What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Hastur Mini Review by Anthony Vapes

cthulhumod

Postman
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Cthulhu Hastur MTL RTA Mini. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links

Introduction:
The Hastur MTL RTA Mini is the latest RTA from somewhat known manufacturer Cthulhu. I’ve been pretty hit and miss with their products. They’ve made some great atomizers like the azathoth RDA which i loved and the Hastur MTL RTA which isn’t my style but is a great RTA for MTL and came out when there wasn’t many good affordable ones on the market, but also had some stinkers like the M RDA and most recently the Zathog RDA. The Hastur Mini RTA is a MTL RTA and a follow up smaller version of the original Hastur RTA.It’s a standard 2 ml capacity RTA with regular glass and frosted glass tanks included. It’s available in 2 colors Black and SS and listed at 31.99 on their site so a good price point.

Manufacturer's Specs
  • Hastur MTL RTA mini is designed for mouth to lung vaping.
  • Classic and simple design by Brian N(CA,USA).
  • 3 air holes on air flow control ring are optional (Dia. 0.8mm, 1.2mm, 1.4mm)
  • Smaller chamber for better flavor
  • Easy refilling system.
  • Two small air holes on building deck to improve flavor. (max airflow equal to 1.4mm hole)
  • Two 510 drip tips(steel tip: Dia. 2mm; Delrin tip: Dia. 1.7mm)
  • New batch comes with 3mm air hole steel drip tip(order after July-1-2018). please don't order the drip tip.
  • Access to the build deck without draining the tank.
  • Food grade 304 stainless steel.
  • 2ml capacity.
  • WIDTH: 22 mm / 0.86 in
  • HEIGHT: 30 mm / 1.18 in (without drip tip)
  • Available in Silver and Black
Included in box:
  • 1 x Hastur MTL RTA mini
  • 1 x steel tip
  • 1 x delrin tip
  • 1 x spare bag
  • 1 x frosted glass
Pictures Album:
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this RTA I was pretty surprised, I expected it to be a smaller version of the hastur MTL RTA hence the name but it’s really like a whole different design. New deck, less airflow options, no replaceable air holes inside. They went with a very simple minimalist design which i kind of like. Just keep it short and simple as they say. One thing that really stood out was the inclusion of a really tall drip tip as well made of metal. Not a big fan of that personally so i mostly used the standard one but i had flashbacks to my old omega RDA. Either way though i liked the design and loved that they kept the same fill method which is really great using the pop off switchblade like system.

Build Deck and Wicking (pics above)
Let’s talk about the build deck now. It’s a pretty simple build deck to build and and quite easy but won't say i’m personally a fan. I don’t like using the heads of screws as the system that locks the lead into place as this does. Feels old and outdated and something i haven’t seen really in years. I would have preferred something more up to date but personal preference aside, it does work well especially since it’s made for small round wire builds only being MTL. there are 2 posts 1 on each side so leads go in opposite directions and you just have to unscrew the screws a little and slide the leads under the screw heads then tighten down. There is plenty of room as well as i fit a 3mm ID coil with room to spare and not much reason to go bigger with a MTL RTA. then just clip off the excess leads and done. The post screws are phillips head which again preference wise i don’t like, but are good quality and work well so objectively no complaints there. Overall it’s a basic and easy to build deck that works well, just not my preference.

Wicking on this one is super easy. It wicks very well and is a raised GTA style deck and there are 2 holes on the side. Just drop your cotton through the holes to the bottom and you are good to go. No tips or tricks really needed. It wicks very efficiently so don’t need to think out your wicks really at all.

Performance
Performance wise, I used it as a single coil RTA only. It’s a MTL RDA so not much you can do with builds so I ran only 3 builds in this. All 3 pictured above. One was a spaced 24G SS coil 3mm ID 4 Wraps, one was a 28G SS316 2.5mm ID spaced build 8 wraps, and one was a tiny quad core fused clapton build 3 wraps spaced 3mm ID. The clapton build was not surprisingly too much mass for this RTA. The other 2 builds however vaped great. Personally I like the thicker gauge spaced builds less wraps for MTL RTAs like this but both performed with good flavor for MTL vaping. It’s best used at 20 watts or less because not a lot of air. The Draw will make many MTL enthusiasts quite happy, fully open is still tighter then most “loose MTL vapes” while the smallest air hole is a really tight MTL vape and the medium is still pretty tight as well. Overall it gives good flavor for a MTL RTA at such low watts

Overall Impressions, Details, and Extras
It’s a bottom airflow RTA with 3 tiny holes all on one side that you can adjust from the outside like many RTAs. The AFC is nice and smooth and on a stopper. All the way to 1 side is the smallest hole, all the way to the other side is the largest hole and in the middle is a medium hole and the full to each side lines up perfect which is nice. It does lack knurling for grip however and i found it tough to adjust on mod, but off mod it’s very easy to adjust. While the OG Hastur had inserts to change air at the coil, this one does not. It just has 2 small holes on the inside under the coil. They do sell an optional post with 1 larger air hole however I did not receive one to judge it. The air is nice and smooth, no whistle or loudness on any air setting either.

It has the same top fill as the OG Hastur where it switchblades into the the top. Essentially there are 2 notches on the fill hole portion and you just twist the cape when they line up it pops open to expose the 2 large fill holes that can be filled with any type of bottle but i wouldn’t do a pour it in. The top cap has a square section that tip goes into for easy grip to pop it on and off. To put it back on just line up the notches and push down and twist a quarter of a turn and it locks in. I really love this top fill design. All the threading is really nice on this RTA and it’s easy to take apart and put together. Really nice quality.

There is also a good amount of accessories that come with it, It comes with 2 standard 510 drip tips, a regular delrin one and a tall skinny metal one. Thy also note that the newer stock ones will include another drip tip but mine didn’t so can’t confirm. It comes with a standard 2ml tank and a frosted glass 2ml tank. I love the look of the frosted glass tank personally and chose to use that all the time. Plenty of extra o-rings and 2 spare post screws as well and a screwdriver. Would have been nice if they threw in a coil or 2 and some cotton but not a big deal.

The quality on the Cthulhu Hastur MTL RTA Mini is excellent. All the threading is really nice and smooth. It’s a 22mm diameter RTA with nothing that bulges out. It’s also one of the shorter RTAs as well. Shorter then the galaxies and savour MTL RTAs i’ve reviewed recently. If you are looking for a really small one, this is it. The 2ml capacity is good for a MTL RTA. There is no JFC and it doesn't need one. I had no leaking or flooding issues and it handled chain vaping pretty good as well. Branding is nice and simple. Nothing on the outside and just the cthulhu logo on the chamber inside the glass on one side. It’s a classy and simple looking RTA.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • 2 Standard 510 tips included
  • good quality post screws
  • price point (under 32 bucks)
  • large fill holes
  • great threading
  • nice easy to build and wick deck
  • nice frosted spare glass included
  • plenty of spare accessories
  • good flavor for a MTL RTA
  • nice smooth AFC
  • no whistle or loud air on any setting
  • love the top fill design
  • really short and small
Cons:
  • 2ml capacity could be better, wouldn’t have minded a bubble glass
  • not a fan of phillips head screws personally
  • less air options then the original Hastur
  • lack of color options
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this RTA?I don’t like to do a hard yes or no, this one is going to lean heavy towards the yes. I had to be pretty picky with my cons and they were all personal preference really and not anything wrong with the RTA itself. What we have is an affordable and small MTL RTA that’s easy to build, has good flavor, easy to wick, and really does a tight MTL which is something many MTL vapers have been asking for. I’ll be adding this to my sheet

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

Product can be purchased direct from cthulhu here: Hastur MTL RTA Mini,hastur mini

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Cthulhu Mod

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Back
Top Bottom