What's new

Review Wismec Luxotic BF Box Kit

Simon G

Olympian
This kit was kindly sent to me for the purpose of this review by @Healthcabin ... thanks Maggie.

I'm loathed to put this review in the 'mechanical mod reviews' section because it isn't a mechanical mod, it isn't however a VV/VW mod so it has to go here I guess ... what we have here is a 'bypass' mod (operates similar to any regulated mod in bypass mode) that has many of the protections a regulated mod has, such as short circuit protection (the mod will refuse to fire) reverse battery protection and a five clicks on and off.... none of these protections are highlighted in the manual, and the very brief 'information' section in English only tells you about the on/off. I find that a bit strange and definitely a negative for me. Why add safety features and then not put those either in the manual or on the back of the box?

Right lets take a look at the box itself and what you get in it ....

box1.jpg

Included in the kit is the Luxotic BF mod, a Tobhino RDA, spare bottle, cotton and a couple of clapton coils that are 0.18 ohms in resistance, an 810 top cap to change for the fitted 510, spare o-rings and screws. Everything you would expect and some nice touches like the cotton that aren't always supplied with kits like this. So a big positive there, other than a battery and some liquid you get everything you need to get going.

box2.jpg

The mod is a very nice looking and feeling bit of kit and thankfully a really nice size too, it's almost exactly the same size as my Epetite which is what I judge everything against, it's actually a hair smaller which considering this isn't a mech and it has to accommodate a squonk bottle is a massive achievement in compact design.. another huge plus for me there.

Some people might have preferred a slightly larger mod that can use a 21700 cell and I can see why they would especially if you are using the RDA and coils provided but for me and how I vape I'm glad they didn't. I'd rather have the smaller box.

There's no USB charging on this mod, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'll leave that up to you to decide, for most of us that own chargers it's obviously not a problem, but it does mean that despite this kit coming with 'everything you need' this isn't really suitable as a 'starter kit' for new vapers that might not have a charger yet.

There's an LED behind the button and the soft finish magnetic resin panel is really nice and fits perfectly, as does the 'mesh' bottom plate that pops on with magnets too.

WP_20180615_13_34_49_Pro.jpg

The bottle system is the familiar Wismec/Eleaf jobbie and it works well here, I don't have any issues with this and I find it a simple and clean system in use. The Luxotic now comes with a soft metal capped silicon bottle too rather than the old harder plastic ones. other than that there's not much to see inside, clean, simple and compact.

box3.jpg

Moving on to the Tobhino RDA, this is my least favourite part of the kit and if you think I'm going to say something is great when it isn't (in my opinion) then you are just about to find out that isn't the case. Where do we start? ..... Noise, this is one hell of a noisy atomizer, it's sounds like a wind tunnel, it doesn't matter if it's wide open or closed down 'wwhhhooosshhh' ... and I can't be dealing with that. I don't like anything about the airflow on this, to me it's turbulent, noisy and too loose. I know that won't bother some people but it bothers me and it's my review. I also dislike the coil clamps and I find them fiddly and having to pre-cut your legs to the correct length can be frustrating. .... for the purpose of this review lets just say I don't really understand it's design and I think there's far better choices around for a squonkable RDA, especially if this is your first venture into squonking.

In conclusion, I love the Luxotic BF and would recommend it to anyone interested in a device like this, if the kit is only a little more than the mod on it's own I would recommend getting the kit also, because you can always trade or sell the Tohbino if it doesn't suit you. If the mod on it's own is much cheaper than the kit or you have an atty that you like already I would recommend buying the mod on it's own.

At the moment the Kit is $51

https://www.healthcabin.net/wismec-luxotic-kit-p/17599.html

And the Luxotic BF on it's own is $36

https://www.healthcabin.net/wismec-luxotic-mod-p/17600.html

... you know which I would recommend. :)

Thanks for reading, I'll be putting the Tohbino RDA up as a giveaway at some point, so if you'd like to try it out keep your eyes open for that.

... and once again a huge thanks to Maggie @Healthcabin who have a special World Cup thing going on at the moment.

https://vape.healthcabin.net/world-cup-fever-pitch-festival/

Come on England!

Last edited:
Best squonker out qua price/performance/quality.
Shame about the bottom cover but thats my little nit pick.

Best squonker out qua price/performance/quality.
Shame about the bottom cover but thats my little nit pick.

It's a great mod, and a bit of a bargain really. I have my Le Concorde on it now and it's by far the nicest squonk I've used.

What don't you like about the bottom cover? ... does it flip out when you squonk? Mine did that with the included RDA but not with anything else, I think it's because as @eyeball kid pointed out the hole in the squonk pin with the Tohbino isn't big enough really.

It's a great mod, and a bit of a bargain really. I have my Le Concorde on it now and it's by far the nicest squonk I've used.

What don't you like about the bottom cover? ... does it flip out when you squonk? Mine did that with the included RDA but not with anything else, I think it's because as @eyeball kid pointed out the hole in the squonk pin with the Tohbino isn't big enough really.
It is a cracker and a worthy squeeze successor. I'm not a fan of mech squonkers as I've said before but this with the safety button is spot on.
The bottom plate has held fast on mine. As you say the provided rda is as good as any other I've used of that style I'd just advise quickly sealing the 510 pin. No biggie and at about a quid for three from ft it's not an expensive upgrade either.

I'd recommend trying out the jorda rda for mtl. It comes in black and has virtually the same deck as le Concorde. Looks sweeet.

It is a cracker and a worthy squeeze successor. I'm not a fan of mech squonkers as I've said before but this with the safety button is spot on.
The bottom plate has held fast on mine. As you say the provided rda is as good as any other I've used of that style I'd just advise quickly sealing the 510 pin. No biggie and at about a quid for three from ft it's not an expensive upgrade either.

I'd recommend trying out the jorda rda for mtl. It comes in black and has virtually the same deck as le Concorde. Looks sweeet.
Spot on review as ever bud.

I will second the noise though.
I think I commented in another thread I was testing this while watching "a quiet place" on showbox and I was getting some wicked looks, far scarier than the film from Mrs kid.
It's tasty with some brochrome but she's not quiet.

Great review mate thinking of getting one of those mods like the sound of the rda too sounds right up my street i do like a airy rda........

Must agree about the clamps on the tobhino a bit hit and miss
But the Luxotic itself I really like for size and shape

I do like the look of this mod and if i do ever end up getting one i defo wont be getting the kit now. Nice reveiw

Back
Top Bottom