What's new

Work meeting about smoking policy/ vaping

Christ, maybe the unions are as bad as my gran says they are after all!
As an ex activist I can honestly say that a lot of reps I've encountered are self serving twats. If it doesn't affect them or their cronies, they often ain't interested.

It's time the government and HSE waded in and made clearly defined rules regarding smoking and vaping. No more being open to interpretation by small minded fuktards.

As an ex activist I can honestly say that a lot of reps I've encountered are self serving twats. If it doesn't affect them or their cronies, they often ain't interested.

I actually stopped paying the union dues a few years ago after I was subject to a tupe transfer, and the rep was so bad that I was continually correcting the bad information and advice she was giving us. Not even just a waste of time and money, worse, because if we’d have followed her advice we’d have been shafted.

It's time the government and HSE waded in and made clearly defined rules regarding smoking and vaping. No more being open to interpretation by small minded fuktards.

This, exactly.

HSE won’t touch it, it’s not currently within their remit. Also they are notoriously vague, they never make a “rule” if they can avoid it, which is why all their documents are COPs or guidance docs.
For example, many people think the HSE specify 25kg as the maximum lift for Manual Handling, and this used to be the case. But someone at HSE HQ realised that if someone did their back lifting less than 25kg, HSE could be liable, so now the official line is “within the capabilities of the individual”, although there is a leverage chart that recommends 20kg it’s not binding.

I am a Union hns rep, doing it as the union provided me with training the company wouldn't as the teams roes. My union needed someone extra for this meeting as it's unite or Gmb mainly in the meetings, I wanted to take stuff to the first meeting. As someone who vapes the smoking policy is of interest to me.

http://www.smokefreeengland.co.uk/what-do-i-do/quick-guide/

maximum penalty of £2500 to the person who manages / controls the area which does not comply with the Smoke Free legislation. A fixed penalty notice is not appropriate in this situation.

Twist it on its head.

As a non smoker you are entitled to be in a non smoking working environment.
By being directed to vape in an area where smoking is taking place they are technically flouting the smoking ban regulations.

Vape in the area you are directed to and report the company for not adhering to the smoking ban.

maximum penalty of £2500 to the person who manages / controls the area which does not comply with the Smoke Free legislation. A fixed penalty notice is not appropriate in this situation.

Twist it on its head.

By being directed to vape in an area where smoking is taking place they are technically flouting the smoking ban regulations.

Vape in the area you are directed to and report the company for not adhering to the smoking ban.

I’m not sure that would stick, it’s your choice to vape, after all.

Twist it on its head.

That's pretty much what the last para of the HSE FAQs page says:

If an employer decides to 'prohibit' the use of e-cigarettes in the workplace but allow for ‘vaping’ breaks or provide areas where employees can use e-cigarettes, the employer needs to ensure that those who use e-cigarettes are not put at risk of harm from second-hand tobacco smoke.

Back
Top Bottom