What's new

BBC News: Up in smoke: Is the vape shop boom about to end?

Yeah, seems accurate. Actually quite refreshing to see an article about vaping that isn't concentrating on health.

B&M's were always going to hit a ceiling and I'm not surprised the B&M market is completely saturated. I work in a small town, and there's 4 vaping shops within walking distance of my place of work. I also live on the outskirts of a larger town and there's upwards of 7 vaping shops within a 10 minute driving radius. I would expect online to own the lion's share of the market too, so I've honestly no idea how a lot of vaping shops are even still in business these days. Can't be making that much money from selling coils, a bit of e-liquid to regular customers and the occasional setup to a newbie? Every time I've visited any of my local B&M's they've been completely dead.

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Up in smoke: Is the vape shop boom about to end? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43965382

I think the vaping industry, certainly the juice sector, is in a race to the bottom. I am seeing quality short fills falling in price on a monthly basis. A decent 100ml shortfill is now as little as £8.50, I reckon they will bottom out at around £5. I used to get a lot of 88 Vape juice because at £4.99 for 3x10ml was cheap, now it is expensive. Last night I bought off a vendor that I haven't used in a while as they had a special on. I used to consider this vendor to be in the budget end of the market, now their 50ml shortfills are bloody expensive at £9.99. In the end it'll be the consumer that loses.

"E-cigarettes have a small chamber which is filled with a water-based liquid."???? - BBC
"A vaping store where there are plumes of smoke rolling out of the door doesn't appeal to the mass vaper."???? - Fraser Cropper @ TW!!
Oh, and TW can fucking do one!

Although broadly agree with the economic arguments raised in the body of the text!

When I was a kid the old tobacconist shops were a common sight, but newsagents and super markets soon decimated their trade. As has already been pointed out in other threads Asda are starting to get more involved with vaping, it won't be long before the others take note and get more involved, this will be the death of many a high street b&m.

When I was a kid the old tobacconist shops were a common sight, but newsagents and super markets soon decimated their trade. As has already been pointed out in other threads Asda are starting to get more involved with vaping, it won't be long before the others take note and get more involved, this will be the death of many a high street b&m.

It'll be the internet that kills it. Asda are bloody expensive. 3x10ml of Dinner Lady for £9!!!! I know Dinner Lady are good, but they aren't that good. I get get 120ml of very similar juice for £8.50 (£10 if I add nic). Like I said the Juice market is in a freefall race to the bottom.

120ml for £10 not bad .. but i'll still mix my own till it comes down to around £6

Yeah, seems accurate. Actually quite refreshing to see an article about vaping that isn't concentrating on health.

B&M's were always going to hit a ceiling and I'm not surprised the B&M market is completely saturated. I work in a small town, and there's 4 vaping shops within walking distance of my place of work. I also live on the outskirts of a larger town and there's upwards of 7 vaping shops within a 10 minute driving radius. I would expect online to own the lion's share of the market too, so I've honestly no idea how a lot of vaping shops are even still in business these days. Can't be making that much money from selling coils, a bit of e-liquid to regular customers and the occasional setup to a newbie? Every time I've visited any of my local B&M's they've been completely dead.
It’s consolidation time, just like the TPD did to the juice business.

There’s simply far too many B&Ms for the market to sustain, and a wedge of them appreciate nothing about how to run a good business.

One bloke I visited for the article I wrote about it clearly hated people, the public and potential shoppers. We got on well. But there he was, locked into a lease agreement on a property he couldn’t afford with kit he can’t sell and no clue what to do about it. Lying about atomisers was his chosen route - I’m really not sure that’s a strategy that will pan out in the long term.

It’s consolidation time, just like the TPD did to the juice business.

There’s simply far too many B&Ms for the market to sustain, and a wedge of them appreciate nothing about how to run a good business.

One bloke I visited for the article I wrote about it clearly hated people, the public and potential shoppers. We got on well. But there he was, locked into a lease agreement on a property he couldn’t afford with kit he can’t sell and no clue what to do about it. Lying about atomisers was his chosen route - I’m really not sure that’s a strategy that will pan out in the long term.

It sounds similar to Truro. In Truro there are two chain B&Ms opposite each other. Both are appalling. The staff are obviously minimum wagers that have no clue about vaping. They know what they like and that is about it. They never have anything you want in stock and they always try and sell you something that you don't want or need. There is a 3rd B&M about half a mile away that is ran by a long term vaper, carries a good range of stock, prices aren't bad for a B&M and has great customer service. It is only a small shop too. It is opposite a civic open space and I often stop there to eat a Pasty. You can watch this shop and there is always a steady trickle of people coming and going. The other two always seem to be totally empty. I would say that Truro probably has enough business to sustain the one good vape shop.

I would dearly love to work in a vape shop. I am even slowly making plans to start my own, I just need a spare £100k.:D

Back
Top Bottom