What's new

New Research Claims E-Cigarettes are as Harmful as Traditional Tobaccos

HOV

Premium Vendor
3600.jpg

NEWS JUST IN:

On my way into work this morning the radio mentioned a study numerous times. This study of course was referred to as evidence that vaping is as harmful as smoking…

Of course, this got our attention. May this be another unfounded scare story?

The news of the research from the Department of Environmental Studies at New York University breaks, and now we see numerous provocative headlines across papers claiming new risks to e-cigarettes and vaping.

Once again we see an article citing a study with thread bare claims and mere speculation as conclusive evidence to give up the vape and light a fag…

In the guardians release today,

“Researchers found evidence that nicotine inhaled from e-cigarettes could be converted into chemicals that damage DNA in the heart, lungs and bladder, and dampen down the body’s genetic repair mechanisms.”

An article harking new research with incendiary findings, upon first glance, claims to have the case closed on whether e-cigarettes are as harmful as cigarettes.

Though as usual once you read the actual quotes from the professor in charge of the study you find his conclusion to be much the same as previous conclusionsThe results may take years to come in because cancer is such a slow process,”

Yes this does point to the fact that vaping may cause damage to health that is both unpredictable and avoidable, but this is also exactly where most studies tend to end up. Instead of, of course not saying that they are fine for your health, which would be irresponsible to do without a comprehensive and complete range of evidence stretching decades, instead of pointing out their numerous peer reviewed benefits when used to help stop smoking traditional cigarettes.

Peter Hajek, director of the Tobacco Dependence Research Unit at Queen Mary University of London has remarked upon the study and it’s claims.

“This study shows nothing at all about the dangers of vaping,”

He goes on to state…

“It doesn’t show that vaping causes cancer.”

So I think it is safe to assume that this is definitely much of the same. No real damage has been found to have occurred so the study has to end up saying. We just don’t know.

Once again the fumes whilst sitting in car on the way to work, were most likely much more harmful than a vape…

Let us know what you think!? Conclusive? or Clap-Trap?

Last edited:
i notice that.
I am confused now.
When I click on your Guardian link it says it is from Mon 11 Sept 2017

You linked an old article with the same picture a press association story.
There is a story today credited to the science editor.

Last edited:
i notice that.
I am confused now.
When I click on your Guardian link it says it is from Mon 11 Sept 2017

It appears that link was broken and automatically lead to the incorrect article...

Odd

I've corrected it now.

Have a read

Back
Top Bottom