What's new

Wicking (Kensei)

Akai_XIII

Postman
I'm pretty new to RTAs, I've had a few for a while and haven't quite got the knack for it yet... So I'm looking for pointers as to where I might be going wrong.

Here's the wick I had in (too much, dryish hits):
20180125_193200.jpg

So I started again:
20180125_193623.jpg
20180125_193652.jpg
20180125_193729.jpg
20180125_193851.jpg

Then juiced it up and put it back in the tank, flavour is better. Not dry... Any tips or pointers would be great though! I've ordered the Kylin Mini, Wotofo Bravo and Dead Rabbit SQ, so I'd like to improve.

This is how I have mine wicked. Coils as close to the honey come as poss with out touching. I cut my cotton level with the bottom of the juice well, put the thicker end in first and spread it till it fills the port then layer the thinner end in the port in front of the thicker end. Flavour improves when you the coils down low and make sure the whole coil is over the airflow holes.

Attachments

• 3B9FA1F9-36AD-42D7-B74F-9E0625284803.jpeg
    3B9FA1F9-36AD-42D7-B74F-9E0625284803.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
Thanks for the post! I've been using that wick for a few hours now and it's a lot better than before.

I have just recieved the kensi and wicked it the same as i do the kylin.
I dont thin the ends as such well not the conventional way at least.
I just pull the wicks right through then cut the ends level with the outer most diameter of the tank then lightly comb the tags that are left.
I then tug them half way back through and loosly tease whats left back into the juice wells.

My philisophy for wicking all tanks (Kensei included) is to keep the cotton as short as possible. The shorter the cotton the less distance the juice has to travel to the coil and the less cotton it has to pass thru to get there. Looking at the pictures posted I see way too much cotton and I would start by cutting a third of it away. I would use the outside of the base as a marker where to place my scissors to cut the cotton. I would then fluff the ends and start to gently tuck it in starting at the bottom of the cotton that is nearest the wick port and work my way up. You don't want the cotton packed in tight but tucked in lightly as cotton expands when wet. If it starts to feel tight as you tuck it in simply stop and snip off any remaining cotton that hasn't yet been tucked in. Coil should be nice and low and as close to the airlow vent as possbile without touching it. I have my coils sat about one and a half mm above the air vent.

The fourth picture is of me thinning out the cotton, I cut all of that off. I haven't had any dry hits and the flavour is a lot better. I lowered the wattage too, which has helped.

Thanks for the post, next time I redo it I'll keep it in mind. Thanks Mitz.

The fourth picture is of me thinning out the cotton, I cut all of that off. I haven't had any dry hits and the flavour is a lot better. I lowered the wattage too, which has helped.

Thanks for the post, next time I redo it I'll keep it in mind. Thanks Mitz.

No worries bud. Pic below demonstrates how short I cut my cotton. Utimately, I want the cotton to seal the top of the wick port to prevent leaking but I don't want the port to be full of cotton, I want it full of juice. The shorter the cotton the less distance and obstruction there is between the juice and coil. And by having the wick port full of juice instead of cotton the juice is brought even closer to the coil and allows for better wicking, reducing the potential for dry hits and improving flavour.

Wick port is sealed with cotton to prevent leaking but port is not full of cotton allowing it to fill with juice.

Click to enlarge.
IMAG1384.jpg

So it's sitting just in the port and not covering the tank part of the port? No leaks like that?

I'll give it a go next time I wick it up. I ordered the cotton and coils you recommended in another post. So when they turn up I'll give it a go. Thanks!

So it's sitting just in the port and not covering the tank part of the port? No leaks like that?

I'll give it a go next time I wick it up. I ordered the cotton and coils you recommended in another post. So when they turn up I'll give it a go. Thanks!
Yeah, you literally just need to cover the top of the wick slot where the cotton goes it. As long as it's covered with cotton at the top it wont leak a drop. But when you look into the wick slot from the side it should be empty and not full of cotton. Even if it's half full of cotton and half empty is fine as half the port hole will still fill up with juice. But you don't want it to be totally full of cotton so that there's no room for juice to get in there.

Which coils where they, the GeekVape fused Clapton?

Back
Top Bottom