What's new

Turning a broken regulated squonker into a mech

conanthewarrior

Achiever
hi everyone, I had a DNA40 clone squonker and the board gave up the ghost.

I tore the board out, and found that if I connect the red and black wires at the top of the mod to the red and black wires at the bottom of the mod, when I touch the last two together it fires, like a mech mod. I need to switch them though so red goes to black for both wires- black to black and red to red doesn't work.

Obviously, I will need a switch. I just wanted to make sure before I buy a switch, will this be safe to do? As in simply wiring it to be a mech mod instead of regulated. It does fire when I press the last wire in place, so seems like it will work.

Which switch would you recommend? it needs to be 10MM maximum in diameter, so it can fit in the standard switch hole.

Thanks, Conan.

I’d look at potentially upgrading the wires, reg wiring tends to be a bit moe forgiving than mech.
Based on my own experience of building a ‘mech’ squonker, you might want to consider a mosfet as it’s hard to get hold of a momentary switch small enough to fit, yet man enough to handle the load applied.

I’d look at potentially upgrading the wires, reg wiring tends to be a bit moe forgiving than mech.
Based on my own experience of building a ‘mech’ squonker, you might want to consider a mosfet as it’s hard to get hold of a momentary switch small enough to fit, yet man enough to handle the load applied.
Ok then, I will look into a MOSFET. Are they hard to install? I have basic soldering skills.

Ok then, I will look into a MOSFET. Are they hard to install? I have basic soldering skills.
Not in themselves, mine was a bit fiddly because I'd tucked it away under the battery sled.
Also, they need to be bridged with a resistor, so you're soldering three things at once.

The 0 Ohm resistor is only if you want to use a remote switch rather than the onboard one. Click on the wiring diagram and you'll see.

Back
Top Bottom