What's new

A sensible (small) study reported with sensationalism?

Yeah, just read that and whilst I was happy to try and read the detail of the study in the medical Journal "Thorax" I was, as usual, upset by the BBC article's headline and opening words.

_102954980_vaping_gettyimages-472391596.jpg

E-cigarettes 'more harmful than we think'
E-cigarette vapour disables important immune cells in the lung and boosts inflammation.

No use of a question mark. It totally reads like a statement of fact. The vaping nay-sayers will definitely latch onto this kind of journalism and say "There you go FACT. Vaping more harmful than you think"

Sadly it's gained a bit of traction this morning it's also present in the telegraph and the daily mail.

The guy they quote in the article, Martin Dockrell, has just been on BBC Breakfast and literally the first thing out of his mouth was "we've known about this research for TWO YEARS" so they are clearly just raking up old news. He also repeated his quote of "Any smoker considering e-cigarettes should switch completely without delay."

I don't think Dan and Louise were expecting him to be pro-vaping actually, they seemed quite surprised by what he was saying.

The guy they quote in the article, Martin Dockrell, has just been on BBC Breakfast and literally the first thing out of his mouth was "we've known about this research for TWO YEARS" so they are clearly just raking up old news. He also repeated his quote of "Any smoker considering e-cigarettes should switch completely without delay."

I don't think Dan and Louise were expecting him to be pro-vaping actually, they seemed quite surprised by what he was saying.

This is exactly what I came back to say. Pretty well presented by the guy.

Old study. Pretty well disputed by newer studies that have been done, even in the US where they seem to hate vaping even more than here. Stand by the RCS report that says at least 95% safer.

The moment I read the line " as opposed to cigarette vapour" it got filed in the usual bin. And I'll be taking no further interest in it.

I don't understand why so many of us want to dismiss anything that suggests that vaping can have a negative effect. Yes Vaping is 95% safer than cigarettes we all know this.

We all know that smokers should switch to vaping - but that's not because vaping is 100% safe, it's because it reduces the risk of potential harm. I welcome anything that helps to inform me in a reasonable way of what the potential harm may be, so that I can make informed choices!

I actually also welcome news coverage that actually links the the scientific paper - all of the data is there to be seen and scrutinised. The problem is that the media know that fear sells - so they take a rational and reasonable piece of research and insist on inventing a sexy / scary headline for it!

The scientists involved are not saying 'vaping is bad' or ' quit vaping' - They are simply saying 'we've done a small study and noticed something, this could do with being looked into more - but still switch to vaping if you smoke'. Surely that's exactly the sort of thing people should want to see happening?

PS - I can't see a date for when the study was carried out, but the paper was originally submitted for review in Feb 2018.

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many of us want to dismiss anything that suggests that vaping can have a negative effect. Yes Vaping is 95% safer than cigarettes we all know this.

We all know that smokers should switch to vaping - but that's not because vaping is 100% safe, it's because it reduces the risk of potential harm. I welcome anything that helps to inform me in a reasonable way of what the potential harm may be, so that I can make informed choices!

I actually also welcome news coverage that actually links the the scientific paper - all of the data is there to be seen and scrutinised. The problem is that the media know that fear sells - so they take a rational and reasonable piece of research and insist on inventing a sexy / scary headline for it!

The scientists involved are not saying 'vaping is bad' or ' quit vaping' - They are simply saying 'we've done a small study and noticed something, this could do with being looked into more - but still switch to vaping if you smoke'. Surely that's exactly the sort of thing papers should want to see happening?

PS - I can't see a date for when the study was carried out, but the paper was originally submitted for review in Feb 2018.
I don't think the complaints here are about the research itself, but about the sensationalist reporting of it. You nailed it in the third paragraph.

*Puts fingers in ears and goes to make bacon*

I’m so bored of the BBC. I remember when they used to do news, but it’s now only done with any semblance of professionalism on Channel 4. Sensationalist bullshit and propaganda is all it does now.

*Puts fingers in ears and goes to make bacon*

I’m so bored of the BBC. I remember when they used to do news, but it’s now only done with any semblance of professionalism on Channel 4. Sensationalist bullshit and propaganda is all it does now.

Couldn't agree more. Apart from local radio I have long since ditched the BBC.

Back
Top Bottom