What's new

Pulse 80W & Recurve RDA impressions...

sandman_dreaming

Initiate
Well my fellow apes, Mr Postman brought me my latest purchases this morning - the Wotofo Recurve RDA and the Vandy Vape Pulse 80W bottom-fed squonk mod to sit it on. I went for the mod in Fantastic Blue and the Recurve in Rainbow.

squonk4_reduced.jpg squonk2_reduced.jpg squonk3_reduced.jpg squonk1_reduced.jpg

First the mod - using an 18650 I fitted it in the provided adapter and the mod powered up with no problem. The display is very bright and clear, probably the brightest display of the three mods I own (Tesla Nano 120 and the Alien 220W) so it should be perfect if you're squonking outside. The box seems to be pretty well machined with everything fitting together well. Both the front and back resin panels come off allowing access to the squonk bottle and battery. The panels are held on with magnets and, once on the mod, they sit perfectly flush with the body. There is no rattle or movement and I don't see them falling off any time soon. The buttons are firmly fitted without movement and have a very positive feel in use.

As a virgin squonker filling the bottle proved interesting! Well, filling it wasn't the problem, but I struggled getting it back inside the mod without juice coming out of the tube before it was in place. Having got the 'High End' Pulse kit it came with a 30ml filling bottle - so Plan B. I decanted the juice from the bottle inside the mod into the filling bottle and added some more having ended up involuntarily washing my hands in the stuff. One thing I've learned is that I'll be using more juice (previously I've been using Innokin Ares and other similar-sized tanks). Attaching the filling bottle to the mod 510 connector I managed to fill the mod bottle without serious issue. Turn mod with fill bottle attached upside down, squeeze air in mod squonk bottle, then turn mod and fill bottle the other way round and squeeze the fill bottle - you should see liquid being transferred into the mod squonk bottle. Repeat as necessary ( I wouldn't fill the squonk bottle right to the top, but leave a gap). It's difficult to describe, but easy to do.

As my first ever RDA the Recurve is proving to be a forgiving and excellent squonk platform. Firstly, building the deck is a breeze. get yourself a coil, trim the legs, place legs in the holes, screw tight, make any adjustments if needed. That's it! I'm currently using one of the supplied coils that come with the Recurve (think it's a fused Clapton of some description coming out at 0.25 Ohms). Wicking is equally straightforward - as usual you want just the right amount of cotton, not too much and not too little. I cut my cotton 'wings' about 1cm out from the coil. This left enough cotton to bend down into the relatively shallow juice wells. I then bedded the cotton in with a liberal dose of juice (Cheeky Monkey's Pop my Cherry).

And then the moment of truth - giving the squonk bottle a good squeeze I had my first squonk! Wow! The flavour was amazing and I was running the mod at just 30W just for starters. I'm not one for extremely hot vaping, so this temperature was fine for me. But the flavour! Did I mention the flavour? Now I must admit that I then proceeded to chain-vape that puppy chucker (as Rip Trippers would say). What this meant was that I'm probably one of the very few people in the entire world to get this RDA to leak. I'm assuming that the heat of chain-vaping the Recurve over 5-10 minutes caused the liquid to lose its viscosity and I managed to get a slight dribble out of one of the air holes. Note....a dribble out of one of the air holes. The design of this RDA is amazing. You can squonk so that liquid literally fills the entire housing and covers the coil and walls of the deck. Let go of the bottle and the liquid drains perfectly back down leaving the wick saturated for a perfect vape. And nothing comes out of the side air holes. I think the only way to get this to leak is to super heat it by extended chain vaping and then you may - may - get a dribble. From what I've seen some squonk setups entail you wearing full chemical protection equipment if you don't want to end up swimming in juice. With the Recurve I'd have a little paper tissue in the house just in case.

The air flow is easily adjustable by simply rotating the main cap. The air flow seems super smooth without the sound of a Rolls Royce engine every time you breathe in. The cap does get quite hot, but I would think that's pretty normal with this type of RDA where the height is low and the coil is sitting so close to your mouth. Having said that, the drip tip supplied doesn't get anywhere near uncomfortable.

So, to finish this short impression I have to say I'm 110% pleased I got this combination of the Pulse 80W and the Recurve. So far I've only used it with one liquid, but I'm looking forward to trying it with some other flavours I have. Based on my first few hours with it I know the flavour is going to be amazing! Yes, some may find the whole idea of squonking as inconvenient with all that bottle filling, etc., but the flavour, particularly the after taste, makes it an amazing experience. I'll probably reserve squonking for when I'm at home and unwinding. As an entry to the weird and wonderful world of squonking and RDA's go treat yourself!

Nice review mate, thinking of getting a recurve and found this useful

This ia a great read and fantastic review. Thankyou. Big thumbs up from me .

Nice easy reading review, using the same setup I'd agree entirely, I would recommend you get yourself a pair of good 20700 batteries, especially if you intend to up the wattage.

I’m going to have to stop reading these reviews, I want one now.
Cracking looking piece of kit there mate, nice review.

A good review, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I may have to have a closer look at the recurve. Loving the look of your setup.

Agreed, nice write up :)

I've got the Pulse 80 and it's pretty good, the screen is great outdoors too.

My only slight grumble with the Pulse 80 is the battery life, vaping a single coil Ni80 at 45 watts it lasts me less than a bottle of juice and I'm using a 20700 (Fogstar), but that the trade off compared to the weakening drop off of the Pulse Mech so I'm more than happy with it.

I have a Recurve on order so looking forward to trying that out.

Back
Top Bottom