What's new

More bad publicity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no mention of tobacco or smoking in any of those links either.
Just as i think you were understanding you go and post this.
In fact the wikipedia article says smoking might be a protective factor for people that work in popcorn factories.

Ok lets go the long way round.

Its well documented that you absorb diacetyl by inhaling cigarette smoke in far greater volumes than you do by inhaling diacetyl containing vapour.

Its also well documented that inhaling diacetyl causes popcorn lung (Bronchiolitis obliterans).
causes
The only thing that is not well documented is the diagnosed cases caused by smoking.
The reasons its not very well documented it that it is often undiagnosed as the symptoms of popcorn lung are the same as other conditions.

Just as i think you were understanding you go and post this.

Ok lets go the long way round.

Its well documented that you absorb diacetyl by inhaling cigarette smoke in far greater volumes than you do by inhaling diacetyl containing vapour.

Its also well documented that inhaling diacetyl causes popcorn lung (Bronchiolitis obliterans).
causes
The only thing that is not well documented is the diagnosed cases caused by smoking.
The reasons its not very well documented it that it is often undiagnosed as the symptoms of popcorn lung are the same as other conditions.

So you’ve deduced this yourself? It’s not documented anywhere other than this thread?

So you’ve deduced this yourself? It’s not documented anywhere other than this thread?

Are you used to people doing things for you?
Dont mean to be rude but you are coming across as lazy.
You are ok asking the questions but not interested enough to be bothered to look for the information yourself.
Almost troll like behavour?

Explaining that popcorn lung has been around for years before vaping or even before the first recognised case identified in its name sake factory is not easy.
Popcorn lung is simply the name given to the case of bronchiolitis obliterans identified to have been directly caused Diacetyl exposure during the manufacturing of popcorn.
Smoking causes a multitude of pulmonary diseases but none of them will be called popcorn lung as cigarettes dont contain popcorn.
The smoking related equivalent to popcorn lung will be diagnosed as bronchiolitis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (copd).

Hopefully the below will explain better than i can.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214750015300767

Extract from above link
"Fixed airway obstruction, including BO disease, is a subset of conditions under the general category of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD"
BO standing for "Bronchiolitis obliterans"

Extract from above link

"Table 1. Generally accepted diagnostic criteria for bronchiolitis obliterans disease.

Pulmonary function tests show clinically important fixed obstructive deficits indicating small airways disease without appreciable impacts on total lung volume and gas exchange measurements.

The obstructive changes are resilient to treatment by corticosteroids or bronchodilators.

The patient⿿s lungs show a mosaic pattern of attenuation on high resolution computed tomography (HRCT) scans indicating air trapping,

The diagnostic criteria used for BO disease overlap with the manifestations of other lung disorders having variable etiologies. For example, mosaic lung attenuation has also been observed in asthma and emphysema [52,92]. There are also similarities with clinical presentation and pulmonary function testing between BO disease and other obstructive lung diseases [52]. In addition to a detailed medical and exposure history, a lung biopsy is often essential to distinguish BO disease from various other diseases potentially affecting the bronchioles [73].

Laohaburanakit and colleagues [52] noted that:

⿿In the case of BO that is not related to transplantation, the diagnosis is much more challenging and requires a high index of suspicion. The clinical presentation, as well as pulmonary function testing characteristics of BO, are non-specific and resemble other obstructive diseases such as asthma and COPD [chronic bronchitis and emphysema]. [⿯] Surgical lung biopsy, either by open lung biopsy or video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) is usually required when BO occurs outside of transplantation and the diagnosis cannot be made by transbronchial biopsy.⿿

I’ve seen that thread before. Not sure if I’ve read through all of it, but can you point out specifically what you think I should see in there? I think we might have crossed wires.
Not sure we had crossed wires i was probably presumptuous thinking it was easy to understand but truth is it was particularly difficult to explain as the above post probably shows so please forgive my ignorance.

Not sure we had crossed wires i was probably presumptuous thinking it was easy to understand but truth is it was particularly difficult to explain as the above post probably shows so please forgive my ignorance.

Ok, so I’ve read something along these lines before, from a different source I think, but still doesn’t support your statement. From everything I’ve read I’ve not heard of a single diagnosis of popcorn lung/bo/whatever you want to call it being attributed to smoking. If we consider the amount of people who have died from smoking related illness this would surely be something to consider, no? And I think that what you read into the statement on the wikipedia page about smoking appearing to be a protective factor might not be quite right. Maybe you could explain in more detail though? I’m interested.

I just skimmed the whole diacetyl sticky thread you linked as well, and don’t see anything relating to this there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom