Vape Club
What's new

Dry burn the coils or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murat_Cyp

Postman
Hi,

I was dry burning my coils before wicking first time and every time before changing the coils. I never wash and brush them. I just blow them off then wick.

I recently read conflicting ideas regarding the health consequences of dry burning.

What do you guys think of it? Any recent development in this area supporting or opposing dry burning coils?

Is there an alternative to this process, such as ultrasonic cleaner? If yes what do you recommend? Preferably something small and portable.

Thanks!

Innokin
If you use a spaced coil you dont need to dry burn when you first put them in. However, dry burning would still be necessary when the the coil gets gunked up. I think that stainless steel coils are less prone to gunking than kanthal, so this may be another option. Personally, I dry burn my coils but am not up on the science of it.

Also, if you use juice with little or no sweetener the coil and wick should last longer.

I always dry burn regardless of whether or not they're spaced. It burns off any residue from the manufacturing process and this can clearly be seen by the vapour created when dry burning a brand new coil. Personally, I don't want to vape that on my first drag. Having said that, I am a lot more careful when dry burning SS or Ni80 compared to Kanthal. Kanthal has been around for ever and is used in toasters and can take much higher temperatures than the other metal types. With Ni80 and SS I only pulse gently for a very short period just to remove any residue.

Vape Green
I always dry burn regardless of whether or not they're spaced. It burns off any residue from the manufacturing process and this can clearly be seen by the vapour created when dry burning a brand new coil. Personally, I don't want to vape that on my first drag. Having said that, I am a lot more careful when dry burning SS or Ni80 compared to Kanthal. Kanthal has been around for ever and is used in toasters and can take much higher temperatures than the other metal types. With Ni80 and SS I only pulse gently for a very short period just to remove any residue.

Thanks for the answer. What about dry burning before re-wicking process?

If you're making your own coils then cost isn't much of an issue, so I would follow @Mitz advice but use the coils only once.

If you're buying premade or cash is tight, then brush them off under hot water first to keep the dry burn to a minimum.

Elux
If you're making your own coils then cost isn't much of an issue, so I would follow @Mitz advice but use the coils only once.

If you're buying premade or cash is tight, then brush them off under hot water first to keep the dry burn to a minimum.

Where did he say that, I missed it I guess. I do not mind using the coils once as wires are cheap. But I am changing wicks in every few days. Is that mean I need throw out coils in every few days?

Where did he say that, I missed it I guess. I do not mind using the coils once as wires are cheap. But I am changing wicks in every few days. Is that mean I need throw out coils in every few days?

He didn't say that lol. I said "but" use the coils once.

I don't know if you've heard of Doctor Michael Farsalinos - he's a leading heart surgeon and advocate of vaping, and he recommends not dry burning repeatedly as the chances of aldehydes being created increases each time.

AcmeFog
Thanks for the answer. What about dry burning before re-wicking process?
It really depends on the state of the coils. If they're really gunked up I will gently pulse them but not enough to get them glowing. Just a few pulses so there's no more vapour coming off them and then I''ll re-wick. If they're not badly gunked up I just give them a little bit of a brush with a small wire brush and run them under the tap, dry them off and rewick. Thing is to try and keep it to a minimum and get them as hot as you need but not excessively hot. There's absolutely no need, in my experience, to get them glowing bright orange and for several seconds like I see some reviewers do. Just gentle pulses is all that's necessary. Once they stop producing vapour they're good and that's achieved with very moderate temperature.

I don't personally bother but I know some people dry burn using temp mode with the temp set at a non-excessive temp.

The point about this is that we don’t inhale the vapour from a toaster element.

I dont really ever dry burn since reading Farsolinas’ article where he advises against it. Better to not introduce possible additional health risks of they’re not necessary. I’m a lazy sod, yet even I can just stick a new coil in the tank. It’s less hassle than dry burning anyway.

Royal Flush Vape
He didn't say that lol. I said "but" use the coils once.

I don't know if you've heard of Doctor Michael Farsalinos - he's a leading heart surgeon and advocate of vaping, and he recommends not dry burning repeatedly as the chances of aldehydes being created increases each time.

Sorry bout that Ment. I think too much reading burned my brain. No, I did not hear of him. In that case, shall I throw coils in every few days when I change a wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom