What's new

Restrictive DL RTA with AFC

I have an Advken manta MTL (2 of them actually).

Not bad closed right down for MTL use, I like it full open for a nicely restricted DL though. Suits me at the mo.

If you want a restricted DTL RTA then the Pharaoh Mini is easily one of the best. Extremely good flavour, very easy to build, single coil and restrictive airflow. Has airflow control and juice flow control.

If you want a restricted DTL RTA then the Pharaoh Mini is easily one of the best. Extremely good flavour, very easy to build, single coil and restrictive airflow.

How restrictive is it @Mitz ? I’m never sure what it means. I’m puffing lung hits from the dvarw with the 1.2mm insert. This is what I think of as restrictive, as opposed to tight like the heron with one hole open. But I’m thinking this might be a good bit looser than that?

I’m just wondering if I’d like one, have been enjoying a looser puff now and again recently. Was thinking about getting another k5 but would need to get rid of some tanks first before getting any more.

I've been looking at the manta(the nitpicky points reviewers mention don't really bother me) also and hadn't even considered the pharoah(i do like the idea of another digiflavour tank). Not looking to snag anything right now, just fishing for inspiration on tanks for DTL, but restrictive enough to deliver a nice throat hit(whilst leaving me room to transition onto airier DTL builds if i want to later - without having to shop again). Does anyone here have a Dead Rabbt(or OBS) RTA to comment on what that's like with the AFC control closed down significantly? (they seem to review very favourably).

Looking at all the products out there it's quite overwhelming with the number of options, i find myself even eyeing up new mods (and there's no reason i even need another).

How restrictive is it @Mitz ? I’m never sure what it means. I’m puffing lung hits from the dvarw with the 1.2mm insert. This is what I think of as restrictive, as opposed to tight like the heron with one hole open. But I’m thinking this might be a good bit looser than that?

I’m just wondering if I’d like one, have been enjoying a looser puff now and again recently. Was thinking about getting another k5 but would need to get rid of some tanks first before getting any more.
I don't have a dvarw to compare it to. But it's about as restricted as you'll get for a DTL rta (as opposed to a mtl device being used dtl). It is to rtas what the recurve is to rdas.

I've been having a blast on a friends Freemax Mesh Pro today, and holy fudgicles... that's some serious flavour out of a mesh stock coil tank (0.2ohm @ 60W, even more at 80W - 90W), it gave me a better yard stick to know how i feel about vaping from a sub-ohm tank though(someting a bit more serious than the basic sub kits they use for sampling in the store). I did close down the air lots compartively to how he vaped it(mostly fully open) but it's helped me with knowing where i stand on airier tanks and whether they satisfy my tastes(enjoyed it with the air closed down mostly). Compared some juices in my Siren(he donated a few free samples), which i just rebuilt yesterday, so coil/wick is pretty fresh, with how they vaped on his setup, and there's some distinct differences in flavour but some obvious tradeoffs, like higher watts = so less battery time, juice guzzling, airier draw and less distinct throat hit. All things considered though, i'm thinking a sub-ohm RTA(no way i'm buying stock coil packs again, cost wise i can't justify it) with a build like that would suit me(though i'd probably go higher ohms so i can keep the watts down a bit), whilst keeping the Siren 2 on the side for my old MTL style vaping.

We went a bit mad and set off the smoke alarm(oops), didn't realise how much juice we got carried away chucking out, but it was a convenient experience to test something a bit more serious on the sub-ohm side of things, i definitely feel i'd like something sub-ohm to play around with it, even if i try to keep my usuage down(to save batteries and juice).

I have this in mind at the moment and i love GTA style tanks.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3042/10057416/9636334

I've been having a blast on a friends Freemax Mesh Pro today, and holy fudgicles... that's some serious flavour out of a mesh stock coil tank (0.2ohm @ 60W, even more at 80W - 90W), it gave me a better yard stick to know how i feel about vaping from a sub-ohm tank though(someting a bit more serious than the basic sub kits they use for sampling in the store). I did close down the air lots compartively to how he vaped it(mostly fully open) but it's helped me with knowing where i stand on airier tanks and whether they satisfy my tastes(enjoyed it with the air closed down mostly). Compared some juices in my Siren(he donated a few free samples), which i just rebuilt yesterday, so coil/wick is pretty fresh, with how they vaped on his setup, and there's some distinct differences in flavour but some obvious tradeoffs, like higher watts = so less battery time, juice guzzling, airier draw and less distinct throat hit. All things considered though, i'm thinking a sub-ohm RTA(no way i'm buying stock coil packs again, cost wise i can't justify it) with a build like that would suit me(though i'd probably go higher ohms so i can keep the watts down a bit), whilst keeping the Siren 2 on the side for my old MTL style vaping.

We went a bit mad and set off the smoke alarm(oops), didn't realise how much juice we got carried away chucking out, but it was a convenient experience to test something a bit more serious on the sub-ohm side of things, i definitely feel i'd like something sub-ohm to play around with it, even if i try to keep my usuage down(to save batteries and juice).

I have this in mind at the moment and i love GTA style tanks.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/3042/10057416/9636334
The Mesh Pro is not an airy tank by any stretch. If you love gta style tanks check out Advken CP 810 Edition RTA. Single coil but one of the best flavour rtas.

Last edited:
Not airy by any stretch? :( I felt like i was sucking flavoured air with it wide open(massive clouds of vapour aside).

I'll take a ganders at the Advken.

EDIT: Availability seems a bit of a pain, much like the Pharoah. Though it's kind of nuts that tanks stop getting stocked as fast they do over a short period, vape hardware seems to be a fast moving market. I have no plans to buy anything just yet, so i'm going to keep my options(shortlist of tanks to consider) as varied as i can, until the appropriate time comes to get another in.

Last edited:
Not airy by any stretch? :( I felt like i was sucking flavoured air with it wide open(massive clouds of vapour aside).

I'll take a ganders at the Advken.

EDIT: Availability seems a bit of a pain, much like the Pharoah. Though it's kind of nuts that tanks stop getting stocked as fast they do over a short period, vape hardware seems to be a fast moving market. I have no plans to buy anything just yet, so i'm going to keep my options(shortlist of tanks to consider) as varied as i can, until the appropriate time comes to get another in.
Unfortunately, the vape market is all about trying to sell the next best thing. By the time you unbox your current purchase the next newest and greatest edition has already been released. With the constant flood of new items there is little motivation for manufacturers to keep making older gear (funny how quickly something can become "old").

The Pharaoh mini was a very popular rta when it was released. I've just had a gander and the Advken CP is available from Fast Tech and the Pharaoh Mini is available from Gear Best. Alternatively, both are available on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom