What's new

Reducing the sweetness of (pre-made) e-liquid

nathanstokes

Postman
So, I did a quick search before starting this thread and discovered that many moons ago someone had asked about how to reduce the sweetness of their 100% VG liquid. didn't want to start an uneccesary new thread so asked my question there (despite it being a 4+ year old thread) but then realised it was in the new user section, so maybe not going to be seen by most DIYers. Apologies for asking the question in two places, but I figure I've got a better shot of getting aadvice in this specific sub-forum.

I haven't started DIYing yet, but one of my major complaints against pre-made liquids is that they're too sweet, and was wondering if there was anything I could add that wouldn't necessarily add flavour, but would round out some of the overbearingly sweet liquids that are available? In the other thread, Flavour Art Bitter Wizard is suggested. Would BW (or anything else someone wants to suggest) achieve this, in tiny quantities, or add a distinct bitter flavour to the juice? (not looking for that either). I was thinking analogously to cooking tomato based pasta sauces where if it's a little too acidic, you add some brown sugar or dark chocolate, or if it's a little too sweet, you add some balsamic vinegar. In neither of those cases so you taste what's added, it just subtly alters the dominant flavours.

Am I on the right track here, or should I be looking at something else?

So, I did a quick search before starting this thread and discovered that many moons ago someone had asked about how to reduce the sweetness of their 100% VG liquid. didn't want to start an uneccesary new thread so asked my question there (despite it being a 4+ year old thread) but then realised it was in the new user section, so maybe not going to be seen by most DIYers. Apologies for asking the question in two places, but I figure I've got a better shot of getting aadvice in this specific sub-forum.

I haven't started DIYing yet, but one of my major complaints against pre-made liquids is that they're too sweet, and was wondering if there was anything I could add that wouldn't necessarily add flavour, but would round out some of the overbearingly sweet liquids that are available? In the other thread, Flavour Art Bitter Wizard is suggested. Would BW (or anything else someone wants to suggest) achieve this, in tiny quantities, or add a distinct bitter flavour to the juice? (not looking for that either). I was thinking analogously to cooking tomato based pasta sauces where if it's a little too acidic, you add some brown sugar or dark chocolate, or if it's a little too sweet, you add some balsamic vinegar. In neither of those cases so you taste what's added, it just subtly alters the dominant flavours.

Am I on the right track here, or should I be looking at something else?

Oh, and I should have added if it makes a difference, that I'm looking to mix this with fruit based flavours (although sometimes with a cream or yoghurt flavour in the mix), not bakeries. Looking at Flavour Art's website, they say that BW goes well with dark and tobacco flavours. Neither of which are my cuppa.

If you're talking making your own juice then dont add sweetners and try some of the VG brands till you find one thats not so sweet.
I dont like juice that's too sweet so for me its minerals water.

If you're talking about trying to reduce the sweetness of ready made juice then I'm not sure its possible other than diluting with a plain pg/vg base.

Commercial juice is so sweet because they pack it full of sweetener. Depending what fruity concentrates you're planning on buying you can easily make a lot of recipes that taste good without being unbearably sweet.

If you're talking making your own juice then dont add sweetners and try some of the VG brands till you find one thats not so sweet.
I dont like juice that's too sweet so for me its minerals water.

If you're talking about trying to reduce the sweetness of ready made juice then I'm not sure its possible other than diluting with a plain pg/vg base.

Thanks for your response. I was thinking about ready made juice to start with, as when I get going with trying to make my own liquid I won't add any sweeteners to start with and work from there. I'll buy some Bitter Wizard and some PG/VG for diluting, and give both methods a go and post back here what I find out.

Commercial juice is so sweet because they pack it full of sweetener. Depending what fruity concentrates you're planning on buying you can easily make a lot of recipes that taste good without being unbearably sweet.

Yeah, the sweetness is one of my main reasons for giving DIYing a try. The other two are obviously it saves money, and I think it'll be fun (if not a little frustrating) to try some things out. I've yet to find a pre-made liquid with apple flavour as part of the mix that doesn't taste like apple sweets. I'm looking for that crisp bite that a nice apple has.

Yeah, the sweetness is one of my main reasons for giving DIYing a try. The other two are obviously it saves money, and I think it'll be fun (if not a little frustrating) to try some things out. I've yet to find a pre-made liquid with apple flavour as part of the mix that doesn't taste like apple sweets. I'm looking for that crisp bite that a nice apple has.

1% FA Fuji
4% CAP Double Apple
1-1.5% FA Pear

Back
Top Bottom