What's new

About to indulge

shnazzle

Postman
I'm on the cusp of entering the mech market but have one question that I can't seem to find online.

Why does a battery being low in voltage output present a danger?

I understand that if the battery has a capacity of say 30A, and I run a 0.08 ohm coil (57amp at 4.2v), things are going to go horrendously wrong.

But, if the battery depletes to about 3.2v, why is that a bad thing?

I intend on running my usual 0.2-0.3ohm coil builds on a single high quality 18650 which should leave me plenty room for error

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will be along shortly, so don't entirely trust my patter,,,,

But, no heard that before. I know if you run the cell below 3V recharging it can be difficult and quite bad for the internal chemistry of the cell. If you run down very low, I suppose recharging a very depleted cell could be a tad iffy. I have on occasion ran a cell down to below 3V and the life expectancy was reduced a fair bit.

More be concerned about having your build within the operating parameters of the cell and making sure it has no shorts before popping it on the mech. Fire the coils on a regulated gadget first just to ba all ship shape.

Any concerns or worries, do please ask away on here!!!

^^^^ Everything @EmbraSewerRat said is absolutely right. :) With a Mech, you'll notice when your cell is getting depleted. BUT do pay attention to your build and do check your cell can handle it safely.

I think I'll get the mech, a fresh battery (might be beefier than 18650) and build my coils and then come back here to verify before I fire it up :)

I think I'll get the mech, a fresh battery (might be beefier than 18650) and build my coils and then come back here to verify before I fire it up :)

Oh, and one more wee thing, when you get the mech, before you set too and fire away, take a few moments to swab off ALL the threads and have a wee looksee at how the switch goes together, swab that off as well. A cotton bud and some alcohol hand gel works wonders! Also check for any wee burrs or bits of metal swarf, that could ruin your day.
Not only will you get the thing in tip top order, you'll see how it works and with the swabbing, you should get better performance. Once a week or so, check the threads and clean as necessary.

Oh, and one more wee thing, when you get the mech, before you set too and fire away, take a few moments to swab off ALL the threads and have a wee looksee at how the switch goes together, swab that off as well. A cotton bud and some alcohol hand gel works wonders! Also check for any wee burrs or bits of metal swarf, that could ruin your day.
Not only will you get the thing in tip top order, you'll see how it works and with the swabbing, you should get better performance. Once a week or so, check the threads and clean as necessary.
Good tip. Same thing id do with milled car parts so will deffo do the same

Out of curiosity, what mech you looking at?
And what atty?

No that I have a not too bad one in the classies of course....:D
It's between the Vandy Bonza (designed by our favourite Vaping Bogan) and a 2nd hand Suicide mod.

The Bonza is exactly the kind of device I was after. And single-battery so not too crazy. The Suicide is a bit too beefy for me I think.

As for atty, the Bonza comes with the Bonza 1.5 RDA which looks very decent. If not, probably just my Drop Dead for ease of build.

Single cells tubes are fine and dandy, if it's your first one, then aye, single cell is advised.

Later on if you want to go for a stacked, ask away!! You need heavier, denser coils and a good knowledge of Ohms Law. And asbestos underpants!!

Single cells tubes are fine and dandy, if it's your first one, then aye, single cell is advised.

Later on if you want to go for a stacked, ask away!! You need heavier, denser coils and a good knowledge of Ohms Law. And asbestos underpants!!
Funny you should say that.
I intend to never carry it in my pocket with a battery in it. Just paranoia perhaps but I like the lower appendage how it is.

So, battery in a case in one pocket and mech in the other.
The Bonza is really easy to open and slip a cell into so should be all good.

Back
Top Bottom