What's new

The old Illness from Vaping

Nidge

Postman
I've been vaping since January of this year but the last 5-6 weeks I've been on my backside with aches and pains, headaches and major flu like symptoms. I've been to the Doctor who did blood tests etc etc and all came back clear. I told him that I'd given up smoking and congratulated me on my giving up, he asked me how I'd given up? I said "I've been on the Vapour Tanks", the reply was "hmmmmm, that explains your flu like symptoms".

He asked me if I'd got any of the juice on me? I said "I've got some in the car". He asked me to go and fetch it so he could have a look.

When I went back into his room he looked at the bottle and again the reply was "hmmmmmm" his worlds were, "it seems like your allergic to some of the ingredients like Glycerin". I asked him if that could be the cause of me feeling ill all the time? He said "yes some people are OK with it and some people aren't, you aren't OK with it.

He advised me to stop using the Vapour tank as he said that the liquid could be the main cause of me feeling ill and that there was no regulation as to where the liquid comes from or how it's made for example China and other countries.

I stopped using it that day and within hours I'd started to feel better, the next day there were no aches or pains nothing.

Last week I thought I'll give my Vapour tank a whirl and see what I'm like, I went and got some UK made juice with a 70VG/30PG mix, within minutes of using it I'd got a stinking headache, and within an hour I was on my backside again with flu like symptoms aching all over, I loaded up with Ibuprofen and off to bed I went feeling like I'd been run over by a Train.

Anyone else having any problems, I'm back on the ciggies and want to kick them into touch.

by the sounds of it , if you went for a 70/30 blend it could be the vg your having trouble with.

have to tried mixing your own juice , try making ( or buying) 100% pg juice and 100% vg juice.

that way youll find out which ingredient your allergic to.

by the sounds of it , if you went for a 70/30 blend it could be the vg your having trouble with.

have to tried mixing your own juice , try making ( or buying) 100% pg juice and 100% vg juice.

that way youll find out which ingredient your allergic to.

Yes I've tried everything 100% VG, VG/PG mix on all numbers but to no avail.

@thedarthVap3r bet me to it!!

You can buy 100% PG or VG from some vendors, only thing you will notice is that 100% PG will give great flavour and throat hit, whereas 100% VG will give great vapour, less flavour and only some throat hit from the nicotine.

I vape 50/50 and have never felt better in my life :D but we are all individuals and you have an intolerance to either PG or VG, possibly both, cause if it was the nicotine the ciggies would be knocking you flat :(

Last edited:
Yes I've tried everything 100% VG, VG/PG mix on all numbers but to no avail.

so if its not an allergy . umm do you think it could be your nicotine level is too high ?

ive recently dropped my lvl as it was given me headaches.

What about 100% PG?

It's a bit strange that you werent plagued by these symptoms within days or hours of first starting using an ecig.. most allergic reactions start up almost immediately...developing over that much time...is just...Odd.

I hope you aren't buying cheap juice and that where you are getting it from is reputable.

Do you get ill when you take cough syrup? (number 1 ingredient in it is Glycerin)

I would ask your GP to test you specifically for allergies to PG and VG first and foremost though.

so if its not an allergy . umm do you think it could be your nicotine level is too high ?

ive recently dropped my lvl as it was given me headaches.

Bang on! Nicotine over dose causes headaches, nausea, muscle aches AND gut issues!

I'm not a doctor.

I have two points regarding this allergy:

1. To my understanding allergic reactions are based on the body being sensitive to a protein. Vegetables do not contain protein...therefore VG would contain no protein.

IF there was an allergic reaction:

2. The noticeable thing would be a raised level of lymphocytes and immunoglobulins contained in the blood stream. This is precisely one of the things that I am assuming your blood test was looking for in relation to your flu-like symptoms...which you say came back clear.

I'm just saying this as his comments seem, well, odd. For someone to recommend a course of action without having clarified what the problem is seems bizarre to me. Ask him for a skin prick test in order to ascertain if you have a low tolerance for glycerin.

I'm not a doctor.

I have two points regarding this allergy:

1. To my understanding allergic reactions are based on the body being sensitive to a protein. Vegetables do not contain protein...therefore VG would contain no protein.

IF there was an allergic reaction:

2. The noticeable thing would be a raised level of lymphocytes and immunoglobulins contained in the blood stream. This is precisely one of the things that I am assuming your blood test was looking for in relation to your flu-like symptoms...which you say came back clear.

I'm just saying this as his comments seem, well, odd. For someone to recommend a course of action without having clarified what the problem is seems bizarre to me. Ask him for a skin prick test in order to ascertain if you have a low tolerance for glycerin.

+1 with Mawsley .. I'd talk to another doctor ... I doubt any doctor worth his salt would proclaim he knows what the cause is just by looking at a bottle

Any allergy testing is quite extensive and involves being submitted to many MANY tests to see what you react to - I cant imagine a doctor jumping to this conclusion in one sitting personally ... not a good one at any rate.

Ive heard of people getting nic headaches (from both Cigs and vaping), Ive heard of people having sensitivity to PG .. with is normally nose and throat irritations.

Ive never heard of anyone who vapes being put this far on their arse ... and their are a lot of vapers.

not saying it may not be the cause .. but I am saying to you need to get more extensive tests than your doctor poking around in your car and casting his eye over your bottle of nic juice.

Back
Top Bottom