space tolerance.
44rncf.jpg

Firing
Popped a fresh 30Q 18650 in with the provided adapter. No rattle.
All the other reviews are right about one thing; This button is hard to press. A bit uncomfortable and if you have the smooth stainless version, your hand is going to slide. On this textured one; not a problem.
I also had no problems firing the button by pressing on the edges. The button action is smooth and silent no matter where I press with my middle finger.
Edit: The stiff button is easily resolved and has increased the positivity of the experience to no end.
Take the spring and clamp it about half way in a wrench. Hold it over fire for 5 seconds and then dip in water. The spring should now hold the new tension and be much shorter. Fitted to the mech instead of the magnets, the firing is now a lot easier with a little less throw.

Vape
This isn't an RDA review so I won't go into it too much but in a nutshell, the airflow is mega and the ability to reduce airflow but still aim it directly at your coils is very nice indeed. Flavour and clouds for days with NO spitting no matter how much I fill that well. Not even any popping. The RDA gets a bit warm but not hot. But I am only running the 18650. The tube does get a bit warm. Nice on these winter days to be honest.

Conclusion
Don't have much to compare it to but so far, the direct hit, the solid nature and the excellent RDA (with one o-ring removed) makes for a very very pleasant vaping experience. It's easily worth the 53 quid it costs including RDA. You get what you pay for, but some aspects are definitely more than you pay for.
Would I recommend it over the Tauren?...no.

Last edited:
Well, that was a kick in the nuts with the magnets and no mistake. I'd email vandy to see if they would send you spares, or gently remove the others that are still intact and measure them, try somewhere like Guys Magnets to see if you can source spares the same size. You'll need inner diameter of the hole and outer diameter for the overall magnet size and their thickness.

Thanks.
With regards to the magnets, I'm either going to try to source less powerful magnets or stick to the spring.

The spring, after reducing the preload by about 40% as described above, is spot on. I can even fire it with my pinky so it makes a massive difference.

So that remains to be my top tip as it transforms this mod from "ok" to borderline great. With a 20700 25A it hits hard and smooth.

Second top tip is to make sure the button isn't recessed in the bottom. This makes it catch on the edges. Line it up perfectly with the edge and it fires beautifully and never catches.

The voltage drop on the new Bonza mech is shocking as well, good job it’s aimed as an introduction mech mod really, nicely written piece

The voltage drop on the new Bonza mech is shocking as well, good job it’s aimed as an introduction mech mod really, nicely written piece
That's exactly it. To be honest that's what I should have written above; it's a good intro mech.
With the internal sleeving for extra protection, good size venting holes, easy construction and large voltage drop you're less likely to mistakenly run too much voltage through your coils.

To be honest, I've set the mech aside. I really like the RDA but unfortunately because of the machining errors on mine it it doesn't make for pleasant use. Every part of the rda requires massive force to undo. Can't be bothered when it's only marginally better than the Drop Dead.
I use the Tauren over it happily. The button issues just got on my wick. If my Bonza RDA worked; that plus Tauren and I'd be happy with it for a starter kit.

Dreamer clone coming and then Vindicator. Go hard or go home.

That's exactly it. To be honest that's what I should have written above; it's a good intro mech.
With the internal sleeving for extra protection, good size venting holes, easy construction and large voltage drop you're less likely to mistakenly run too much voltage through your coils.

To be honest, I've set the mech aside. I really like the RDA but unfortunately because of the machining errors on mine it it doesn't make for pleasant use. Every part of the rda requires massive force to undo. Can't be bothered when it's only marginally better than the Drop Dead.
I use the Tauren over it happily. The button issues just got on my wick. If my Bonza RDA worked; that plus Tauren and I'd be happy with it for a starter kit.

Dreamer clone coming and then Vindicator. Go hard or go home.

If you have an original Bonza, swap the o-rings out. Works a charm.

The 1.5s are slightly bigger and stiffer. I don’t know why they changed them.

If you have an original Bonza, swap the o-rings out. Works a charm.

The 1.5s are slightly bigger and stiffer. I don’t know why they changed them.
Ah. That's good to know. I don't have the original but I can just get some different o-rings off the bay

The 1.5 (not sure about 1.0) has a tiny lip on the very bottom of the cover, whicj functions as the "stop" when you're turning the airflow. The o-ring gets snagged on this lip

Ah. That's good to know. I don't have the original but I can just get some different o-rings off the bay

The 1.5 (not sure about 1.0) has a tiny lip on the very bottom of the cover, whicj functions as the "stop" when you're turning the airflow. The o-ring gets snagged on this lip

Yeah, the original didn’t have the hidden lip. The lip was exposed on that one so nothing to catch the o-rings on.

Those 1.5s o-rings are just too big anyway, regardless of the lip. The afc is impossible to adjust on mine before I switched them out.

Some reviewers with the same issue and some have been able to adjust the afc with ease. I guess they must have got a dodgy batch of o-rings that were ever so slightly too big and we were the unlucky ones who got them.

Yeah, the original didn’t have the hidden lip. The lip was exposed on that one so nothing to catch the o-rings on.

Those 1.5s o-rings are just too big anyway, regardless of the lip. The afc is impossible to adjust on mine before I switched them out.

Some reviewers with the same issue and some have been able to adjust the afc with ease. I guess they must have got a dodgy batch of o-rings that were ever so slightly too big and we were the unlucky ones who got them.
So chances are it's not machining errors on mine. It's ridiculous o-rings.
Will hunt for thinner ones.
Or. Maybe see if I can get a set of 1.0.Bonza rings

Back
Top Bottom