What's new

Tubbyengineers Health thread...

Tubbyengineer

Legend
Ok, as I've just quit smoking - unintentionally by the way (I took up vaping in order to save money and by yesterday just 14 days later found I couldn't stand the taste of the real ones) I've decided to start a thread detailing my lung function and O2 saturation levels as well as pulse. Pulse readings might be a bit skewed as at 22 stone I could be best described as a tad overweight or possibly just fecking enormous . However I do have access to a peak flow meter and a pulse / oximeter so I will take weekly readings. This will allow us all to see what changes Vaping makes to my health and at least put some measurable if not particularly scientifically rigorous numbers to those results...

Today on peak flow: 370, 370, 400
Today on Pulse: 99!
Today on O2:94%

As a bench mark my 72 year old father who has Pulmonary fibrosis blew 350, Pulse 104, O2: 95%

In future I will include only my own results but this gives a base to start from.

Oooh just thought of this - Tommorrow I will take O2 readings (which I'll call sats from now on - short for Blood Oxygen saturation) Before, During and After vaping which will give some interesting data too...

For information: Peak flow is taken as three readings using a standard mini-wright peak flow device and pulse / sats using a finger clamp type infra red pulse oximeter.

In future all posts with readings will have the title formatted as "Readings for DD-MM-YY", this will make them easier to find within the thread amongst the other comments and ideas...

Thank you all for your interest and participation...

Last edited:
Ok, as I've just quit smoking - unintentionally by the way (I took up vaping in order to save money and by yesterday just 14 days later found I couldn't stand the taste of the real ones) I've decided to start a thread detailing my lung function and O2 saturation levels as well as pulse. Pulse readings might be a bit skewed as at 22 stone I could be best described as a tad overweight or possibly just fecking enormous . However I do have access to a peak flow meter and a pulse / oximeter so I will take weekly readings. This will allow us all to see what changes Vaping makes to my health and at least put some measurable if not particularly scientifically rigorous numbers to those results...

Today on peak flow: 370, 370, 400
Today on Pulse: 99!
Today on O2:94%

As a bench mark my 72 year old father who has Pulmonary fibrosis blew 350, Pulse 104, O2: 95%

In future I will include only my own results but this gives a base to start from.

Oooh just thought of this - Tommorrow I will take O2 readings (which I'll call sats from now on - short for Blood Oxygen saturation) Before, During and After vaping which will give some interesting data too...

For information: Peak flow is taken as three readings using a standard mini-wright peak flow device and pulse / sats using a finger clamp type infra red pulse oximeter.
Brilliant idea, I'll be very interested in seeing how this goes. It's a shame you didn't get any readings from when you still smoked but I reckon we will still see a difference :)

Geezus Tubby, and I thought I was a fat bastard!! You're my stand next to bloke in the bar!!

Its only been a fortnight so probably not that much, but previous times on peak flow - about 3 months ago I was struggling to blow 350...:eeek:

Tubbyengineer & ScottChensoda I'm sure you both would look svelte standing next to me. I wont reveal the weight as it is quite frankly embarrassing and soon to be operated on, but I'm 6'2".
Tubby, I'm very interested in your experiment, I should of made an appointment with practice nurse for sats and peak flow as they havent been done since I quit, but it is measure enough that I rarely touch my inhalers now, even to transport my sizable girth around. I will get round to posting on this thread with my results!

I used to joke that I wanted an equator not a waistline, now i just wish things would stop orbiting me...

F=G(M1xM2/d2) - I make a point of not sitting near other fat people like me, we'd collide.

It does explain why there's so many fat people in the States, they're attracting each other and the combined mass is pulling more fatties in. People should be worried because soon a giant fat black hole will form.

Readings for 29-08-13

As promised I've just taken a fresh set of readings before and after vaping... :D

Before
Peak Flow: 360. 350, 370
Pulse 84
Sats 96%

After vaping using TW Raspberry Menthol in a Odyssey, With Odyssey Tank and Carto
Peak flow: 400, 370, 400
Pulse 88
Sats 97%

I'd say these were interesting results as it seems to prove that Vaping has no effect, or possibly even a positive effect on lung function. So for the sake of completeness and some semblance of scientific rigour, I've decided I will repeat the experiment daily over the next week.

I was expecting a slight drop in sats due to the vapour and the act of physically holding it in the lungs for a short period but that does not seem to have happened - most interesting! I'd welcome some thoughts on the subject...

Last edited:
Interesting thread! I was going to ask what your starting point was when you still smoked but PF beat me to it. Well done by the way!

Back
Top Bottom