What's new

Review Joyetech Dolphin.

bellyman

Veteran
Bought and paid for with my own money, so this is my opinion, not POTV's.

Off the back of Joyetechs Penguin, comes the rather bulbous looking Dolphin.
Lets take a look at the lineup.
atopack-dolphin-starter-kit-by-joyetech-396.jpg

Joyetech see's a Dolphin, I see an Orca. but who's to argue. In the box comes the usual usb and two JVIC coils.
in the box.jpg

Simple, a nice big clicky button and 5 power lights to let you know the state of the charge.
ATOPACK_DOLPHIN_02.png

For a pod mod, it isnt small. But fits ergonomically in the hand and isnt too bulky for your pocket.
size.jpg

The Pod is a big boy, even the 2ml compliant tank is big (there is an optional 6ml tank) but it does have to hold the coil.
pod and coil.jpg

The JVIC (Juice Vertical Injection Coil) has remained unchanged since the Atopack Penguin.
jvic coil system.png

These coils are specially designed for use with the Atopack pods and are capable of producing excellent vapor and flavor. Coils are rated at 0.25 ohms for direct lung users.
joyetech-penguin-and-dolphin-atopack-replacement-coil-heads.jpg

Joyetech has also introduced a new, 1.2-ohm coil head (JVIC3), catering more directly to MTL users.
coil and mtl tip.jpg

Fitting the coil easy, pull off the pod and put it in, no screwing, no faff.
fitting the coil.jpg

Filling the pod is via the usual side filling plug, theres no need to remove the coil to fill the pod as you did on the Penguin. Its just a shame that its almost impossible to see the juice level because of the dark pod, a clear section would have made filling easier.
filling.jpg

It has a simple power indicator on the side of the 2100mAh battery and quick charges at 2amps, so recharges are done in about an hour.
charging battery.jpg

The only reason I bought the Dolphin was because it was heavily discounted and only came in Orange. A 50 watt pod mod for a tenner, I'll have some of that!
Opening the box and the orange mod I had ordered came in a rather fetching pinky colour, reminiscent of a cheap Chinese lady pleasuring device. :hmm: I half expected it to vibrate when I turned it on and to my wifes dissapointment, it didnt.

The 0.25ohm DL coil was primed with 18mg 50/50 juice, popped in the pod and left to stand for 5 minutes. Time to see what this puppy, sorry Dolphin, will do.
With the DL coil fitted, the airflow is fantastic. No resistance, just breath in and let that vapor fill your lungs. The flavour is as it should be with my juice and cloud production is spectacular. This sea mammal has suprised me, it must be putting out the full 50 watts with this coil because I couldnt quite get a day out of its 2100mAh battery. You will be filling that 2ml pod often, so if you can, get the 6ml pod.

After the pleasant suprise I had from the direct lung, sub-ohm coil, it was time to test the 1.2ohm mouth to lung coil.
Primed with 50/50 nic salts and left to stand, as always and the rubber mothpiece was attached.
Joyetech-ATOPACK-Dolphin-Mouthpiece.jpg

Suprise moment!
This is the first pod system with fixed airflow that Ive tested that actually delivers on the 'mouth to lung' promise. It has a nice resistance to it that would keep any quitter or die hard MTL'er happy. Further inspection of the coil reveals a rubber grommet at the exit side of the coil to restrict the airflow. It works superb. Both of the coils lasted a week before the flavour dropped off, which is about usual for any of my devices.
The battery coped well all day at 1.2 ohms, the flavour is good and vapor production is also good.

Pro's
50 watts
Good coils
Fast charging
Ergonomic
Cheap
A real MTL or DL experience

Con's
Battery life at sub-ohm
Difficulty seeing the juice level when refilling
One of the larger pod systems

In conclusion
I didnt expect to like this pod system, but Joyetech got it right with this one. Whilst most pods claim to be mtl or dl, they usual dont deliver, leaving everybody unhappy. With all of the latest pod systems being released, you may overlook this one, but its a gem. All be it an ugly one :D

Back
Top Bottom