What's new

Dotmod squonker firing on its own

Dozwold

Postman
just had another scare with a mech. Different mech from last time and different scare. This one was without me doing anything reckless..

Pbasically, out the blue, heard a hissing sound from the side of my bed and took few a few seconds to realise my dotsquonker was simply firing on its own full on. I immediately ran to the mod and threw the battery out onto the grass as quickly as possible. Upon inspection of the mod the button was not actually stuck in by itself or anything like that. It was pushing in and out fine. I took the rda off (a Recurve) stuck it onto a regulated to see if it was that and no problems. Tried a second battery in the dotsquonk and again a few second in, it was firing off without pressing the button so took that battery out too pronto. Checked the springs near the button on the dotsquonk and all felt normal. Hey, I even cleaned this mod a few days ago as I do every couple of weeks. I dread to think what could have happened if I was not around to hear the hissing. I mean the mod wasn’t used for a couple of hours before. How can a manufacturer let something like this on let alone stay on the market? Supposed to be solid engineering from Dotmod. P.s had no problems with it for over 6 months use. I love my mech squonker but now paranoid. Perhaps other makes have even better more reliable mechanism. I simply don’t get the same vape, even from the new Recurve (semi) mech squonker with a 35T battery than on that dotsquonk which was fantastic (until today). It’s not the money for me, it being nervous now... Wtf jus happened, I mean it really was on its own.

Don't leave a mech with a battery in it and an atty on top ... seriously, that's just asking for trouble imo.

That aside, if the button isn't making contact then something else is making contact when it shouldn't be.... take it apart and inspect it properly tomorrow.

Don't leave a mech with a battery in it and an atty on top ... seriously, that's just asking for trouble imo.

That aside, if the button isn't making contact then something else is making contact when it shouldn't be.... take it apart and inspect it properly tomorrow.

Ok, rather than mess with internals, I noticed Dotmod have a ‘lifetime limited warranty’ (for whatever that’s worth) so going to take it into the store I bought it from and see what they say. Knowing my luck it won’t fire itself when I show it in the store.. Still, pretty shocked about it all, obviously something is connecting but it has such a hard mech button, you would have though this mech would be better made, and yes heard about keeping batteries out but that’s ruins the convenience of taking a puff every so often as needed.

Ok, rather than mess with internals, I noticed Dotmod have a ‘lifetime limited warranty’ (for whatever that’s worth) so going to take it into the store I bought it from and see what they say. Knowing my luck it won’t fire itself when I show it in the store.. Still, pretty shocked about it all, obviously something is connecting but it has such a hard mech button, you would have though this mech would be better made, and yes heard about keeping batteries out but that’s ruins the convenience of taking a puff every so often as needed.
I think dotmod are pretty good with guarantees from what I've seen over the years on here.
I'm off to look at the internals online to see if it's full mech.

I think dotmod are pretty good with guarantees from what I've seen over the years on here.
I'm off to look at the internals online to see if it's full mech.

dotsquonk.JPG

Looks a straightforward circuit that can only be made by pressing in the button to make contact. So either the spring throw has weakened and it's making contact or something has fallen in between the 510 and button.
This.
This is why mechs can be a nightmare. As Simon g said never ever leave a cell inside a mechanism mod of any kind unattended.
If your a mech squonk fan I'd urge you to look at the Athena or similar with a hard safety switch.

Oh that's just unpleasant isn't it.
Being that the body is also I guess metal there's a possibility of poor insulation somewhere.
I hate mech squonkers. Terrifying.

yeah, it's ally ....

lol, me too, I hate mechs full stop these days to be honest. There's just no point to me, too many downsides and not enough benefits.

yeah, it's ally ....

lol, me too, I hate mechs full stop these days to be honest. There's just no point to me, too many downsides and not enough benefits.
Yeah I'm always tempted by the size and aesthetics but just at the point of pirchase I remember I'm a clumsy twat.

Check battery wraps to ensure it's not shorting with the shell of the box mod

Back
Top Bottom