Innokin
What's new

RTA Coil - Sudden dry burned hits - Wick snapped in half?

StevenC

Postman
Hey everyone,

So I thought I'd made the perfect coil yesterday. Lovely flavour, looked great in the tank and was performing well.

Fast forward to about an hour ago and it was nasty dry hits, burnt flavour and generally crappy vape.

Also, and maybe this is just coincidence it seemed like my juice was just disappearing a lot quicker (no leak).

I'm using a Crius 2 single coil rta by the way on an 80 watt mod with a .42 DIY spaced coil (well I was).

Anyway I stripped it down and first of all the coil looked like it had shrunk, it looked like it had re coiled itself to virtually touching again (a tight no gap coil, still don't know their name yet lol)

It also look generally really scorched.

Then I got my tweezers to pull the wick out and it was basically already in half within the coil and looked pretty scorched in the centre.

Any reason this would happen? Maybe not enough wick?

I've just rebuilt the lot and added a bit more cotton this time.

I will take pictures if it happens again and also take pictures of my build next time to show coil placement and the wicking.

I've already rebuilt it now so I've missed the chance with this one.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Royal Flush Vape
Vape Green
Coil displacing.
After youve built it do you heat it gently to make sure its glowing properly?
And also after this did you nip the screws again just in case its become loose with the heat?
Just making sure as it shouldnt move once built.

Coil displacing.
After youve built it do you heat it gently to make sure its glowing properly?
And also after this did you nip the screws again just in case its become loose with the heat?
Just making sure as it shouldnt move once built.
Hi @StrawberryRipple thanks for popping in again.

Yeah I heat the coils dry before wicking moving from low watts to higher to make sure they glow from the middle outwards.

I then wick, prime fire a little more. Then one final tighten and assemble the tank.

Vape Superstore
Hi @StrawberryRipple thanks for popping in again.

Yeah I heat the coils dry before wicking moving from low watts to higher to make sure they glow from the middle outwards.

I then wick, prime fire a little more. Then one final tighten and assemble the tank.
As for the wick burning in the middle like that i dont believe the reasons why have been solved completely.
Its quite common and the only guarantee for sure is somehow the cotton burns so must have become dry at the spot where its burnt.
Could be a hot spot in the coil.
Could be the cotton is too tight creating a dry spot.
Or as @TartanSpartan says could be crystallized particles accumulating which would get far far hotter.
Could be anything tbh.

AcmeFog
Mine work and read the resistance they should and I never heat them up. Never had one not work or read the resistance it should.

The Electronic Cigarette Company
Back
Top Bottom