What's new

Super springy ss316 26awg

bolter2

Postman
Hi all,

Just a quick one really. I'm wanted a go at building a coil on the rba deck for my original uwell crown, nice and easy, single coil, just testing the waters as such.

After using Steam Engine, I know I wanted to use 26awg ss316, 3mm inner diameter, 7 wraps should come out at approx 0.5ohm. great, that exactly what I want.

I buy some wire from my local, watched a tonne of videos over the years and from past experience I expected the wicking to be the hard part . Well, I can't even wrap the thing! It's so hard to work with and is so so springy!!

I get my wraps, it looks good, but as soon as I let go they all unravel and become loose. Leaving me with a shit looking spring.

I can't find anything about this! And videos I've watched using the same 26 awg ss316 makes the wire look super easy to work with, no spring.

Would a coil master kit help this? Just wondering if this is normal of this wire?

Thanks all

Hi all,

Just a quick one really. I'm wanted a go at building a coil on the rba deck for my original uwell crown, nice and easy, single coil, just testing the waters as such.

After using Steam Engine, I know I wanted to use 26awg ss316, 3mm inner diameter, 7 wraps should come out at approx 0.5ohm. great, that exactly what I want.

I buy some wire from my local, watched a tonne of videos over the years and from past experience I expected the wicking to be the hard part . Well, I can't even wrap the thing! It's so hard to work with and is so so springy!!

I get my wraps, it looks good, but as soon as I let go they all unravel and become loose. Leaving me with a shit looking spring.

I can't find anything about this! And videos I've watched using the same 26 awg ss316 makes the wire look super easy to work with, no spring.

Would a coil master kit help this? Just wondering if this is normal of this wire?

Thanks all
That seems strange, I always found SS more malleable. He hasn't sold you titanium has he?

You could try running a lighter along just to the point where it begins to glow, that will anneal it - take out some of the springyness

That seems strange, I always found SS more malleable. He hasn't sold you titanium has he?

You could try running a lighter along just to the point where it begins to glow, that will anneal it - take out some of the springyness

The guy in the shop is pretty savvy, and all the labelling indicates ss316.

I tried gently heating a strip of it, it improved slightly but maybe I need to hear some more.

It's just nothing like I see on the hundreds of YouTube videos, from all I'd seen I thought this would be the easy part but it's bloody impossible with this stuff haha

Have you tried wrapping it around a 2.5 ID so when it springs back a bit it's closer to 3? [emoji6]

It is strange, mine always holds it shape when i wrap it, any type I’ve had from various different sources.

Have you tried wrapping it around a 2.5 ID so when it springs back a bit it's closer to 3? [emoji6]
I see what your saying, but I don't think it will help, it springs in all directions. It doesn't hold its shape at all.

I think I may try some wire from else where... Any recommendations for 26awg ss316? If someone's used before and knows it's good and workable it will be worth a shot. Thanks all

I see what your saying, but I don't think it will help, it springs in all directions. It doesn't hold its shape at all.

I think I may try some wire from else where... Any recommendations for 26awg ss316? If someone's used before and knows it's good and workable it will be worth a shot. Thanks all
Only 1 place to shop stealthvape [emoji4]

These days I always use the crazy wire company, the last couple of times purely because stealthvape were it of stock of some stuff I was after. The crazy wire stuff has always been good imo but I know some others seem to dislike them.

Never had an issue with SS from 24 to 30awg. Always been an easy wire to coil on a jig or round a drill bit. Other than annealing it with a lighter/mini blow torch, can't offer any other advice.

26awg SS wire is normally not springy at all. Maybe the wrong label ended up on the spool by accident? Can you try making a coil and stick it in an atty to measure resistance? (no matter what it looks like, as long as the wire length matches what you intended to build) If resistance is far off from what you calculated, it's probably not the right wire.

Back
Top Bottom