Vape Superstore
What's new

Yet another A vs. B thread - SOI Shorty or Broadside setups

nathanstokes

Postman
Hi guys.

So after a substantial amount of time of reading mooch posts on ECF and facebook, watching his new videos, watching beginner videos on mech mod safety from the Vaping Bogan, Vaping Biker, etc., I'd like to dip my toes into the mech mod world. My choices have come down to 2 (well 3 actually) options and they're very similar. My focus has been on safety primarily, followed by performance and aesthetics. So the three I'm looking at are:

A) the SOI Shorty (24mm, not X) and Competition RDA
B) the Broadside/Admiral and Culverin RDA
(looking to pick up either second hand, blems included)

and C) the Kennedy Vindicator 21700

I'll get my explanation of the Kennedy out of the way first, as it should be brief. The Kennedy comes last as it's hybrid only and I'd have to buy new (Custom Vapes has the SS in stock atm, and the black cerakoted copper on it's way). Although being hybrid only, in terms of early use confidence, it does get safety points back by being able to run the 35A Samsung 30T. If mechs aren't for me, then I'd probably be able to re-sell pretty easily, but would obviously take quite a loss.

The Shorty and Broadside setups appeal a bit more as they can both be run with their floating 510s to start (just to keep my confidence up starting out) and then as setups with the rdas later can be used in hybrid. The Broadside/Admiral gets extra points with the delrin liner (or the 18650 battery adapter in the Admiral's case). Again, I know this is no substitute for user safety and being fastidious in checking battery wraps, but it aids in keeping my early confidence up. Both mechs get good reviews in terms of performance and have a clutch switch, so I'm not worried about that, and further, I like the super clean aesthetics of the pairs (I'm not going to pretend this isn't a factor, even if it comes last).

I think what it's going to come down to is rda performance. The SOI comp rda sounds like it would be really airy, but I'm not going to assume that this is a negative, as my CSMNT is incredibly airy but has wonderful flavour with the right setup. From watching Ambitionz Vaper and Grimm Green's reviews, the airflow sounds a little more restricted (not a bad thing, just different) but they noted that the Culverin had really good flavour too.

So what I'm looking for is some help from people who have used either (or maybe even both) setups and their thoughts, especially about the rdas.

Thanks in advance, and have a great weekend.

Smoore
Kennedy kit is the finest kit you can buy for the money so I would buy that above the others as like you say you can get most of the money back if it's not for you [emoji4] I've used both the SOI and broadside and although the broadside is a nice tube I always preferred the SOI just feels better in the hand and looks better in my opinion

Thanks for taking the time to reply, @mattyk2010. I tried the Kennedy at Custom Vapes (Absy's SS one with his 25mm rda with a 0.15 ohm build) and it certainly is a great piece of kit. I guess I'm just trying to be a responsible vaper and focus on safety and confidence!

I don't suppose you used either of the rdas and have thoughts on those?

Vape Green
Thanks for taking the time to reply, @mattyk2010. I tried the Kennedy at Custom Vapes (Absy's SS one with his 25mm rda with a 0.15 ohm build) and it certainly is a great piece of kit. I guess I'm just trying to be a responsible vaper and focus on safety and confidence!

I don't suppose you used either of the rdas and have thoughts on those?
I've only tried the Culverin so I couldn't compare the 2 for you bud and in my opinion the Culverins shit and not worth the money flavour is alright but it's too restrictive for lower ohm builds that I like and any build I put in it if I over dripped I would have a mouth full of juice [emoji4]

I've only tried the Culverin so I couldn't compare the 2 for you bud and in my opinion the Culverins shit and not worth the money flavour is alright but it's too restrictive for lower ohm builds that I like and any build I put in it if I over dripped I would have a mouth full of juice [emoji4]

Thanks for the feedback. I'd be shooting for 0.17-9 builds on it which I'd consider pretty low ohm building (but maybe not for everyone) so might not be for me. I'll see if I can get some more feedback here (and the other forums I posted this to) before making my mind up, but yours is appreciated.

Innokin
Thanks for the feedback. I'd be shooting for 0.17-9 builds on it which I'd consider pretty low ohm building (but maybe not for everyone) so might not be for me. I'll see if I can get some more feedback here (and the other forums I posted this to) before making my mind up, but yours is appreciated.
You will probably have a better experience with the Culverin than me building that high to be honest mate, why don't you order a clone Culverin from China or khv and try it out before you commit to the full rrp? [emoji4]

You will probably have a better experience with the Culverin than me building that high to be honest mate, why don't you order a clone Culverin from China or khv and try it out before you commit to the full rrp? [emoji4]

I had thought about that, as knucklehead seems to be an easily available place for clones in the UK, but I'm weary of clones just from a safety standpoint. This being my first mech setup, I want the entirety of the safety precaution to fall on me, rather than worry about potential problems with a dodgy clone (although for a tube, I don't really know what there is to mess up). Definitely can't justify full RRP on a shorty or broadside setup if I could find one available in the UK, so thought trawling through the second hand market would be a nice compromise between the two. But if you've had good experiences with clones, I'd be happy to listen to that feedback too.

AcmeFog
I had thought about that, as knucklehead seems to be an easily available place for clones in the UK, but I'm weary of clones just from a safety standpoint. This being my first mech setup, I want the entirety of the safety precaution to fall on me, rather than worry about potential problems with a dodgy clone (although for a tube, I don't really know what there is to mess up). Definitely can't justify full RRP on a shorty or broadside setup if I could find one available in the UK, so thought trawling through the second hand market would be a nice compromise between the two. But if you've had good experiences with clones, I'd be happy to listen to that feedback too.
Mate a good clone mech can't go bang anymore than a genuine mod the only difference is the materials it's made out of won't be as strong, the broadside from khv is identical to the genuine I had so I would say for a first mech get a clone first, as for the RDA just test it on a regulated for a day to make sure it's fine then stick it on your mech and all will be good because any problems your regulated would pick it up first don't be too paranoid about mechs they are only dangerous if you get a problem you first didn't check on a regulated or push your battery's way too hard which I'm sure you won't [emoji4]

Mate a good clone mech can't go bang anymore than a genuine mod the only difference is the materials it's made out of won't be as strong, the broadside from khv is identical to the genuine I had so I would say for a first mech get a clone first, as for the RDA just test it on a regulated for a day to make sure it's fine then stick it on your mech and all will be good because any problems your regulated would pick it up first don't be too paranoid about mechs they are only dangerous if you get a problem you first didn't check on a regulated or push your battery's way too hard which I'm sure you won't [emoji4]

Well, that's what I assumed, but I have read a few threads saying that hot button problems were more prevalent in clones, but again, assuming that this wouldn't be an issue with clutch style buttons. Think I might give this route a go, and then if I decide to get an authentic I can always "pay it forward" to someone else looking to try out mechs. Does PoTV have something like that, as I saw it on ECF, iirc.

Elux
Back
Top Bottom