What's new

The old Illness from Vaping

I notice the prevailing opinion here is that it can't be an allergy since it showed up after seven months of vaping, however this is not entirely true. Adult onset allergies can happen at any time in life and the causes are obscure, but one theory is that exposure to an allergen at a time when the immune system is vulnerable can cause them. If I thought I was allergic to any of the ingredients in ejuice I would ask my doctor for an allergy test and possibly a referral to an allergy clinic, which is available on the NHS. I certainly wouldn't go on his hunch though when it is possible to establish it beyond doubt.

I would go back to your Doc and explain all the variations you've tried and ask for further tests. Doctors will suggest the most likely cause and that will help the majority of people. You are the exception. I'm sure he would help you further as you are so determined to kick the fags and this one thing will have a major effect on your long term health. Good luck and I hope you find the cause soon.

I have a couple of ideas on this subject, all the evidence does seem a little strange as you clearly are not sensitive to Glycerin.

I'm relatively new to vaping, but whenever I gave up the cigs and started vaping for about the first week or two I got some feverish symptoms, my self diagnosis was withdrawl from the other harmful chemicals contained in cigs, it wasn't as bad as you described but definitely a milder form.

You say that you back and forth from smoking anologs, I wonder is this you getting a "relapse of the same symptoms I got? or perhaps a build up of nicotine if you are combining the two in short periods?

Another thought is this could be psychosomatic? your mind may be tricking your body into going back to the cigs with the other chemicals, bit of a long shot, but it seems like an odd case.

Mmmm you might have a point there. I want to get to the bottom of it that is for sure and I'll try anything to cure it.

Then go demand a prick test for PG/VG intolerance.

And do you take steroids?

Now that you have subconsciously associated the ecigs with your problems the recurrence could very well be psychosomatic..

Drug companies are having a helluva time lately bringing new drugs to market because primarily the performance of the PLACEBOS is outdoing the performance of the drugs themselves. There are many instances of people suffering wild side effects from whatever they have been trialing only then to be told by the professionals running the test that they were on sugar pills. There was publicized case last month I believe -cannot remember the source - but it mentioned that a person taking a trial overdosed on the pills and was sent to hospital with low blood pressure and irregular hearth rhythm - when it was confirmed that they were on the placebo pills their condition immediately improved..

The problem here now is that if you are suffering psychosomatic symptoms it would be extremely hard to give them to you unknowingly in order to test it as you would have to knowingly and willingly vape to test it out.

personally I would never use market liquids and I have had many reports of people not getting on with VIP juice - one of them being a woman i now make juices for.. I would be suspicious of a few things.

Get someone to make you just a juice with PG/VG and Nothing else and vape that. Make notes - then if there is again a reaction try a 100% PG mix and then just a 100%VG mix - you wouldn't have to vape a lot by the sound of it - that would easily eliminate or confirm either of those two - then that would leave Nicotine itself (unlikely but still possible) and then the flavours themselves (very likely the cause)

There are certain flavourings I simply cannot touch at all - some that I can only have for a few hours (cos I like the taste) and some that i can do all day.. For example - i recently confirmed via a few repeat tests that a specific brand of RY4 immediately gives me a good old foggy head whenever I vape it.. Another brand of mint rips the hell out of my throat - and a certain brand of grape makes me cough like crazy..

Has the juice vendor used a sweetener? Are you allergic to sucralose? Or ethyl maltol - I am currently testing ethyl maltol as it seems I personally have a problem with it.
Tutti frutti gives me acute rhinitis every time without fail! Koolada irritates my tonsils and gives me indigestion every time. Coffee if vaped for more than a day causes blistering on my gums.

Remember flavouring UNLIKE foods are exposed to us when we vape on a much more chronic basis as compared to actual oral consumption and any issues that do not appear when we say drink coffee or eat Lemons may appear if we expose to the same flavourings on a more constant basis.

I'm betting it is either a flavoring problem or a developing Nickel allergy - if you rebuild try making coils with Kanthal instead and see if it still happens.

Also consider buying some Unflavoured juice from a vendor - AFTER you have trialed the PG and VG like I suggested and confirmed or eliminated them and then get some flavourings from say some like Decadent Vapours and try making your own flavours and eliminating the flavours one by one and/or making up your own intolerance list as I am doing...

I've said ti before and I'll say it again in this vaping lark is the flavourings which are the great unknown variables...

I think I might have cracked the problem. I've had some new cartomisers over the last few months, when I've been vaping they've been giving off a funny taste like a burning taste, after I'd used them I was laid up with flu like symptoms.

The other day I found a cartomiser that I'd left in the cupboard some weeks ago with some juice still in it, I thought I'll give that a go, I screwed it onto my battery and Vaped away, there was no bad smell or taste and I could taste the banana flavour on every vape, I thought this smells and tastes really nice.

When I was using the other cartomisers on the 2nd vape I was getting that burning taste with no flavour from the juice at all.

I've been out and brought two new cartomisers and filled them with juice, I've not used them yet I'm going to let the juice soak into the wicks. I'm going to leave them a week before I use them.

Back
Top Bottom