What's new

Do you wash new bottles?

Bottles are often sterilised using UV if they're intended to be food safe. I looked into this for goldilocks bottles but UV isn't great for silicone hence the autoclave.

I wash all my bottles..also I have noticed since I ventured into the world of diy mixing I throw no bottle of any shape or form away..reuse and recycle

Presumably that was a blow moulding process.
If that was the case then the grease that you mentioned would probably have been a silicon mould release agent.
In any case it would have to be a food grade lubricant if the bottles were intended to be used for food, or drink containers.
This would only have been left on the outside of the bottles I assume for a blow moulding process.

The same thing happens in the manufacture of paper cups for Starbucks, and the like.
(Yes, I have worked in those factories as well)
The cups are left covered in a fine layer of oil (so fine that you would not notice.
Again it is food grade lubricant, that you could drink if you were so inclined.
Yes correct it will be food grade, I'm not saying you should wash new bottles for health reasons I'm saying you should wash them to avoid ruining flavour.
I would say most residue is gathered whilst moulded into a preform before it even reaches
the blowing machines.
I would of often used a freshly made bottle for water to drink and if I didn't clean it the taste of residue left on the plastic was really bad even giving the bottle a quick rinse wouldn't get rid of it completely.

Yes correct it will be food grade, I'm not saying you should wash new bottles for health reasons I'm saying you should wash them to avoid ruining flavour.
I would say most residue is gathered whilst moulded into a preform before it even reaches
the blowing machines.
I would of often used a freshly made bottle for water to drink and if I didn't clean it the taste of residue left on the plastic was really bad even giving the bottle a quick rinse wouldn't get rid of it completely.
Can you confirm that there should be no risk of loose plastic residue inside the bottles? Thanks.

I bet there’s someone out there that gives them a whirl in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I give mine a quick rinse when I get them. Mainly because the first lot I bought were all covered in a fine layer of dust. Dunno if it was leftover from the manufacturing process or whether it was just because they had been sat on the shelf for a while, but they came without lids so I didn't really fancy vaping it.

If someone is feeling lazy I’ll trade my washed empty ones for unwashed full ones

I bet there’s someone out there that gives them a whirl in an ultrasonic cleaner

:2thumbsup: that would be me, mostly to show the missus that the vape paraphernalia is money well spent :) usually with rdas and other bits in there too though

Back
Top Bottom