What's new

Do you wash new bottles?

I was a fitter in a plastics factory years ago which made bottles and I can tell you for a fact that the bottles are not cleaned before leaving the factory and there is a residue left on them from the whole manufacturing process. The moulds themselves are always heavily greased before each use.
Whatever company purchases the bottles would have to clean them, if they where not cleaned you would know straight away.
I would definitely recommend cleaning.

Presumably that was a blow moulding process.
If that was the case then the grease that you mentioned would probably have been a silicon mould release agent.
In any case it would have to be a food grade lubricant if the bottles were intended to be used for food, or drink containers.
This would only have been left on the outside of the bottles I assume for a blow moulding process.

The same thing happens in the manufacture of paper cups for Starbucks, and the like.
(Yes, I have worked in those factories as well)
The cups are left covered in a fine layer of oil (so fine that you would not notice.
Again it is food grade lubricant, that you could drink if you were so inclined.

Damn, when I saw this thread had 75 replies I assumed it had turned into another one of "those" threads. That was a waste of popcorn.

I'm not worried about sterility, but, @Badboybez, in your experience, could there be any chemical contamination from the manufacturing process?

Well any bottles you will buy are made from LDPE (low density polyethylene) or PET.
PET are the totally clear, hard to squeeze ones, LDPE are the easier to squeeze ones that look a sort of milky colour.
They only look a milky colour because of the thickness, when as thin as a polythene bag LDPE is totally clear.
There are food grade colourants available, but as the name suggests they should not be harmful, and obviously the bottles you use for ejuice are not coloured.
Plastic bags are a different story, I would imagine that most colourants now are "safe" in the old days however that was not the case, black was derived from carbon black, and white contained titanium.

Hope that helps.

Technically not true. The point of evacuation has some bacteria like the rest of the skin on the body, which do feck-all harm. Urine can only be called sterile while it's still in the bladder or kidneys. Urine extracted via catheter can be considered sterile.

Ooh, I had a catheter last time I was in hospital, maybe I should have kept the contents for cleaning purposes.
There would have been quite a bit after 6 weeks................

Can't be arsed to read anymore of this thread. The main reason I wash my bottles, attys etc. isn't to make them sterile, it's to remove anything that might taint the flavour of my e liquid.

Interesting that’s what you took from the thread @abujeee since it looks like @Simon G , who asked the question and was washing the bottles, is going to stop doing it.

Back
Top Bottom