What's new

Doggystyle filling tip

dpg

Initiate
I love my SXK Doggystyle RTAs but don't especially like the minor hassle of rooting around for a little blue screwdriver to jam in the airflow hole every time I need to fill them up. I may have found a solution:

I've been using spacers to fill in the little gap I get between RTAs and some of my mods and I discovered today that they can help out with getting the tank off. If you have one of these in place and tighten the Doggystyle against the mod a smidgen more than usual and then push it down slightly against the mod when unscrewing the tank then the base stays put while the tank unscrews.

I've only discovered this today so I haven't put it into practice much. But so far so good.

Thought I would share in case it helps anyone out. Your mileage may vary, of course.

The spacers I used are "Replacement PEI Heat Insulation Gasket for Atomizers", FastTech SKU 8204500, https://www.fasttech.com/p/8204500

I’ve been saying this for ages. You don’t even need the spacers, either. The dvarw opens with this technique as well.

But everyone here just ignores me, and continue with their little tank filling rituals.

I’ve been saying this for ages. You don’t even need the spacers, either. The dvarw opens with this technique as well.

I think it depends on how slippery the top of your mod is. Also on the relative length of the 510 pin and depth of the 510 socket. Some my mods have 510 sockets that are too shallow so the base of the RTA is 0.5mm or so above the upper surface of the mod - which is why I was using the spacer/washer/gasket in the first place. In this case the air gap means there is no grip at all. On other mods where the Doggystyle sits flush with the surface I have found that there still isn't enough grip to stop the RTA from unscrewing from the mod when trying to take off the tank. I found that these spacers increase the friction just enough to unscrew the tank. There are probably mods with rougher surfaces that allow Doggystyle or Dvarw RTAs to be opened without using this spacer trick.

It doesn’t need to grip the top of the mod though. It works because the tank thread is wider (and therefore a shallower gradient) than the 510 thread. It works even on mods with a gap.

I think it depends on how slippery the top of your mod is. Also on the relative length of the 510 pin and depth of the 510 socket. Some my mods have 510 sockets that are too shallow so the base of the RTA is 0.5mm or so above the upper surface of the mod - which is why I was using the spacer/washer/gasket in the first place. In this case the air gap means there is no grip at all. On other mods where the Doggystyle sits flush with the surface I have found that there still isn't enough grip to stop the RTA from unscrewing from the mod when trying to take off the tank. I found that these spacers increase the friction just enough to unscrew the tank. There are probably mods with rougher surfaces that allow Doggystyle or Dvarw RTAs to be opened without using this spacer trick.
That's what I found with my mods, which are flat polished metal on the top. No grip. :(

You don’t need to push much @Crewella . Imagine roughly the same amount of pressure as a stubborn bowel movement requires, and push down on the tank as hard as that.

You don’t need to push much @Crewella . Imagine roughly the same amount of pressure as a stubborn bowel movement requires, and push down on the tank as hard as that.
Stoppit ..... I don't need to imagine it, I have two sitting in front of me. Not opening. It ain't happening! :D

Back
Top Bottom